Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: chaps, does anyone wear chaps rather than pants? any good? bad points?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    on a serious note, try Cactus outdoor clothing, expensive but they make canvas pants

Hamish
    cactus supertrousers, 12oz canvas. Takes a while to wear them in, very stiff.
    gadgetman and Dougie like this.

haha i knew some of these comments would pop up for sure when i was writing this, i cant find the pants that suit me stoney creek tundra would be perfect but i cant get my boot through because the zip doesnt come all the way up, and i dont see the point in paying 230 for a pair then putting a full length zip that will void my warranty... so the thought of chaps crossed my mind, as did the village people and of course billyT singing "ABCO MAN ".
    twin needle do them for 175 i think

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    cactus supertrousers, 12oz canvas. Takes a while to wear them in, very stiff.
    I have the 6oz ones

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Oh lordy, my favorite subject YEE HAAA!!

When we have to wear chaps at work for cutting with the chainsaw they are called the chaps of shame.

For the OP I dont think you'll get to be any cooler wearing chaps ( temperature wise that is )

Personally I have a couple of pair ( 3 if you include the flash ones I wear down the local on riders night )

One is a light weight waterproof pair that are good in cut over pine but where there is lots of ink weed / tall grass.

The other is a pair of "tincloth" oil skin cloth types that handle heavy gorse and spikey shit. Both have their uses depending on the terrain to be hunted.

..... edit just read the above costs The rain proof ones were $30 from Cabelas and the tin cloth ones were a Hundy US

Chaps sound great to me, why are there not more pics in this thread?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    birch likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Will you also be taking a chainsaw to chop the meat up?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    I have the 6oz ones

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Do you mean 8oz? I'll be buying some at field days

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Do you mean 8oz? I'll be buying some at field days
    Nope 6oz

https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/clot...users-6oz.html
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

MSL
    Yeah just checked. Those might be the go

Wear my twin needle chaps every day at work on the farm, they are awesome, much more comfortable than cactus pants.
    Chaps with zip | TwinNeedle
    Last edited by Splash; 02-06-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    birch and JasonW like this.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

[QUOTE=Splash;600230]Wear my twin needle chaps every day at work on the farm, they are awesome, much more comfortable than cactus pants.
    [url=http://www.twinneedle.co.nz/product/chaps

so im trying to work out their sizing, when it says diamiter at the top what do they mean? dai is accross a circle, do they mean circumfrance?of the trunk of your leg at crouch hight?

Just give them a call or email they will help you out.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

Use them pig hunting, but they aren't quiet to move in especially when new. Use the old ones in cutover etc when hunting deer.

I wear them a lot, yes good for keeping warm in winter. I tend to leave them at home if in the native and not going into the thick or prickly stuff and opt for the long johns under shorts.

Best and cheapest around are from game gear: https://gamegear.co.nz/collections/t...htweight-chaps

I've had mine for about 3 years and absolutely thrashed them and are still humming. There is a little bit of stitching around the leather at the bottom that's come a little loose, but a needle and thread will quickly remedy that. But again I really have thrashed them and pretty much worn them ever hunt out for kilometers on end trudging about the hills, into gorse etc.... Only recently started leaving them at home here and there when out for a deer.

I wear them a lot, yes good for keeping warm in winter. I tend to leave them at home if in the native and not going into the thick or prickly stuff and opt for the long johns under shorts.

Best and cheapest around are from game gear: https://gamegear.co.nz/collections/t...htweight-chaps

I've had mine for about 3 years and absolutely thrashed them and are still humming. There is a little bit of stitching around the leather at the bottom that's come a little loose, but a needle and thread will quickly remedy that. But again I really have thrashed them and pretty much worn them ever hunt out for kilometers on end trudging about the hills, into gorse etc.... Only recently started leaving them at home here and there when out for a deer.

As far as slowing you down, for quite a while I was covering 25kms in a hunt wearing these chaps the whole time and had no issues what so ever. They have leather patches down the bottom for added strength where they often chaff on your boots while walking, however as an added bonus it chops down on the noise so have never had any issues there with them either.

Awsome product and cheap as chips!