Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Asolos or Zamberlan

I was issued the Zamberlan Baffins GTX( I think that was the model) for Afghanistan, I think I wore them twice. As others have mentioned, the toe box was too small. I saw probably 10 near new pairs get chucked in the bin in Kuwait, blokes couldn't be bothered to clean them or had no room in their bags. I grabbed one extra pair for a mate. Great construction though.

I have a pair of Asolo, not sure of the model. Really nice. The sole is very stiff though.

I've tried two different Meindl boots, Island Pro and their Desert Combat boot. The soles fell off both of the Island Pros after 3 or 4 5-10km hikes. The Desert Combat boots were very comfortable, but the tread was chewed up by the Afghan mountains pretty quick, and the cordura material started to seperate from the leather after a couple months. Customer service from the company was non existent.

I'm a big Lowa fan these days. Danner makes awesome boots, but are way to heavy.

Will probably try Salewa for my next boot or the Salomon Quest.

Got a pair of these that I have done a few walks in. Not tops but slippery bush and am finding them sturdy, comfy and good grip

Cabela's 600-Gram Dry-Plus™ Mid-Season Hunting Boots : Cabela's

I have had the Zamberlains for about 4 years now. Most comfortable boots I have owned (I own a lot of boots).
    My only negative comments would be the rounded toe sole .They don't dig in when climbing steep slopes (especially snow and soft soil). Also both heels have needed re gluing. Despite that, I would buy another pair in a second if my first ever wear out.
    PS. These boots do not have a particularly stiff sole. If you do get another pair I would look at something a bit sturdier to compliment the Zamberlains.

I have had a pair of Zamberlans for ages - just had them resoled and they should be good for a fair few years more. They are an older model of these Zamberlan Tofane GTX Hiking Boot Mens - Mountain Designs New Zealand - super comfy and plenty of room in the toe box. This model is plenty stiff enough in the sole

Ordered new Scarpe's today from the US, should be delivered in 6 days. The Lowa are quite heavy, but a very good boot once you've walked up a river with them on.

I do have a pair ot the Asolo boots. Nice light weight boot that I always go back to when I blow out another brand.