Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 100% Merino thermals

Yeah i purchased some RedRam (ice breaker) long johns and wore/wear them under shorts. First, second and third trip all left holes in the knees...gutted and no i dont hunt on my knees!! Warm though

I really do not get this wearing long johns under shorts, of course they will be rooted after the first trip.
    If its cold wear pants not bloody shorts and if its really cold wear your long johns under pants!

I chuckle to myself everytime i see striped polyprop long johns peeking out from between massive gaters and a pair of shorts.
    You look like pippy long stockings and have all but covered up your legs anyway so why not just wear some pants!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Pengy and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    What if they are black thermals hence looking like a half ninja??

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    is that a polite grimace
    Gibo likes this.

I never used to but I wear thermals now to keep my shit leg warm. I've found the warmth helps with pain an keeps my leg bending longer letting me walk further
    mikee likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bastard View Post
    Just got myself a long sleeve top and long pants from the Warehouse on special for $17.50 each .Label says 100 % merino wool
    Made by H&H the merino is ok but they do a polyviscose which is heaps warmer then marino and straight polypropylene and half the price polyviscose would be my pick of the three for a base layer.

Guess i am a half ninja!! Yeah i hear ya VC however shorts and tights i mean thermals are better IMOA in the wet bush otherwise pants all the way

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    Made by H&H the merino is ok but they do a polyviscose which is heaps warmer then marino and straight polypropylene and half the price polyviscose would be my pick of the three for a base layer.
    Negative sonny, polyprop is the devils fabric! Once you stink it with sweat its stinky for life, so in your case it would be smellable from 2 miles off it also doesnt help regulate body temp so if it warms up your just get it stinking more. so you have now been telled about how bad it smelled
    veitnamcam, Pengy and Nibblet like this.

On the subject of base layers. I have heard accounts of at least a couple of hunters getting into trouble by wearing the compression type sports leggings and tops. It seems that this fabric is actually designed to dump the heat from your body during excertion, so may not be the best thing to wear if trying to keep warm.
    Hypothermia aint fun
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

For a nice wee touch of irony, the man who started this thread has since gone down with a nasty head cold
    Gibo likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    My macpac leggings didnt stand a chance in the blackberry @Pointer took us into or was it me up front?
    Nothing the mrs and the sewing machine cant fix though ha ha
    Funny thing is, my merino ones last longer in the berry than thermal my jobbies did? This sounds queer but tighter fitting leggings last longer too, ones that are loose catch on shit

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I really do not get this wearing long johns under shorts, of course they will be rooted after the first trip.
    If its cold wear pants not bloody shorts and if its really cold wear your long johns under pants!

I chuckle to myself everytime i see striped polyprop long johns peeking out from between massive gaters and a pair of shorts.
    You look like pippy long stockings and have all but covered up your legs anyway so why not just wear some pants!

So thats what you were smirking about last time i went hunting with ya.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Funny thing is, my merino ones last longer in the berry than thermal my jobbies did? This sounds queer but tighter fitting leggings last longer too, ones that are loose catch on shit
    Yeah i think mine are the lightest ones.

I don't think its the thickness, its the looseness if that makes sense? Ive destroyed tons, I consider them expendable. Where and when I can, I buy bulk merino gear. Believe it or not, the Kathmandu merino stuff is pretty good when brought on special. About the only thing I'd buy from that store!