Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Build a kit for a newbie

Build a kit for a newbie

Hi Chaps,

As I am near to travel (Hopefully) and be in your fabulas country for some time. Yet to secure the visa but I am just too exited. Wanted to start this thread to get you learned folk’s advice about a small hunting/shooting kit. Though I will be on a budget but would like to build a sturdy kit which should last me few years. Please advice if my choices are okay or you think it needs a change (Brand/type etc.) or I am missing anything. This kit is for area around Wellington, Manawatu etc not really alpine hunting.

Hunting Essentials (On person)

1. Bow (Until I secure FAL) - Big Jim Thunderchild Longbow 50# @28 (Already in New Zealand)
    2. Arrows - Will pick up Gold tip trade in NZ
    3. Jacket - Please advice
    4. Gloves- Apart from archery glove, do I need winter gloves too?
    5. Pants - Kuiu Attack pants
    6. Boots - Salewas?
    7. Binos - Will pick up Vortex Diamondbacks
    8. Bino Harness- Vortex
    9. Range finder - Got a basic Bushnell
    10. Knife - Have few ESEE’s but also picking up one from @viper
    11. On person first aid kit - No idea will need advice
    12. Multitool - Have a small Victorinox do I need a bigger one?
    13. Pack - Kuiu Pro LT frame pack kit
    14. Rain Jacket - Need advice
    15. Meat bag - Pillow covers?
    16. PLB - Need advice

Please advice if you think I am missing anything in on person list

I hope this thread will also help other newbies to build a kit. Will be starting similar threads on Camping and Fishing so that is separate. This is mainly for what will be on my person while hunting (Goats, deer etc)

Thanks in advance chaps.

-Inder
    Pengy likes this.

Really clothing will come down to what island and what seasons you want to hunt. For me I carry a down jacket and a basic rain coat. I seldom wear long pants, it has to be really cold before I do.
    MB and Inder like this.

a top to toe pack from any of the places that sell them...farmlands,wrightsons,H&f etc will cover most things.decent raincoat...some good milserp ones.... boots is a personal thing....try before you buy.... good you getting knife off Viper...get a sub$20 bacho for all the other tasks.... never needed a miltitool.... packs are also personal thing...I love my K2Hunter as when I get an animal I load the bejesus out of it weight wise.... much prefer external frame packs...there are loads of good ones 2nd hand....
    trademe is a really good place to see whats around and give ballpark prices.
    you dont need flash gear..... the warehouse polarfleece is good stuff.
    Inder likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Really clothing will come down to what island and what seasons you want to hunt. For me I carry a down jacket and a basic rain coat. I seldom wear long pants, it has to be really cold before I do.
    Thanks @Happy Jack. If its up to me I will be hunting every weekend year around . Mainly around wellington area. I have a very high threshold for cold so hopefully I can survive in shorts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    a top to toe pack from any of the places that sell them...farmlands,wrightsons,H&f etc will cover most things.decent raincoat...some good milserp ones.... boots is a personal thing....try before you buy.... good you getting knife off Viper...get a sub$20 bacho for all the other tasks.... never needed a miltitool.... packs are also personal thing...I love my K2Hunter as when I get an animal I load the bejesus out of it weight wise.... much prefer external frame packs...there are loads of good ones 2nd hand....
    trademe is a really good place to see whats around and give ballpark prices.
    you dont need flash gear..... the warehouse polarfleece is good stuff.
    Thanks @Micky Duck. that sound sensible. Will visit these places once you I there.

Banned
    My thoughts;

Duley Hat, Best camo item, breaks the human outline

Microfibre pants - I used to wear shorts but found I would get scratched and Hook grass seeds. Microfribre pants weigh 260 grams were only about $25 should be able to get them in India.

Super light synthetic camo top, long sleeve and loose fit. I like the Hunters Element tops. Use this as a top layer and then layer underneath with cheep fleece. Saves having everything camo and twigs and rubbish dont cling to stretch synthetic.

As HJ writes above, down jacket and light waterproof 'fit in its own pocket' coat. A better coat might be needed on a big mission but chances are most hunting will be day trips and overnighters. I have a 'Game gear' Carry cape that is good as a coat and for carrying an animal
    Inder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    My thoughts;

Duley Hat, Best camo item, breaks the human outline

Microfibre pants - I used to wear shorts but found I would get scratched and Hook grass seeds. Microfribre pants weigh 260 grams were only about $25 should be able to get them in India.

Super light synthetic camo top, long sleeve and loose fit. I like the Hunters Element tops. Use this as a top layer and then layer underneath with cheep fleece. Saves having everything camo and twigs and rubbish dont cling to stretch synthetic.

As HJ writes above, down jacket and light waterproof 'fit in its own pocket' coat. A better coat might be needed on a big mission but chances are most hunting will be day trips and overnighters. I have a 'Game gear' Carry cape that is good as a coat and for carrying an animal

Thanks @Moa Hunter. not sure about Microfibre pants, maybe they are called something else here. Will find out. I do have some hiking pants (Bought from Decalathon) which are pretty lightweight. Planning to be in US before I am in NZ. Will pick up some stuff from there.

Game gear carry cape makes sense. Thanks for pointing to it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    Thanks @Moa Hunter. not sure about Microfibre pants, maybe they are called something else here. Will find out. I do have some hiking pants (Bought from Decalathon) which are pretty lightweight. Planning to be in US before I am in NZ. Will pick up some stuff from there.

Game gear carry cape makes sense. Thanks for pointing to it.
    Microfibre pants are sold as gym / sports pants but very very lightweight stretch nylon. I was so impressed with them for work and for hunting I bought six pairs. If you get the type with a zip at the ankle, they can be worn with the zip open and the leg will cover the top of the boots and keep most rubbish out
    Inder likes this.

check out meoptas for binos, just my 10 cents for hunting clothing here in south island Big fan of stoney creek gear, pretty personal and even here in southland different gear then if i was in otago, but a good jacket (stoney creek) good polar fleece jersey pair of shorts and good pants you should have the bases covered, i also like a long sleeved lightwieght top for alpine, stoney creek and hunters element both make a good one
    Inder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Microfibre pants are sold as gym / sports pants but very very lightweight stretch nylon. I was so impressed with them for work and for hunting I bought six pairs. If you get the type with a zip at the ankle, they can be worn with the zip open and the leg will cover the top of the boots and keep most rubbish out
    Got you, I already have few too many track suits. Will use those. I do have one not with zip but with draw strings at the ankles made by PUMA. Thanks for the tip.

-Inder

MB
    I did start writing some advice, but it didn't read well, so thought I'd share my actual day hunting kit. Other people will have a different ideas, but every item whether you take it or not has risks/benefits. Main risk of taking something you don't use is extra weight which can wear you down after while. My kit is much smaller now than when I started and this has contributed to my success.

thejamesjames and Inder like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I did start writing some advice, but it didn't read well, so thought I'd share my actual day hunting kit. Other people will have a different ideas, but every item whether you take it or not has risks/benefits. Main risk of taking something you don't use is extra weight which can wear you down after while. My kit is much smaller now than when I started and this has contributed to my success.

This is gold MB, I was missing too many essentials things like compass, torch etc. Excuse my newbieness but what is OSM?

MB
    This is gold MB, I was missing too many essentials things like compass, torch etc. Excuse my newbieness but what is OSM?
    Haha! OSM = One Square Meal. A sort of synthetic food stuff that feeds the body, but not the soul!

https://www.osm.nz/
    thejamesjames and Inder like this.

MB
    My watch functions as a primary compass and my torch is very small, but it is bright and lasts long enough to get me out of a pickle. I have a bigger torch for longer trips in to the bush.

Inder likes this.

GPS Topo map on phone good.
    Carry a compass and laminated map as back up now
    caberslash and Inder like this.