Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Advice on towable log splitter

Advice on towable log splitter

This is not really urgent as I have over 30 cub m of dry firewood sitting in various sheds but I've decided to buy a decent log splitter. I have had access in the past to two reasonable splitters but both options are now gone My hunting mate recently gave me a decent size gum on his old family farm that needs cutting up after being blown down. My older son's new house is getting close to ready and it'll have two fires so I don't want to turn down such good firewood, although I do have heaps of over-mature macro trees on our life sentence block.

Anyway, I've decided I need (?want) the following features:
    - public road towability
    - at least a 10hp motor
    - at least 15 ton of ram power
    - a pump of at least 15 gals/min capacity
    - a cycle time of less than 10secs, pref less
    - a vertical format or possibly both vert/horiz

I can't be bothered thinking about having one constructed so it comes down to available commercial models.
    What are people's experiences here?

If you think you might end up dealing with reasonable diameter (heavy) rings I'd suggest getting one with a ring lifter.

I've used both vertical and horizontal and find the horizontal to work really well, especially with the ring lifter as you roll the heavy ring onto the lifter, then its lifted in the position it need to be in to be split - rather than needing to be rolled over if being split vertically (hope that makes sense).
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

the very best Ive used..had these features
    leg with step on bottom than came up level with table top,so you dont do the lifting,
    foot pedal to make ram drop down,it comes up on its own as soon as pedal is left alone
    big oil reservoir
    Jukes likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

reading ring lifter comment above..we rolled rings onto step..they lifted up making the ring now flat..so orientated correctly to be split..advantage of foot pedal is both hands on the block...
    XR500 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The Daytech models are good, they have a ringlifter and are towable
    The only thing I can think of to watch out for is checking the height of your garage entrance to see they will fit (if you are putting it in a garage)

https://daytech.co.nz/products/wood-splitters/
    also this one looks the same
    https://www.timbersaws.co.nz/category/1055-timbersaws

Yeh, forgot to add a ringlifter to the needs list, had thought of that.

I used both horiz and vert machines and somewhat prefer the vertical. No biggie.

I've already talked to Daytech, Forestquip and Brent Smith, the latter being the most expensive.

The Forestquip one is an Aussie made Superaxe 3150 and has the advantage of a low mast:
    https://www.forestquip.co.nz/product...eraxe-ws3150-9
    Can also be had with the bigger 13hp Honda

Comments on whether the bigger motor is worthwhile?

I'd go with the bigger motor myself - no other reason than it should be working to less than the same amount of the smaller unit to achieve the same results???

You mention you have access to a big gum tree. That immediately puts you in the "I need more power' category. If you let it dry out instead of drop/ring/split in quick succession, it'll gobble up power as it can be a bastard to split if each ring is dry.

I have a double ender horozontal splitter run on the 3 point linkage of my 110hp tractor. It does a cube in 15-20 minutes. But it does not have a ring lifter, which I will now admit is a mistake.
    Micky Duck and Jukes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    You mention you have access to a big gum tree. That immediately puts you in the "I need more power' category. If you let it dry out instead of drop/ring/split in quick succession, it'll gobble up power as it can be a bastard to split if each ring is dry.

I have a double ender horozontal splitter run on the 3 point linkage of my 110hp tractor. It does a cube in 15-20 minutes. But it does not have a ring lifter, which I will now admit is a mistake.
    "Double ender"... You're just boasting now.

Some of that gum is an utter mongrel, wet or dry. A screw splitter is one answer, half each round with the screw and it seems that it's much easier after that (lets the tension holding it in one piece off I guess). Screw splitters take a lot less power than a wedge type, but a lot messier and ragged.

Yeh, that gum is half dried out and it looks to have twisty grain so could well be a total bastard. I'm going to have to saw the bottom rings into quarters to make them handle-able. The first couple of metres are maybe a metre diam, possibly more. I may well have to nibble the edges/ring layers away rather than down the guts.

More hp
    Larger ram capacity
    2 speed pump
    Vertical
    Ring lifter
    6x47 and Got-ya like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I hire a Brent Smith log splitter with a ring lifter the last couple times, would'nt use one with out the log lifter now.
    good machine, its set up for health and safety got to have both hands on level to get up down to work, easy to change if it was your own machine
    Log Splitters - Brent Smith Trailers
    6x47 likes this.

Same control system by the sound of it as the Superaxe. Easily bridged to make it one handed

Theres a fella in Mayfeild that makes a pretty decent splitter. Fully towable, lifter, heavy duty on everything. Steel and Wood - find him on Fakebook
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've hired a Split-Fire wood spliter which impressed me as it would cut wood on both strokes.

Being in the Hydraulics trade I would suggest its going to be cheaper to buy a production model, unless you can do it yourself.
    You can buy kits with a Cylinder, Pump, Valve, etc then possibly add a tank, petrol engine, bell housing and drive couplers.
    Once it assembled you still need to get the hoses done.
    Z
    308 likes this.