Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: First pocket knife for kids - opinions, advice wanted

RV1

First pocket knife for kids - opinions, advice wanted

Hi all, I'm looking for your opinions and advice for pocketknives for kids. Any recommendations and advice?

Sensible (mostly) kids aged 8-12. My first knife was a small red Swiss Army folder. However lately I've had people tell me they don't like that it doesn't have a locking blade and instead gave their kids small single blade folders.

I expect two of my kids will mostly keep it stored in a drawer and take it out on "special occasions" like holidays, day trips to the river etc. The other one will carry it every minute he can and try to find a thousand uses for it... He'll be careful but his enthusiasm means he'll probably break the point off and cut himself at least once or twice... Some people only learn by doing...

MSL
    Leatherman micro is pretty good for kids. Victorinox ‘soldier’ with the alloy grips is nice and simple. I don’t think the non locking blade is as big an issue as some make out. Someone who cuts themselves due to a non locking blade, is just as likely to cut themselves with a spoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend an Opinel, can get different sizes. Simple with a locking blade and good steel. Nothing too fancy for a first knife.

RV1
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post
    I would recommend an Opinel, can get different sizes. Simple with a locking blade and good steel. Nothing too fancy for a first knife.
    Yes, I've been looking at those... they look nice and simple.
    Someone advised to take it apart and ease it a little as they can swell and stick. I've never owned myself.

Opinel do a my first pocket knife that has a blunt tip, like a butter knife so. Still razor sharp tho. Best thing about them is they have a very positive locking system so no chance of it accidentally closing on little fingers when used the wrong way
    300CALMAN, Basenjiboy and RV1 like this.

Banned
    H&F gave away some little folders with fishing licences a few years ago, then they gave away a bigger one. The little one, with timber scales and a side lock was an extremely good knife in shape and function. The bigger one with the part serrated blade is not a patch. The small one had about a 60mm blade and I would give those to kids in a flash.
    The bomb, Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Lot depends on whether they're keepers or losers - cheap and cheerful if the latter.
    timattalon and RV1 like this.

The little peasant knives, opinels, are great.
    Unfortunately kids loose things so don't spend heaps. Or if you think your kid will value it get him something better. Who knows he may have it still in his old age.
    We just don't have access to the traditional knives that fathers bought their sons eg the Schrage Old Timers.

My grandfather was a butcher and he always maintained that it was the blunt knives that cut you.

Opinel, Available with kids sized handles, good lockout on the blade that the kids can operate. A lot of other locks are too fiddly for little fingers. Drill a hole and fit a bright paracord lanyard. Keep the blade oiled if you don't get a stainless blade.
    40mm and RV1 like this.

RV1
    Yes, not spending lots at this age. Just something to get them started, something that's "theirs" to play and learn with (and so they'll stop borrowing mine!). They love cutting things, carving pointy sticks, and just messing around in the bush with a knife. Much like I was at that age.

Banned
    Buy a cheap one - Trade me is full of cheapy knives and the little dears will lose them for sure. Its a kid thing
    RV1 likes this.

mercator knock off..... or better still the horsehead brand chinese wood n brass lockable folders...come in all sizes and are bomb proof.
    timattalon and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I wouldn't get too hung up about what sort If it is a knife they will love it no matter.
    Opinel is probably a good choice for kids. Won't matter if they loose it and it won't be hard to upgrade if they don't.
    RV1 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Opinel
    40mm and RV1 like this.
    ‘Facts don’t care about your feelings’

Mini peasant in their favorite color
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.