Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rock river arms hunter

Thread: Day pack 25L

Day pack 25L

Hey guys what is everyone's experience with the spika drover pro 25L and the canyon pack 25L hunters element. Looking for a decent day pack for $250 or less.
    Cheers

STC
    The bushbuck one is great! have 2 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    The bushbuck one is great! have 2 of them.
    Is that the roamer mate?
    What do you manage to fit in there? I see it's got about 3 compartments.
    Last edited by Click26; 23-02-2024 at 08:14 PM.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Click26 View Post
    Is that the roamer mate?
    What do you manage to fit in there? I see it's got about 3 compartments.
    Indeed it is.

I reckon its quite spacious for how small it is. If you wanted to do a very light overnighter in a hut, you could probably fit all gear in there.

I usually use it for day trips only, and it has been very good for that, especially bush stalking. In open country I still prefer a larger pack as it just allows packing more meat.

The maximum I have loaded "into" it was: 1 1/5l bottle of water. first aid kit, knife + small items, a fleece jacket, backstraps as well as 1 skinned foreleg and 1 skinned back leg of a 10 pointer red stag (love to keep the bone for broth). As you can imagine that was the absolute max this pack could handle, and the legs sticked out quite a bit. Rain cover helped keep everything together. Hunting buddy took the rest.

Also very happy with their bino bag to go with it (you can get straps to attach it directly to your backpack) by the way.

I’ve got the Spika 25L for day trips, I think it’s great. Comes with a cover, scabbard, and bladder, all for a pretty good price. Admittedly I don’t use it nearly as much as my larger packs but I’ve got no issues with the durability so far and it’s been very comfy with the frame it has, on trips I’ve done with up to 8-9 hours walking fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Indeed it is.

I reckon its quite spacious for how small it is. If you wanted to do a very light overnighter in a hut, you could probably fit all gear in there.

I usually use it for day trips only, and it has been very good for that, especially bush stalking. In open country I still prefer a larger pack as it just allows packing more meat.

The maximum I have loaded "into" it was: 1 1/5l bottle of water. first aid kit, knife + small items, a fleece jacket, backstraps as well as 1 skinned foreleg and 1 skinned back leg of a 10 pointer red stag (love to keep the bone for broth). As you can imagine that was the absolute max this pack could handle, and the legs sticked out quite a bit. Rain cover helped keep everything together. Hunting buddy took the rest.

Also very happy with their bino bag to go with it (you can get straps to attach it directly to your backpack) by the way.
    Thanks for the insite mate. I already own there bino bag that's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehogan View Post
    I’ve got the Spika 25L for day trips, I think it’s great. Comes with a cover, scabbard, and bladder, all for a pretty good price. Admittedly I don’t use it nearly as much as my larger packs but I’ve got no issues with the durability so far and it’s been very comfy with the frame it has, on trips I’ve done with up to 8-9 hours walking fully loaded.
    I saw that deal in the latest h&f mag. How do you transport your meat with that pack or do you use a separate game bag?

Pillow case on the meat shelf with Spika packs that's how I do it with my big pack

I've got the spika 25L I really rate it, nice angled back for crawling under scrub, enough space for a fully loaded day pack, very durable. I loaded up two red stag back legs (had them strapped to the side upside down sticking out of the water bottle holders on the side) and backsteaks plus all my gear and it didn't feel like it was near breaking

I had the 25L HE Canyon.

Good harness.
    Plenty of pockets with good organisation.

Sold it tho..... just too small, especially in winter but also when you need to cary meat out.

Get a bigger pack that you can sinch in, you won't regret it !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I run the 35+10 one of these https://www.tightlines.co.nz/Item/St...Pack-30L-olive

However if you're after a 25L they do a 20L or a 30L sizing.

Only downside is the zips are a bit tingy so what I did to eliminate that issue is get some electric tape and wrap it around the eyes of the zips, problem sussed. Very comfy and bear weight really well. Like all Tatonka stuff it's bloody tough.
    dannyb and Click26 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    I had the 25L HE Canyon.

Good harness.
    Plenty of pockets with good organisation.

Sold it tho..... just too small, especially in winter but also when you need to cary meat out.

Get a bigger pack that you can sinch in, you won't regret it !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Fair call. I went for the bushbuck 25l for now. I'll look at a bigger one once I'm ready. Thanks for the advice

For only $39 more you could buy a twinneedle molleme pack. Fucking brilliant, comfortable, NZ made and will last 10x longer than the Chinese shit you're considering buying.

Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    For only $39 more you could buy a twinneedle molleme pack. Fucking brilliant, comfortable, NZ made and will last 10x longer than the Chinese shit you're considering buying.
    Agreed. I have a spare one in black I would be willing to let go. It’s the earlier model before the gun scabbard mod but Twinneedle could add this if desired, however probably not required if predominantly a day bag. Still in great condition.