Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Cooking systems - gas vs hexamine stove/ open fire

These are pretty good. Has a regulator so isn't affected as much by temperature and altitude.
    OD-1R | Products | SOTO
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I have a variety of set ups. The most convenient is the basic gas stove and billy.

But on some trips I will take a home made folding wood burner stove which can also act as a wind shield/ pot stand for an alcohol stove or hexies. Essentially its a hinged fire box with one side with an opening through which you can feed the wood in or light the alcohol stove/hexies etc.

The wood used are small twigs up to finger size or so - much easier to find in most areas than dry larger campfire sized logs. The fire box itself directs the flame/ heat on to the pot making it much more efficient than an open fire.

The floor of the unit sits on a couple of wire pegs that can be positioned at various heights up and down the unit depending on whether you are using alcohol, hexies or wood. I have drilled the floor full of holes to allow air flow in wood burning mode.

Wood Burning mode

Alcohol Stove mode
    gadgetman and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

My set up is much the same as Ryan's and Hamish's.

But I've got this back to basics thing going on at the moment, so recently when I was in the States I bought a little wood stove. I mainly got it for when with the grand children because I want them to appreciate some more basic things. But I will try it out on a Sika fly in trip some time too.

Solo Stove Titan Wood Burning Camp Stove Review

Interesting wee stove Tahr. I still do a fair amount of cooking over a fire as it covers a multitude of chores, get warm, dry gear out and cooks my food. All which is difficult to do with a gas cooker, however I do have a kovea gas cooker as well for quick brews

GWH
    Here's a useful little tip for those using gas cannister stoves, particularly in the colder months.

I got showed this on a recent trip with a chap who has done a fair bit of winter tahr hunting.

Put a pop up bowl (I use a sea to summit one) under the cannister.

Creates a more stable base as well. Only put a small amount of water in the pot initially ( just enough to pour into the bowl to go about 1cm or so up the cannister)

Start the cooker and heat to not much more than warm. Poor warm water into the bowl while leaving cooker going. Note how much better it starts burning.

Fill pot with amount of water needed. Return to heat.

This makes the gas cookers work far more efficiently in colder temps, boils water much faster and conserves gas.

It's a great trick and the little expandable bowl comes in handy too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

But I've got this back to basics thing going on at the moment, so recently when I was in the States I bought a little wood stove. I mainly got it for when with the grand children because I want them to appreciate some more basic things. But I will try it out on a Sika fly in trip some time too.

I've used one quite alot. Good stoves.

@GWH bit safer than sticking a candle under its arse

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @GWH bit safer than sticking a candle under its arse
    It is, mind you if your pot boils over and fills the bowl with boiling water it does go nuts, best to get the cannister out of that bowl pretty quick if that does happen.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

sneakywaza I got
    When I was gas metal spraying down south in winter, I used to switch to the smaller 9kg propane bottle and dump it in a 60 ltr drum half filled with warm water so I could get enough gas flow (-5 was not unusual at the start of the day) - scary to watch the flow gauges if you got the water temp wrong!.

Winter Tahr hunting I like my Whisperlight liquid fuel stove, goes like hell no matter the temp or altitude , chuck the wee frypan on it and you have an awesome wee heater to thaw out the fingers and dry stuff with. Wouldn't use it in the bloody tent though!, that really is where the Jetboil is great, much safer to make a brew in your bag with that when it is custard outside the tent.
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    When I was gas metal spraying down south in winter, I used to switch to the smaller 9kg propane bottle and dump it in a 60 ltr drum half filled with warm water so I could get enough gas flow (-5 was not unusual at the start of the day) - scary to watch the flow gauges if you got the water temp wrong!.

Winter Tahr hunting I like my Whisperlight liquid fuel stove, goes like hell no matter the temp or altitude , chuck the wee frypan on it and you have an awesome wee heater to thaw out the fingers and dry stuff with. Wouldn't use it in the bloody tent though!, that really is where the Jetboil is great, much safer to make a brew in your bag with that when it is custard outside the tent.
    Whisperlites are good for boiling water or cooking the crap out of something, but hopeless for just gently simmering something, Coleman Peak1 is the only liquid fuel stove I have seen that you can turn right down to a genuine simmer and it will happily chug away like that

I like frying up nan bread to bulk up my meals so was thinking of a pot and frying pan lid set up. Anyone use the primus lite tech at all???

Might even try some fried heart out at some stage!!! Thought the oldboy on last hunt was gonna show us how to do it, but his heart shot ruined that idea
    GWH likes this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    I like frying up nan bread to bulk up my meals so was thinking of a pot and frying pan lid set up. Anyone use the primus lite tech at all???

Might even try some fried heart out at some stage!!! Thought the oldboy on last hunt was gonna show us how to do it, but his heart shot ruined that idea
    Take an onion to fry up with ya heart mate

Roger that
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

I wonder what future cooking on a wood fire or perhahps any fire has in our country with this stupidity going on?

https://www.facebook.com/FMCNZ/photo...type=3&theater
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    I use the exact same cooker with an old 400ml enamel cup to cook in. Simplicity at its best.
    I bought a few cookers in from AliExpress, mates love them.

I have several options for different scenarios, whether hunting or just tramping or a Jet boil type unit that I use if tramping with my young fella for a few days.
    900ml pot, but the system weighs 500grams. Little cooker above is only 50grams plus the enamel cup
    Outpost X1 Star Heat Exchanger Cooking System (like a jetboil) | Outpost Supplies NZ 2014 Ltd.