Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Carrying Knives

Carrying Knives

I got asked the other day what the laws in NZ say about everyday carrying of knives, like in a vehicle and/or in a bag/backpack for work and travel. I assumed a small blade folding knife, pocket knife and multi-tool would be ok as long as its not taken into a public and government area and building. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    duckdog likes this.

Reasonable excuse. Fact specific.
    timattalon, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

There's no rules against carrying knives, excepting ballisong, flick knives, double-edged throwing knives etc which are illegal in their own right.

Single-edge throwing knives, just fine. Folders and sheath knives fine. I mean, if you had reasonable grounds or lawful excuse a machete is fine.

There IS legislation with regard to carrying concealed, or brandishing WEAPONS.

My knives are not weapons.
    CBH Australia likes this.
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

interesting thread.
    Use enough gun

Specific places have additional higher restrictions, Parliament grounds, Corrections and Govt department offices, Courts and Police, Hospitals and mass transit facilities off the top of my head. Lawful purpose reasonable excuse basically...
    CBH Australia likes this.

I generally have a leatherman tool in my pocket with a folding blade and other tools in my pocket, at home, on the range, on public transport, in public and government spaces - but not as carry on for airplanes.

I often have a folding knife on me too. Never been stopped or questioned.

Lawful purpose I hope covers me as I have no record of assaults with/without weapons.

Folders are legal to carry if blade is under 100mm in length. Any blade longer than that must have legal reason to carry eg. hunting, camping etc.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    There seems to be a bit of confusion here between import policy and legislation on knife ownership.

No knife is prohibited from being owned in NZ - you may own daggers, swords, butterfly knives, OTF's, knuckle dusters etc. but you may not import them without a permit.

There is no minimum or maximum length when carrying a knife, its all down to what the coppers refer to as reasonable excuse and his/her interpretation thereof. (the 89mm blade length is an import length)

You can find the police guidance policy here which details instructions to officers and also lists the various legislation which you can find on https://www.legislation.govt.nz/
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Folders are legal to carry if blade is under 100mm in length. Any blade longer than that must have legal reason to carry eg. hunting, camping etc.
    Posted above based on what I was told after going through vehicle and personal search when stopped at random checkpoint about seven years ago. Copper saw my knife, in sheath, sitting on back seat. Had Mercator pocket knife in pocket.Cop was being a cunt until older officer told him to pull his head in.
    Micky Duck likes this.

there is a bacho in door pocket of both my vechiles.... a swiss army knife in my work bag...in rear of terrano on floor will often be one or more sheathed knives depending on when/where last hunted.... resonable reason is the key..."yes your honour,I had been hunting last weekend,got home late and left all my stuff in wagon"
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Micky Duck. Reminds me of incident back about ‘83. Had been hunting earlier in day then went into town and had a few beers as you did back then. Stopped and got a burger on way home that night, got just out of town and stopped at side of road to eat said burger. Just finishing burger when I hear the gentle swish of Holden fan belt pulling alongside. The dreaded plods are here. Cop wanted to know if everything was alright, had I been drinking etc. Was Saturday so the answer was yes obviously. Cop decided he should take me home rather than me drive. The he saw knife and gear, no rifle thankfully, on back seat so I had to explain that to him re: hunting earlier in day. To top it off, I get in back seat of prowler and there’s newly promoted Sergeant sitting there smiling at me. He says “ evening Mr ****, thought you might like a ride home rather than the station after seeing your car at the pub the last wee while. There were some good cops around back in the day. Had to walk back and get the car next morning but.

Thanks @terryf for the correct info
    terryf likes this.
    Happy Jack.

basically dont be a dick with it and you'll be fine..
    199p and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 11mms View Post
    There's no rules against carrying knives, excepting ballisong, flick knives, double-edged throwing knives etc which are illegal in their own right.

Single-edge throwing knives, just fine. Folders and sheath knives fine. I mean, if you had reasonable grounds or lawful excuse a machete is fine.

There IS legislation with regard to carrying concealed, or brandishing WEAPONS.

My knives are not weapons.
    The knife lying in your cars glovebox is not a 'weapon', as such. The instant you pick it up and show intent to be offensive with it, or indeed are offensive with it in the eyes of the law it then becomes a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Specific places have additional higher restrictions, Parliament grounds, Corrections and Govt department offices, Courts and Police, Hospitals and mass transit facilities off the top of my head. Lawful purpose reasonable excuse basically...
    I carry two knives with me on a daily basis in a hospital, a 38mm key-ring knife and a Leatherman. Both are used multiple times per day. Lawful purpose is the key phrase in the legislation.