Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By Hunteast

Thread: 4WD side awnings

4WD side awnings

Heaps of different brands out there - been using the Adventure Kings 2x3 for a few years, finally bent the 2 horizontal poles in a gust of wind - can't purchase replacement poles in NZ but can do in Aussie but won't supply to the NZ agent - weird?
    Anyway been looking at ARB, Ironman, Dobinson, a few unnamed brands etc all pretty much a copy of each other with either cast ali or plastic knuckes. Not sure you get what you pay for as been online and the horizontal poles bending appears the an issue if not careful with the wind conditions?
    So what do others recommend or use out there?

Cut a couple of manuka poles and put them on your roof rack you'll never break them

Can't tell you much as I'm in the market to buy but after a long time of reading reviews kings seem the best to me and free rural shipping ticks my box

Any chance of making new replacement poles yourself? There are plenty of pole hardware fittings and parts available through caravan stores, trade me etc?

SiB
    Following w interest

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Cut a couple of manuka poles and put them on your roof rack you'll never break them
    Yeh that would work
    @Hunteast I have 50 acres of kanuka on the farm if you decide to go that way
    dannyb likes this.

Trust Danny to suggest manuka poles. At 3 metres long for the awning, not carrying them in my 4wd anytime soon! Any way the anodised ali tubing that is still good is 25mm dia 1mm thick walls. It is the telescopic tubes x 2 that bent that fit inside the main tube. Guess they are about 1.7 m long? Checked out Mitre 10 etc - nothing less than 25mm dia and the tubing is not smooth, i.e not anodised - this is what makes it slide inside the main tube. Then you need to fit a spike (seen in Caravan & Camping Chch) in the end to secure into the ali housing when the awning is pulled out full length. Saying that i am considering buying new again - awnings are about NZ$200.00 for another Kings or unbranded one? So not breaking the bank, just a hassle!

I have the Kings tent attachment which has been great especially on fishing trips and appears to be a universal fit on other brands so long as 2mx3m.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    Trust Danny to suggest manuka poles. At 3 metres long for the awning, not carrying them in my 4wd anytime soon! Any way the anodised ali tubing that is still good is 25mm dia 1mm thick walls. It is the telescopic tubes x 2 that bent that fit inside the main tube. Guess they are about 1.7 m long? Checked out Mitre 10 etc - nothing less than 25mm dia and the tubing is not smooth, i.e not anodised - this is what makes it slide inside the main tube. Then you need to fit a spike (seen in Caravan & Camping Chch) in the end to secure into the ali housing when the awning is pulled out full length. Saying that i am considering buying new again - awnings are about NZ$200.00 for another Kings or unbranded one? So not breaking the bank, just a hassle!

I have the Kings tent attachment which has been great especially on fishing trips and appears to be a universal fit on other brands so long as 2mx3m.
    At least you'll have spares

Hey, shouldn't you be working!
    Spoke to a few awning agents/sellers in NZ. Something to be aware of - to date the ones i have emailed don't supply back up parts for awnings in NZ, which are the poles. They supply complete items only. Exception is RMR 4WD Warehouse in Taupo but he said he would break down one of his complete awnings. Just that his awnings are 2x2.5m The suppliers just won't supply the parts to NZ - cheeky bastards.

Hey, shouldn't you be working!
    I'm on leave for another week yet wee man

Try Ulrich aluminium for ali poles
    dannyb likes this.

Checked out tent poles both online and in shops - generally too heavy and mostly galvanised. I need a pole of 22-22.5mm dia. It needs to fit inside the main pole of 25mm dia.

Will check out Urlich ali tomorrow arvo. Taking in my 25mm pole as sample for fitment. Will let you know how i get on. Cheers for that idea.

And Danny, make yourself useful during your week off work - i have the week off from next Monday but the rivers look stuffed?
    dannyb likes this.

Checked out tent poles both online and in shops - generally too heavy and mostly galvanised. I need a pole of 22-22.5mm dia. It needs to fit inside the main pole of 25mm dia.

Will check out Urlich ali tomorrow arvo. Taking in my 25mm pole as sample for fitment. Will let you know how i get on. Cheers for that idea.

And Danny, make yourself useful during your week off work - i have the week off from next Monday but the rivers look stuffed?
    You know where I am if ya wanna go have a look somewhere