Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Sav
  • 2 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By Boar Freak

Thread: 1 person tent

1 person tent

Was thinking to get one of these for bush hunting in Kawekas probably until mid May. Anyone owns one? Opinions on it?

Ultrapack hiking tent - 640grams, compact 25x10cm | Trade Me

Thanks BF
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Bush hunting... Have you thought about just using a fly shelter? You will have a ton more space...
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Bush hunting... Have you thought about just using a fly shelter? You will have a ton more space...
    I was borrowing a mates fly until now 2 m x 2.9 m and only 200 g lighter than that tent. Same size when rolled up so I thought for an extra 200 g can stay out of the wind and keep the blowies out too.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

I have thought about these as well. They are a copy of a big sky tent that doesnt rate particularely well, but for $90 you could just take a punt

Sav
    I found this thread after Googling the tent when I was looking at getting one. I decided to take a punt and order it, it arrived a few hours ago so thought I would post my findings to possibly help other 'Googlers'.

The tent is really small, I'm 5'11'' and my feet and head almost touch the ends, with a sleeping pad my back will be touching the side of the tent which makes me wonder if my sleeping bag will get wet. I'm a little worried about condensation as any internal condensation will just drip into the tent - though there are ventilation holes at both ends which may help.

The vestibule area is really smaller than it looks in the pictures, only just large enough for a pack and boots - and the pack will be touching the outer.

It's a little tricky to put up, I'm not sure how well it will hold up in a heavy wind - especially considering the flimsy pegs that come with it.

But... you have to remember this is a $90 tent which weighs around 650grams, probably the same cost and similar weight as a decent tarp however I would much rather sleep in this than under a tarp. It packs down quite well and just manages to stuff back into the provided sack.

I haven't tried it out in the whops which will be the real test but for the price, and the weight I'm quite happy with it. If it works ok out in the field then I'd rate it pretty well considering the price.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input @Sav.
    deer243 and DanS like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yes welcome to the forum @Sav and kudos to you for putting an informative post up as your first!

From looking at the pics from trademe i would be picking a very sheltered spot to pitch the tent if there is wind forecast

For what you want @Boar Freak I would suggest its not bad buying.
    Do they do a two man? It may give you enough room to get a decent sleep without worrying about touching the sides
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by Sav View Post
    I found this thread after Googling the tent when I was looking at getting one. I decided to take a punt and order it, it arrived a few hours ago so thought I would post my findings to possibly help other 'Googlers'.

The tent is really small, I'm 5'11'' and my feet and head almost touch the ends, with a sleeping pad my back will be touching the side of the tent which makes me wonder if my sleeping bag will get wet. I'm a little worried about condensation as any internal condensation will just drip into the tent - though there are ventilation holes at both ends which may help.

The vestibule area is really smaller than it looks in the pictures, only just large enough for a pack and boots - and the pack will be touching the outer.

It's a little tricky to put up, I'm not sure how well it will hold up in a heavy wind - especially considering the flimsy pegs that come with it.

But... you have to remember this is a $90 tent which weighs around 650grams, probably the same cost and similar weight as a decent tarp however I would much rather sleep in this than under a tarp. It packs down quite well and just manages to stuff back into the provided sack.

I haven't tried it out in the whops which will be the real test but for the price, and the weight I'm quite happy with it. If it works ok out in the field then I'd rate it pretty well considering the price.
    Hey Sav,

what do you think of the material and the stitching? Is it going to last at least a couple of seasons? Whats the floor like?
    Am 4" shorter than you so I might wipe some of the condensation once am in the maggot.

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Yes welcome to the forum @Sav and kudos to you for putting an informative post up as your first!

From looking at the pics from trademe i would be picking a very sheltered spot to pitch the tent if there is wind forecast

For what you want @Boar Freak I would suggest its not bad buying.
    Do they do a two man? It may give you enough room to get a decent sleep without worrying about touching the sides
    I don't think they do 2 person tents. Yeah am a bit worried about strong winds too.
    puku likes this.

Sav
    The material and stitching seem pretty good though I haven't tested it in the rain or under stress. I'll leave it up overnight and see how it holds up with the dew. I can't really comment on the quality until I use it a few times but I think it should easily last a few seasons if you look after it. You'll likely want to replace the pegs as they're pretty weak looking. I'd agree with Puku that it will likely need a sheltered place to put it up, though sometimes these little tents can surprise how well the last. I've certainly already found that mucking around with it so that it's put up correctly makes a big difference with the strength.

As Nick-D said, it looks to be a copy of the Big Sky Wisp tent which has reviews saying that condensation is a problem. If you don't use an inflatable sleeping pad you won't be as close to the sides, though you'll definitely touch the sides anyway as soon as you roll over.

I put my $90 China-made Axeman Ultralight tent next to it which has a full mesh inner and a fly outer, the Axeman has quite a bit more room inside but is a little more tricky to get into, as you get in the front rather than the side, it weighs a little more at 880grams but is probably what I would take as a main tramping tent.

But at 650 odd grams, I think the In-Tents one is worth while chucking into the pack just in case you get stuck. I would take it any day over a tarp, but I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Kuiu make a copy of this too, the Ultra Star 1P. US $250. I also had read the review above (which i beleive was aboit the Kuiu version ) and figured it wasnt a tent for me

However, at NZ $90, its worth the risk. Get into it.

The design of that Ultrapack tent looks like it wouldnt stand up to much wind, its been my experience that the number one enemy when camping above the bushline is wind, it can rain and snow and hail as much as it likes but wind is what sorts the good tents from the excellent ones.
    Probably an ok tent if you pick your weather but I personally would be looking at Terra Nova (im running a solar competition, <1kg) Hilleberg, Macpac or the Freedom range (mono, atmos) as they all offer lightweight 1 person tents that will stand up to reasonable wind.

Edit: Just read original post properly, maybe an option if only ever setting up i side the bush

I have generally found sizes to be optimistic at best. I use a relatively compact two ma tent, but I would not like to share with anyone, especially a second man sized person. Just enough room for me with a bit of comfort. I looked at a six man one and thought it may actually be good for about two people of normal stature. Unless you dont mind a communal heat source....