Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Best spotlights for deer at Long distance

Quote Originally Posted by Trav-6mmrem View Post
    Olight javlot turbo, 1200m beam had have confidently ID deer out past 700m. Not cheap but they are a amazing torch
    I have this one... i can confidently ID its deer, but not sex etc. its a great torch but has nothing on the acebeam

Lightforce new generation HID is the go mate easily do that distance on a good night with clear conditions. Expensive and need to be held against body until light warms up.

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    You need to come home home for a bit of R n R
    arrived 2 days ago......
    dannyb and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I was going to chime in with a 40mm Bofors, but that 88mm beats the 40mm by a hair.
    A hair and the nut it's attached too?

I have a 2S and 2X maxtoch, the versions that don't like the longer 3600mA Panasonics. I dedomed the 2S which makes a considerable difference in distance, but I would struggle to have the confidence to shoot much past 250/300 and it would have to be perfect conditions. I've had the experience of an 'empty paddock' and shining up a fallow only to find a handful of beefies running down into the overthrow area behind the deer. Turns out a mate of the manager was on the farm that day and didn't reset the gates after driving through so all the animals were in the wrong paddocks. Again a 'tightly controlled, no access/no hunting' farm - we did the right thing by not shooting and stayed to give the manager a hand, but never got the chance to return for another go as it was just too much of a piss around for the farm manager.

I have a cheap rechargable torch from bunnings,bigger than the old dolphins and about same weight.... bloody hopeless for FINDING animals as it has a pencil beam...BUT if you have found one with another light,poke the pencil beam on it and it works well. there are heaps of good lights out there that are just too narrow in beam for finding game but may well help in your situation...and do not discount a red lazer either...its amazing how much light they throw onto target...bonus when spotlighting is you give one to the light man...he can really dial in the trigger man by waving the red dot onto target while keeping spooky animal in edge of light so as not to spook it.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My mate is trialling a new M24 and rates it. Tight bright beam.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    I use these, good to 8,800 yards which pairs nicley with the 88mm flak cannon.

Attachment 202922
    she'd be a bit hard on the old landrovers 12volt battery though old chap. can see the advantage of the 88mm-one hit one deer-skinned cubed and hey ho into the pot (or at least what remained). once shot a hare with me no4Mk1 .303 -18gn roundnose lead slug . okIgot one lower back legwith trailing tendon -rest was compst dangling from trees ferns bushes over a fairly wide area.my title -.303 the go all 18"naval gun". as clint eastwood says c'mon punk make my day.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    she'd be a bit hard on the old landrovers 12volt battery though old chap. can see the advantage of the 88mm-one hit one deer-skinned cubed and hey ho into the pot (or at least what remained). once shot a hare with me no4Mk1 .303 -18gn roundnose lead slug . okIgot one lower back legwith trailing tendon -rest was compst dangling from trees ferns bushes over a fairly wide area.my title -.303 the go all 18"naval gun". as clint eastwood says c'mon punk make my day.
    Welcome back perchance….?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Welcome back perchance….?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yep .cheers yours elf.