Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: All about gas stoves.

So this wont work at below -1?

Name:  bt.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  20.7 KB
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

K95
    If it's pure n-Butane no it theoretically won't at sea level. Very strange method for making your morning coffee anytime actually.
    ebf and Moa Hunter like this.

pretty darn easy to heat it a little bit by wrapping hands around it all the same.
    K95 likes this.

K95
    One key thing I didn't really explain was jets. Stoves have jets. They're tiny little orifaces (like 0.2mm) and that is what limits the output of the stove. They do that because if they weren't there when you had high canister pressure (like on a hot day) you'd get a huge unsafe flame like a flamethrower out the end of your stove. Have a look on your stove sometime you'll be able to see the jet.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    If it's pure n-Butane no it theoretically won't at sea level. Very strange method for making your morning coffee anytime actually.
    So if you are in Central Otago in the winter and have frozen pipes, and you get out your butane torch (which has been out in the outside garage overnight) to warm the pipes up, it wont work and will be dead in the water. Because the gas isnt boiling?
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    So if you are in Central Otago in the winter and have frozen pipes, and you get out your butane torch (which has been out in the outside garage overnight) to warm the pipes up, it wont work and will be dead in the water. Because the gas isnt boiling?
    If it a pure butane (n-butane) canister in theory it will not work. If the temperature of that gas is below it's boiling point (-1C for pure butane) you could tip it out into a cup and it would sit there like water does above 0C.

Remember, you need the gas temperature to be at least 10C higher than the boiling point (roughly for an upright canister) to create a decent amount of pressure to make the burner work.

You would want to take that butane torch inside for a while and even then it's going to fade as you use it.

MAPP gas would work - I just looked it up. It has a boiling point of -36C so it'd be good for -26C or so.
    Last edited by K95; 12-04-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    Moa Hunter and Mr Browning like this.

Thanks K95 for your knowledge/input on the other post [refill your disposable canisters] I just bumped into it a few days ago then I read this and I have since seen that you have put people straight on the refilling idea with the aliexpress half arse gadgetry just didn't stack up as being legit to me.

Thanks - I've got a MSR windburner that I like but it has severe limitations in cold conditions and the proprietary pots are a nark, so after a little research I've ordered a Kovea "Spider", an inverted type, under 200 gms
    Moa Hunter likes this.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Thanks - I've got a MSR windburner that I like but it has severe limitations in cold conditions and the proprietary pots are a nark, so after a little research I've ordered a Kovea "Spider", an inverted type, under 200 gms
    Yeah it would be cool if they made a stove like the remote canister version of the windburner but it could be used liquid feed mode. The windburner / reactor style burners are amazing in the wind. That'd remove the need for a windshield you need with the other inverted canister stoves.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzo View Post
    Thanks K95 for your knowledge/input on the other post [refill your disposable canisters] I just bumped into it a few days ago then I read this and I have since seen that you have put people straight on the refilling idea with the aliexpress half arse gadgetry just didn't stack up as being legit to me.
    No worries man. Notice the other thing with stoves is all the hoses used are covered with stainless braid - those aliexpress adapters are using clear PVC tube haha. Dodgy is just the start of it. The people making those don't give a crap about the end user.

Yeah it would be cool if they made a stove like the remote canister version of the windburner but it could be used liquid feed mode. The windburner / reactor style burners are amazing in the wind. That'd remove the need for a windshield you need with the other inverted canister stoves.
    Yup - will need a shield, will have to find some foil flashing stuff . . . or the like if anybody has better ideas for a source? The other thing about Windburners that pisses me off is no simmer, so properly cooked backsteaks are a very moving target!

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Hexamethylenetramine, now that's a mouthful to say.
    Hexy tablets Anyone who has ever been in the military know all about those little stinking tabs.
    berg243 likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

K95
    I think a lot of the problem with simmering with the windburner/reactor style is you can't see the flame with the pot on them. Your spider stove should be all good simmering if you use it in the upright position. They can surge or 'chug' a bit inverted.

No worries man. Notice the other thing with stoves is all the hoses used are covered with stainless braid - those aliexpress adapters are using clear PVC tube haha. Dodgy is just the start of it. The people making those don't give a crap about the end user.
    my old one that I bought some 30ish years ago has a flexi rubber hose and has never even looked like giving me trouble....your home BBQ or gas heater hose isnt mesh covered,but yes are more heavy duty than wee hose on that adaptor...looks like food grade to me.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    my old one that I bought some 30ish years ago has a flexi rubber hose and has never even looked like giving me trouble....your home BBQ or gas heater hose isnt mesh covered,but yes are more heavy duty than wee hose on that adaptor...looks like food grade to me.
    It's probably got mesh in the middle of the hose. Maybe not stainless but something to give the hose a better pressure rating.