Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Exped lightning packs?

Quote Originally Posted by joelhenton View Post
    What sort of loads do you think these packs can carry?
    Used one to carry the majority of a couple of reds we got in October way up high, reckon we had about 35kg in one maybe a bit more...
    It was pure misery....grossly overloaded at that weight and all the harnesses cutting in, on a steep downhill.
    They have their uses and the manufacturer rating seems reasonable at 25kg, but they have their limitations also.

Agree with all the comments, good for light weight, fast trips, can be uncomfortable when overloaded with meat on a big carry out and the compression strap system could be better, but it’s 2kg lighter than my Cascade, on 5-7 trips I’ll still take my cascade as it’s more comfortable and a stronger pack.
    davhope likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

MB
    I just got the Exped Lightning 60L. I have mixed feelings. When I got it out the box, my first thought was there are straps everywhere. Once I got my head around what they all do, I managed to tidy it up a bit. I need the harness on nearly the smallest configuration to put the weight on my hips. A bit strange because I'm average height and if anything, I have a long torso proportionally. Took it on a day tramp today. Loaded it with a couple of sleeping bags, some dive weights and other bits and piece to a total weight of 12kg. My back was less sweaty than when using a more traditional backpack, but I felt some rubbing on my lower back and the front of my hips where the belt rests. Not a big deal for a day hike, but over a few days, I know that minor gripes can turn in to real pain. It was also a bit noisy, squeaking when I rotated my torso. Maybe this will settle down with time. Not overwhelmed to be honest, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I just got the Exped Lightning 60L. I have mixed feelings. When I got it out the box, my first thought was there are straps everywhere. Once I got my head around what they all do, I managed to tidy it up a bit. I need the harness on nearly the smallest configuration to put the weight on my hips. A bit strange because I'm average height and if anything, I have a long torso proportionally. Took it on a day tramp today. Loaded it with a couple of sleeping bags, some dive weights and other bits and piece to a total weight of 12kg. My back was less sweaty than when using a more traditional backpack, but I felt some rubbing on my lower back and the front of my hips where the belt rests. Not a big deal for a day hike, but over a few days, I know that minor gripes can turn in to real pain. It was also a bit noisy, squeaking when I rotated my torso. Maybe this will settle down with time. Not overwhelmed to be honest, but we will see.
    Loosen the load lifters and shoulder straps right off, cinch the hip belt then readjust. They will carry 20-25kg very well when properly adjusted, much more and the frame starts to flex. The hip belts on them are mint, but the shoulder straps and frame are only really worth the 25 kegs they are rated for. Still plenty good to carry gear and a deer
    MB likes this.