Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: Nelson lakes fourum hunt 7 8 9 Nov 2014

Shit happens. You sound pretty fucked off in the video. Would have been the glory shot of the weekend.
    If it was easy there would be no deer left.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Dougie like this.

GWH
    Fuck fucken fuck fuck, I feel ya pain bro, I missed a walking deer at no more than 50 yds a few weeks back. Couldn't believe it either. Must have been rifle, checked it later, spot fucken on, so pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Fuck fucken fuck fuck, I feel ya pain bro, I missed a walking deer at no more than 50 yds a few weeks back. Couldn't believe it either. Must have been rifle, checked it later, spot fucken on, so pissed off.
    Yup a sika hind will live another day with my missed shot at 50m
    GWH likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Sounds like a theme going on here....

BEING A HAT IS GREAT MUCKOS HAT's Avatar
    You needed me there with you VC I would have steadied you aim
    veitnamcam, stingray and mikee like this.
    I MISS YOU MUCKO

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Sounds like a theme going on here....
    A buck fever epidemic outbreak up and down the country Gibo. I hope it isn't infectious.
    Munsey and Gibo like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    A buck fever epidemic outbreak up and down the country Gibo. I hope it isn't infectious.
    Yes Rushy screw Ebola I'm worried about this "buck fever ". They havnt found a cure yet , and this out break has been likened to " aids ", where is it gets mostly gay males

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Yes Rushy screw Ebola I'm worried about this "buck fever ". They havnt found a cure yet , and this out break has been likened to " aids ", where is it gets mostly gay males
    Munsey are you suggesting that there is something about Dougie the she hasn't told me?
    Pengy likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Munsey are you suggesting that there is something about Dougie the she hasn't told me?
    Must go there a race to watch !

Ohhhhhh, thems fighting words.......big boy
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

R93
    Cam. Your feed of whitebait is in Chris 's freezer now.
    I am staying for a couple days at his place shooting shit and hopefully going out for a fish.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Must go there a race to watch !
    What a side step!
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

BEING A HAT IS GREAT MUCKOS HAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Cam. Your feed of whitebait is in Chris 's freezer now.
    I am staying for a couple days at his place shooting shit and hopefully going out for a fish.
    Got any whitebait for me kuz?
    I MISS YOU MUCKO

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well for me it was an early start fri to find all my shit and pack it,for some reason I always leave this till the last possible moment
    Stingray arrived and out to Mikees to pick him and his boat up, un eventful drive up then met the guys and up to the hut.
    Shit roughly sorted and Munsey and Antsman were keen to fly camp somewhere the first night but didn't want to go tops as a bit early and recent snow.
    I suggested up the Durvil to Morgans hut as the Sabine is a part of a pretty popular loop for trampers and Morgans is just far enough that most spot lighters cant be arsed walking up there...... well I put them a bit crook, unbeknown to me the track had had a hiding from the wind which ment some crossings in the gorgey section which were probably "Interesting"

The rest of us headed off and captian Mikee dropped me at my chosen gully,I have hunted this one a few times and know it pretty well and how to avoid most of the tight shitty stuff and patches of wind fall.
    Stalking my way up in the heat of the afternoon I cursed my polarfleece pants and I leaked profusely but despite that I was feeling good and fit, the wind swirled and eddied as it always does at this level and I started to see fresher and fresher pig sign. Soon the un mistakable stench of pig was sent my way but with the wind swinging threw 150degrees I couldnt pin point where it should be.A strip of swampy stunted growth in front of me had to be it so I stalked forward in full ninja mode for about 20y and got another nose full of scent but never saw or heard it sneak off.
    I worked my way threw every spot I had seen or shot a deer over the years but fresh sign was non existent,they have to be higher up....
    Getting on for some clearings(read swamps)higher up the wind steadied itself as I got out of the lee of a main ridge as it does and I worked around keeping to the open bush to hunt back towards them into the wind.

Attachment 30996

I have seen- shot a few in the bush around here but never seen anything in the clearings themselves.Though I am mostly up here in winter and the clearings are cut up with prints from them playing/drying out after wet/cold weather.

I cut across the most down wind end of a clearing to check for sign.

Attachment 30997

Attachment 30998

There was none surprisingly, while it certainly isn't a dairy farmers paddock the first fresh pick was pushing up and I know this is irresistible to a bush deer.
    Continuing around in the bush in ninja mode into the wind I cut back in to have a look at the first bit of the main clearing, nothing no fresh sign and back to the bush where I found some fresh prints heading to the clearing, cutting back in with not high hopes I did my best to be quiet threw the stunted beech on the skirts. Then as I poked my head out was a little surprised to see the arse end of a deer out in the open but blocked from full view by a bush.
    I took another very slow step, Very slow to get my boot out of the slop without a huge suction sound like a keen bloke eating a fresh kina and now I could see a yearling hind in full view out in the open broadside on feeding.
    A younger me would have just swung up and smacked it in the shoulder then and there but instead I started getting my camera out of my pocket, I still wanted the meat but I wanted to photograph them first.
    I keep my waterproof camera in a ziplock bag to protect the screen and lens from scratches and this made some noise as I got it out, the one I had full view of heard this and looked straight at me on full alert ears and nose twitching, barely hidden behind a sparse stunted tree I froze but held my arm out to the side without taking my eyes of her and took some nice photos of the tree
    The breeze didn't betray me and eventually she put her head down and started to feed again
    I took another painfully slow step to the side to avoid the suction noise out of the bog and knelt in the slop with a spindly bush as a rest, I felt good not amped at all calm and collected.
    Two deer one definitely a yearling and the other ones arse looked about the same fed before me. Kneeling in the swamp I had a serviceable rest as I watched them I weighed my options.
    "If I shoot this one in the neck I might get a shot at the other one then I can carry the clean shot out whole and the shoulder shot I will just take hind quarters and back steaks"
    "Na that will make me late for pick up....no hang on I have a radio I will get within range and be able to tell Mikee I will be late"
    So plan in my head with a clear shot of everything but the neck I waited for her to feed forward a step lined up on the atlas joint and squeezed off.
    I was bloody shocked it didn't drop on the spot but spun and ran instead, the round I was instinctively chambering while the rifle recoiled had to be pointed at the rapidly disappearing first target instead of the other one that ran straight past me at 15 od yards.

I was literally stunned mullet....How the hell did I miss that?

Maybe some smart cunt wound my scope a turn out while I wasn't around, removed bolt and bore sighted,nup looks good .

The aftermath...contains some coarse language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBG-gzEOaNg

More later.

Well I had scared anything in the immediate area off so I charged off to gain some more alt but heading back to the pick up point in a roundabout fashion. As I climbed some fresh sign started to show and I slowed right down again but nothing was seen.
    Now I was going to be early for pick up, when I thought I was in range I tried Mikee on the radio just in case he was out early too. To my surprise he was and was getting eaten by sandflies at the pick up point I laughed and explained that one should get the hell away from shore as quick as possible then sit in the middle of the lake drinking beer away from the sandflys when waiting to pick up hunters, Gave him a brief run down of my tale of woe, unloaded and bolted straight down to the two 440ml cans I had left in a creek near the boat,they barely touched the sides.
    Mikee had a barstard of a time with wind fall so either my directions were not very good or he didn't follow them very well

Back at the hut first we lit the fire to heat the stew for tea, within minutes it was boiling hard on the outside and still frozen in the middle! Stingrays kiln dryed pine burnt so hot and fast that even shut right down it was still flat out so I went and found a big wet half rotten bit of wood and chucked it in to calm her down.
    A couple of guys turned up in a wee boat and were going to camp in the river flats and be out in the morning I let them know 2 of our party would be coming down this evening and another two the next day,and another wee boat with two turned up who wanted to hunt the flats and I politely suggested they would be better off at the Sabine.
    Stew warming we headed of to watch the flats near the mouth till dusk, no excitement there but some evidence of of activity.
    Just after dark we were all back at the hut for a feed and debrief and those of us who hadn't previously met got to know each other a little over a few beers.

Sat morning 4,45am "find it and kill it" someone yelled into the darkness,no not a rat or possum but my bloody alarm on my phone I had forgotten to disable,sorry guys.

Everyone seemed fairly keen to get out there doing it this morning except me,I had had a shit sleep but got my gear together and headed off with Mikee.

Name:  SAM_0429 - Copy.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  413.8 KB

We roughly retraced my steps from yesterday, It was even hotter today and I couldn't stop yawning so we had lots of smoko breaks but I don't think Mikee minded too much.
    We sat and had lunch on the edge of where I saw the deer yesterday in the only dry bit and I may or may not have had a wee nap in the shade for a bit
    Nothing was seen or smelt but on one of many smoko breaks I saw an interesting bird land near the top of a tree on the edge of some wind fall,it looked just like a Kea but wasn't green but colourd more like a falcon, later I learnt it was a Kaka the first I have seen.

Name:  SAM_0427 - Copy.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  577.0 KB

Name:  SAM_0417 - Copy.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  973.4 KB

Back at base first again we had a pre tea of stew on toast and had a couple of quiets as the others turned up in dribs and drabs, Tikka had got lead in the air but unfortunately had missed also. Stingray and Gadgetman were amped but tired getting real close but a fickle wind was their undoing and when Antsman and Munsey turned up they were shattered, Ants had secured a rotoroa trophy tho of two matched casts and Munsey had seen a few but to dark for a shot.
    Stingray Ants and Mikee fed us like kings with bacon buttiess,scollops,and orange roughy fillets.
    Around 10 a boat arrived and they all snuck off without saying gidday then were gone again in the middle of the night.
    Spotlights seen at Sabine again.
    Hunts and otherthings were recalled till fairly late and before I knew it the sun was rising, Stinger cooked us a mean breakfast and we talked,by about 9 I figured it didn't look like anyone was going for a hunt so I did the only decent thing to do and opened a beer.

Was a great trip thanks everyone for coming.Its the bush and the company that makes the trip.

I cant wait to get back up there.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1415692813025.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1415692853529.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1415692911541.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1415692952586.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  77.5 KB

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.