Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Clothing

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I sweat like a Draught horse that has just ploughed the back 100. Break out just looking at a hill. I have never found the balance and have long since given up. A hand towel and something dry to sleep in gets me by.
    oneshot likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    What do you wear when out on a hunt with a reasonable amount of walking? Not extreme mountain climbing/alpine stuff. Just long walks with steep hills. I can't seem to get it right whatever I do. Either too hot or cold!
    Almost all my clothing these days is from armyandoutdoors. Sick of box brand crap blowing stitching, falling apart, leaking, tearing and being way overpriced! Army gear is awesome quality and made to work.

You cant go wrong with an SAS smock imo (https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/co...ant=8260518339) Those are awesome, breathable, wind proof, have pit zips, then just a thin gortex layer for over top if it starts to rain or the wind is really hammering. I build my whole clothing system around them and i say theres nothing out there that comes close to them.

Re getting too hot you really have to layer your clothing and be putting on or removing layers as you go whilst out in the field depending on exposure to the elements, how much heat your generating by pushing up a steep hill sheltered from the wind or stalking slowly in the open fully exposed to the wind etcetc...

Base layers, best i've found over the years is either polyprop, merino or other wool products. There warm in winter, cool in summer, light and compact, moisture wicking, oder-resistant, quick drying and a heap more!

Bamboo is an awesome material as well, bloody expensive though

MB
    Thanks for the replies. There are some common themes. I'm trying a few things out while walking up Mount Manaia as often as possible (to get fitter for hunting). Whangarei locals will know this is as a short, reasonably steep DOC track.