Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advice on a good all purpose knife

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by DXROLLA View Post
    haha maybe a smaller blade than. As posted above the Kershaw looks like a good knife and after reading a few reviews thats the style to go for by the sounds of things, also looking at this one GERBER GATOR DROP-POINT KNIFE | Trade Me
    That is the go DXROLLA and they are as light as a light thing on its lightest day.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Svord drop point but you need to get the angler right then it is wickedly sharp. Good blade not like some of the rubbish stainless you get.

All of the suggestions except for the svord are made from poor quality steel that you will be always sharpening.

Buck, Gerber, and Kershaw are adequate for the purpose, but made from low grade steel. You could do a lot better with your $150 if you want something nice.

The knives advertised on here that are made in Palmy are good. The L6 steel they are made from is excellent and will last a life time. He makes a couple of very handy shapes.

I must be blind, could you point me to who makes and sells the knifes on here? Would love to get a nz hand made knife

Zedteq

Keep clicking what's new and look at the adds on top.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1362449835711.jpg
Views: 3893
Size:  52.3 KB

Theses mine. Holds and edge well and the non skip is great

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    This eats buying in NZ for value.

Boker Arbolito El Trampero Fixed 4" N695 Steel Blade, Guayacan Wood Handles - KnifeCenter

You will land one for under your $150NZ. N695 steel is exactly the same as 440C steel. A real step up from Aus8 that the Kershaws and the stuff Bucks are are made from.

I've got the same Boker and for value and performance I haven't seen anything that will touch it. Mines got a different handle to the wood one.

I just bought a boker, yet to use it but I am confident it will be the ducks bollocks

I have a Buck Alpha with gut hook didn't find it that good when it came to the boning and cutting out the ass hole the vandgard or the Buck Zipper would be better.
    The Sheath is to me very important I have lost good knives over the years bush bashing.The buck Zipper my mate lost because it unclipped.
    I have sheaths that sink the knife deep so it wont fall out or get hooked up and pulled out as you work your way though crap. I also use a Simple double lock - rubber cord or tyre tube that sort of thing not hear to tell you how to dress.
    But lose a good knife it's not good, Now that's gutting
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 06-03-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

About 18months ago I went through a bit phase of trying out a whole bunch of knives ($10- $165) to find one that suited the way I use them.
    I ended up with my old mercator remaining as back up and swapped to a short victorinix boning knife as the main working one.

People use and handle knives differently, good steel is nice but the way some people handle knives means the quality of the steel is wasted on them because they still need to sharpen it after the first animal.

If there is a decent knife shop near you go in there and you will atleast get a feeling of what fits right in your hand.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I use a svord farmers knife I paid $70 for it, easy to sharpen, holds a razor edge, excellent carbon steel, has a decent sheath and is Kiwi made oh and a rewa rewa handle.

Heres the link to buy Bahco.
    These are cheap but man you can make them so sharp

Dont hurt too much when you loose one either .. $10.50 plus freight buy two at a time = $30.00 delivered wicked as ..

Bahco 2444 Fixed Blade Knife - Knives & Chisels - Hand ToolsName:  bahco.jpg
Views: 3879
Size:  9.8 KB

Probably 12C27 steel like Mora too which is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I carry a mercator while hunting. Its light and does everything required of a knife and they are cheap, no big deal if you lose one. Stuck plenty of pigs with one. The handle is slim enough that you can push the whole thing into the cut to reach the heart. Adequate for breaking down a deer in the bush. If I fly in I will take a victrinox boner for back at camp but if walking in the mercator and a small(3 inch) stone are all I take.
    Makes me laugh when guys go on about their flash knife, when they show it to you it weighs about a pound. To big and clumsy to cut the ring gear out of a deer or head skin a stag.
    Until your hands are arthritic and like claws. Then you need something about 4" for leverage, and some depth to the blade so that you don't have to grip it tightly to keep it stable when doing the back steaks. A drop point style will do these things and take the arse out etc. Better to get a decent knife now. Plus owning a decent knife is like owning a decent rifle. Its fun, and adds a different dimension to hunting.

The good modern steels like 3V will bone out several deer without being touched.

Today I saw an old shearer using a Victorinox veggie knife to skin ,bone out a large boar and big Gizzie stag.Unbelievable skill.

Ejected
    They are a good wee knife, cheap and everywhere There is normally two or three on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I have a Mora which is basically the same blade with a nicer handle but cost a bit more.
    I've had a Frost's carbon steel drop-point bush knife for around ten years now and love it. Frost's are now part of the 'Mora' company I believe, which is named after the town the company originates from; Mora in Sweden.

Mine cost me around $30-40 originally and considering how long it's lasted and how well it performs I'd say that's outstanding value.

I've now added a small Buffalo Creek folding knife to my collection, that goes in my survival kit on my belt pouch, the bush knife goes in the pack.