Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree1133Likes

Thread: Toby Memorial - Where, what, why

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    @mikee
    I will leave it to the people closer to Toby`s family to fill in the details, as I wouldn't want to copy stuff to here without the authority to do so.
    There will be a big report on proceedings posted here for all, you can be sure of that
    Roger that and fair enough, unfortunately my keyboard was "in gear" before my brain !!
    EeeBees likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

All done guys
    Clean up done
    HUGE thanks to all who helped us over the weekend.
    Not naming names as I'll forget someone.
    All top buggers.
    See you all next year
    Cheers Dunc & Mel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 16-10-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Philipo, Pop Shot, puku and 28 others like this.

But without the all the hard work leading up the event going on in the background, it wouldn't have happened. Even though I wasn't there it sounded like it was a resounding success and well received.
    To all the members involved in the making of this event, you give yourselves a bloody big pat on the back
    veitnamcam, EeeBees, mikee and 5 others like this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Bloody great weekend alright, there will be some tired punters today lol ( aye VC, sorry forgot to say goodbye bro )

Huge "big ups" to Brad & Mel for hosting the event, you guys deserve a medal for all ya hard work & thanks to everyone else that helped out or sponsored bits'n'pieces

And cheers to those that attended, Was great to catch up with mates & meeting some new ones, there's some real good buggers on this forum, Chur
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    All done guys
    Clean up done
    HUGE thanks to all who helped us over the weekend.
    Not naming names as I'll forget someone.
    All top buggers.
    See you all next year
    Cheers Dunc & Mel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thank you @BRADS. You the man
    Philipo, Pop Shot, P38 and 4 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Were the press there, or even notified?
    It can only be good for us hunters/shooters to be seen in a good light for a change.
    gadgetman and EeeBees like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Were the press there, or even notified?
    It can only be good for us hunters/shooters to be seen in a good light for a change.
    That a very good point Pengy, does anyone on here know someone that works in the written media, surely we could put a couple of pics & short description together.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    That a very good point Pengy, does anyone on here know someone that works in the written media, surely we could put a couple of pics & short description together.
    The Onga Onga Daily Times?

Cracker of a weekend and most things covered on here.
    But Big thanks to @BRADS & Mel.
    Philipo and GWH like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Huge thanks Brads and Mel and everyone else who did so much work to make this such a great event.
    Iv had a blast and great to put some faces to names.

All good after a wee nap thanks Philipo

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Philipo, Shootm, gadgetman and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    A huge thank you to @BRADS & Mel, great weekend, lots of fun.

@P38 for RO duties

@Rushy for cooking us an awesome feed last night.

@Philipo for a highly entertaining auction in the woodshed.

Toby's urn had pride of place in the woodshed, was good to have a quiet chat and spend some time with him again...
    Philipo, Savage1, stingray and 4 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Caretaker

Toby Memorial - Where, what, why

I'm sure from all the smiles and laughter over the weekend all who participated will thank you heartily Brads

You and your wife provided an excellent venue and the care and effort you both put in created an event we will never forget.

Thank you

Fridays weather was stunning and made travel relatively effortless,

I heard a few stories involving a "travel tax" having to be paid by those with a heavy right foot !

Initial setup on arrival was event free and some innovative setups resulted in warm dry sleep as long as you weren't sleeping in the horse float aye Gibo

After setting up Rushys target

it was time to climb the hill to probably the most scenic shooting area you could ever hope to use

A convoy of vehicles started the run up the hill

A well thought out shooting area had everyone well hearded into one mob

It was well signposted and we were quickly sorted into yes you can stay or go away now

Once yarded up P38 read us the rules in his best Range Officer voice then threatened us with grevious bodily harm if we failed to comply

He had supplied a Cannon and Mortar and we used the former to officially kick off the event

A few hundred flicks on the lighter and we were away , heck knows where the projectile went

A very well behaved and safety conscious bunch started the assault on Brads gongs and the armour plated deer in the creek, swamp, Manuka thicket and open paddock. An air temp of 14 degrees, air pressure of 28.50 inhg and a 2.5 mph breeze from our right kept all entertained and the day progressed into much scorched grass, tortured steel and good natured banter blended in with very serious ballistics conversations .

The big 50 shook the Richter scale

As the morning wore on the gongs were taking a serious pounding

As more vehicles arrived those waiting to shoot continued to line their hardware up

A safety conscious bunch, -impressively so

At about this point Rushy snuck off to get the cooking underway

Someone had a bit of a treat in store and as long as Rushy diddnt find out that we had his spuds it was gonna be fun

Hey there's a projectile

Ram spud down with this....

After a decent lunch and a whole heap more shooting, the air temp changed to 11 degrees, air pressure to 28.95inhg and the breeze vary from 4.5 to 40 mph
    It was in these testing conditions that 15-30 mins was set aside for the shooting competition to determine the evenings prizegiving

The details of which I'm sure the talented shooters can relay their experience

As the afternoon wore into evening mildly hypothermic symptoms allowed all involved to retire to the woolshed as snow fell in the main ranges to the west

We were greeted with tables loaded with roasted farm kill and tasty slices and fruit for pudding silenced the masses as we ate

In the warmth and comfort our friend Rushy spoke from the heart and allowed us to understand the reason we were there, Brads shed must have been a bit dusty as I had something in my eye a few times

Rushy in full song with Vietnamcam behind him with dust in both eyes

Rushy then introduced Tobys Mother who gave a beautiful word .

After dinner it was time to auction the beautiful .270 rifle that had been built and assembled by members of this forum

Phillippo proving to be the best tool for the job made an eloquent job of proceedings despite reservations about the calibre

All the authority in our world was contained in that small brown bottle, and this man knew how to use it

Long story short the .270 raised $13,250 for Tobys charity of choice and the evening settled into a steady hum of good bastards yarning about good barstards and the events of the day.

As darkness descended we needed a bigger area as we were now using much bigger words with gestures to match

When the group got too large for this drum we needed to flick a match into that bunch of sticks Brad had stacked up

Sunday dawned warm and clear and the shooting continued, the deer in the creek lost more plywood and the guys in the 600yrd club jumped into the 1000yrd club, wifey shot well at 540yrds

Even the 2350yrd gong felt some hurt from Kiwi Greg but that's his story to tell

Thank you to all who made the event fun, safe and memorable, I have intentionally left out much, as those precious things are all your stories to tell......
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 16-10-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Bloody fantastic report Andrew. Many thanks for taking the time and trouble.
    puku likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Wot an excellent well assembled report, and so soon after the event. I was disappointed to reach the end of it and wanted more but as 7mmsaum said "those precious things are all your stories to tell......"
    Thanks heaps from someone who had a wee association with Toby but was never going to be able to attend.

Nice report, i would like to have attended, but am back to work in the Artic,
    Big cheer for all who have attended, and those who got this event up and running,

Looks like a great weekend had by all, can't wait for next year when I'm GOING to be there