Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Back packs?

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I have ordered a Kifaru frame and bag from the States. Been selling off several packs and hope to replace them all with one really good one... And it better be good for the cost!!

Kifaru International

Settled on the Bikini Duplex frame with Composite stays and a Duplex Timberline 2 bag. Got a few extras for it including a pocket to go on the side that will be used to hold the rifle butt, a grab it II and a hanging meat bag (you will have to go to the site and look if you want to know what I'm taking about). The bags themselves are highly customisable, which also means that if you don't want all the options you can cut some of the extra straps, attachment points, clips etc off. The bag and frame empty weigh just over 2.3kg, and Aron Snyder (Kifaru rep) was able to loose another 300g roughly by cutting shit off that he didn't need. Not to bad for a 85 litre pack I reckon! Miles lighter than the Eberlestock it is replacing (and also lighter than my current 40l daypack), and with more capacity. Everything I have read about the brand and the frames suggests that they are really well built and great from carrying a load. The only thing i am not so sure on at the moment is how it will go clinched right down when used as a daybag...

A mate has recently got a Kuiu Icon 5200 pack, I'm also keen to see how it goes (not that I'll be changing from the Kifaru) as another lightweight option. Same concept as the Kifaru other than the frame is basically entirely carbon fibre. He is also going to get a 1850 bag for it. www.kuiu.com
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Kifaru makes awesome stuff. I've had a Marauder for about 8 years now, really comfortable, very versatile and has held up to a hard life and still looks pretty good.

I have a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500. It is heavy, the bag and frame empty is 4.3kg. It doesn't feel heavy when you are wearing it though. The load distribution really does make a huge difference, but the weight you put in your pack is still their. 40kgs in your bag still feels like 40kgs, but it doesn't fatigue your shoulders and back as much as a shoulder strap only back (Alice, etc). The bag is HUGE and swallow a massive amount of gear. I might get a smaller bag down the road for it, maybe the Overload or the Crew Cab.