Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rotorua 22LR Field Shoot Nov 2014

Quote Originally Posted by RacingMad View Post
    Hi Guys. Im interested in having a go at shooting long range with my ruger 10/22. What scopes are recommended for shooting .22lr? Also How do i register?
    Cheers
    Scope wise if you want to shoot past 100m with a 22LR i would suggest you either get a scope that will dial the elevation reliably or as i explained above get one with a mildot or similar style reticle. Out to 100m then just about any scope will do - my father uses a old Pecar 4x on his brno just fine out to 100m, he just knows his hold overs (and hold unders for the closer targets).

Higher magnification scopes can have parallax and focus issues at short distances. Even 9x at 50m may not be focused if the scope parallax is set at 150m. Rimfire specific scopes either have the parallax set at a closer distance (say 50m) or have an adjustable parallax.

As i said above from a 50m zero a 22LR using subsonic ammunition will need something like 30MOA to be bang on at 200m. If you were just trying to hold over the target you will need to hold about 1.5m above your point of impact. On a 150mm square target i would not be confident in accurately judging that sort of hold over.

Equipment wise i would seriously suggest a range finder if you want to shoot past about 100m. At 200m with subsonics i need to click on another MOA of elevation every 3m... on a 3MOA target if i am 5m out on the distance i will miss completely.

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    We both enjoyed the shoot in Te Kuiti, so if this is more of the same it should be sweet.
    So much i could say here about Te Kuiti...

More of the same... not really, different shoot, different terrein, different objective. Te Kuiti was a shoot set for hunters and so target sizes, positions and timings reflected that. This is a 22LR shoot more set up for target shooters. The hunter class will be set up more for hunters whereas the open class will be set up for target shooters.

Think about the kill area on a rabbit being about 50mm - so hunter class will have mostly targets of this size and smaller out to 80m (some of the longer shots we will have larger targets but this takes away from the hunter class in my opinion). I get over-ruled in some of these discussion because a 50mm target at 80m in the wind with a 22LR shooting subsonics can be challenging.

Open class will mean tighter time limits, more targets, harder shoot positions and longer distances. A 200mm target at 200m sounds not too bad really - its about 4MOA. But if you missjudge the average wind speed by more than 1m/s shooting subsonics you will miss it. It is roughly equivalent to shooting at a 400mm target at 1000 yards.

Not trying to put anyone off coming along but comparitively Te Kuiti was an easy shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Equipment wise i would seriously suggest a range finder if you want to shoot past about 100m. At 200m with subsonics i need to click on another MOA of elevation every 3m... on a 3MOA target if i am 5m out on the distance i will miss completely.
    Probably should mention for this shoot we will be giving out the target distances

Thanks Gillie this will be a piece of piss
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Just managing expectations Maca, easier for me to say it will be hard and have people expect that, then to say it will be easy and have people go away disappointed cause they thought they should have done better
    Maca49 likes this.

Can you put me in for the open class? Do you want me to send you an email of confirmation?

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Can you put me in for the open class? Do you want me to send you an email of confirmation?
    Email is easier for me to deal with and you will get more information out of me through email. I can work just through the forum though as well.

I'm in for hunter class as well

Organisation for this shoot is coming along. Quite a few have registered interest and I expect more to as we advertise a bit more and we get closer to the date.

Targets are pretty well sorted now. Malcolm and I have been testing some targets and they are working very well. Even got our moving target going good.
    AzumitH likes this.

hi count me in for 2 (father & son) in hunter class please.

Done Kirabilli, looks like i'll be meeting a few forum members i haven't met before.

Name tag arranged? Tick
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Still a few spots open for this event, i'll pm those who have registered their interest towards the end of this month to confirm their intention to attend.

@mucko @hunter308 @Maca49 @sakokid @big_foot @AzumitH @Friwi @Whisper @kirabilli @Philipo @RacingMad @ChrisF

Guys, and anyone else interested in coming along to this 22LR field shoot in Rotorua. There are not many open spots left, more than 35 people have already registered their interest with about 20 confirmed they are coming along. Post here or PM me if you are still intending to come along and i'll send out the location details to you.

Hunter class should be well competed on the day. Open class only has about 6 confirmed competitors in it!

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yup Im still heading up so put me down for the compertition shoot, sorry Gillie been meaning to give ya a ring, will contact you in next few days
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!