Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree431Likes

Thread: All things Maxtoch..

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Have the M1 Archer. For its size a bloody good torch. Just not sure if I can justify/have the need for the bigger one/s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the opposite problem, I have just dropped the hammer on a pair of 2x and struggle to justify the need for the archer......but seriously I want all the shiny things.......my precious (said in smeagle voice)
    rugerman likes this.

walked up a gorse covered track on Sunday morning.....everywhere I could possible shoot as far as was lit up like daylight with the wee Archer...for walking itself I had it on lowest setting and had it on wrist strap cupped in hand and shining out through my fingers,twas almost too bright for walking light LOL. very impressed indeed.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I got the M2 Archer for walking (might make a red filter for it) and the M1 for using on the rifle. Also, got the green light M1. Throws a nice bright green spot a long way. Will try it on the rabbits and deer and see if it spooks them less than the standard M1 white.

I find the M1 is great for walking around with it on low and you have the ability to go up to full blinding bastard to check out something at range. If I'm definitely going out to shoot something I still take the de domed 2X since it takes no prisoners

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I had the opposite problem, I have just dropped the hammer on a pair of 2x and struggle to justify the need for the archer......but seriously I want all the shiny things.......my precious (said in smeagle voice)
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    My issue is the need/want/$ matrix ....

By the sounds the bigger ones are pretty good. I just don’t have a need for it...yet.

The Archer though is a bloody good little unit.

dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    My issue is the need/want/$ matrix ....

By the sounds the bigger ones are pretty good. I just don’t have a need for it...yet.

The Archer though is a bloody good little unit.

Haha we all struggle with the matrix, the 2x is like carrying around the sun good tight beam with a focused hot spot, but still plenty of spill in the peripheral.
    rugerman likes this.

What would you all recommend for say 2-300m on deer down to coons? Its time I got back into the poaching game (jokes)

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What would you all recommend for say 2-300m on deer down to coons? Its time I got back into the poaching game (jokes)
    Yeah I’m also interested in what would be most suitable for shooting deer from the Gentle Annie

Gibo/MSL - for that range get a 2X.

M1 Archer might stretch 200+ with bigger animals, but not best as a terrain scanner. 2X alot more light on target and designed as an all purpose spottie. BIG difference. If you want even more of a long range light then XPro. I use 2X for everything, but I will add M1 Archer as scope light.

With torches - lumens measurement means the total amount of light out front. Lux or candela measures the intensity of the torch's beamspot from which you can calculate distance. Comparison:

M1 Archer 140,000 lux
    2X 365,000 lux
    XPro 440,000 lux

M1 Archer good - amazing for a wee light. Depends what you're used to - if you've been using eg Led Lensers or many halogen spotlights, the Archer will be stunning. But not comparable down range with its bigger brothers.
    McNotty, Gibo and dannyb like this.

Thank you.

HO1R just turned up,choice light.
    McNotty and dannyb like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Well guys - several months since I posted this thread about selling the product in NZ. Today an important message...

As of this week I will no longer sell the Maxtoch gear. The buyer situation will revert to what it was few months ago e.g. buying direct from China on aliexpress, or locally if something suitable appears on trademe. The product as all users/owners will know is amazing, the individual buying experience from aliepress is good, but Brian (gadgetman) and I have found the ethical behaviour of this company in a business relationship to be very poor. We'll not bother with it. Sales have been great, and its been a real pleasure dealing with guys on the site - but we will go no further with this Chinese company. No further comment there.

Key points for you:

* The gear is amazing - continue to use and enjoy it. We certainly will.
    * Brian will continue to service Maxtochs bought in the past - including everything sold through me - so long as parts are still available.
    * He will however not be servicing any new Maxtoch sales in NZ or from other sellers from this time. Maxtoch will likely try to set up their own service agent, and if you buy more lights you must enquire first, from aliexpress or whosoever sells lights to you, if they carry a proper minimum 3 year service warranty. You need to know this, and who will back them. Brian has been servicing even original Maxtochs 8 years old - but from now you must know the service backing with any Maxtoch you buy. Hopefully they'll sort out a service arrangement quickly.
    * Can't advise anything on new LR lamps etc - we haven't had effective answers.
    * Brian and I will continue to be available for any/all questions about product and what suits your shooting situation etc...as before.

We'll be seriously enjoying the Maxtoch gear once the Cantab hills dry out and we can get back out there. Enjoy yours - there is nothing better!! And yet...

A quiet word ... Maxtoch are the world's best hunters at the moment ... but ... in the last week we've already started designing a new generation of hunter lights - well beyond even the latest Maxtochs. Want to push those boundaries to whole new places. Won't be quick - will take a while. The whiteboard is covered in drawings, the physics is being assessed, and Brian has to get his lathe out to make ali prototypes.. Would be nice to do it all in NZ - ali heads/tubing work etc - we'll see. Important point here is NO your new Maxtochs will not become obsolete - their performance is good for 10 years - even a lifetime if parts available. But once again... the new cometh..

Been an absolute pleasure dealing with all the guys - for both of us. Keep in touch - and remember - may not be selling now but any questions we're always happy to help - as before.

Cheers Mike
    The Claw, madjon_, cambo and 6 others like this.

Hey Mike was great to meet you and pick up my gear the other night, although I won't be needing any new lights for a while I look forward to seeing what you and Brian come up with in the future.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    @mudgripz I have been procrastinating about buying a M1, if you still have any available I'm keen to buy, and a couple of 30mm and a 34mm scope mount for the M1? Cheers

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

At this point I have only a couple of full 2X setups left - i.e. 2X, pairs of 3500mAh batts, plus charger set.

For your M1 Claw its Aliexpress - IF - it is the time set model M1 Brian and I finessed for NZ. And b4 you buy there or anywhere you need to be sure about NZ warranty backup - 3 years minimum. These aren't $30 lights.. Maxtoch also sell the mount sets on aliexpress.
    dannyb likes this.