Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: FLIR Thermal Vision Gear

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I don't really get into the trophy hunting side of it. I just like shooting stuff. Wouldn't say no to a nice stag, but wouldn't pass up a hind or a spiker either. Getting into the field and fucking around with gear is part of the fun for me, which is why I like this kind of gear and don't have a problem with it being used for hunting. I like to do what ever spins my wheels, and I respect other peoples preferences. I suppose I don't get as wound up as some people cuz I'm not as precious about hunting.

I have nothing against the gear or using it for hunting/pest control at all. I would love to own some myself. I used it for yrs for a job. I just wouldnt credit a trophy animal harvested with it, that is all.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I bet all you purist hunters yell out to the deer to let it know you are there before shooting it
    50 yards sneaky, or 800yds at night sneaky is same shit different shovel.
    Either way a lump of hot lead puts an end to a lazy afternoon

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I bet all you purist hunters yell out to the deer to let it know you are there before shooting it
    I have whistled numerous times to get them to lift their heads for a wee injection, but do not recall yelling.
    I beg to differ Mr Spanners! 50yrds is not the same as 800yrds in any hunting context. You have been sniffing far too much salt air at sea or the fumes out of your reloading room.
    Best you scuttle off to the gunclub, snot some clays and sniff some shotshell smoke. You will feel better as well
    veitnamcam and Neckshot like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

ebf
    Why not just strap a scattergun to a quadrotor and "hunt" from the safety and comfort of your favorite armchair
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    mostly the human race has no hunting tools, other than our brain -

in a deadliest warrior contest human vs deer - I think we'll lose without tools

A lot of deer are shot at 100m-300m - sniped at really, not really a even fight

One end of the scale would be get so close you can hear them breath - other end is remote control gunship

One end is certainly not hunting - but there is a lot of middle ground

People have less time these days to do things - mostly grow up in the city, don't have fathers that hunted to show them how - so times are changing

I generally don't hunt with my gear - I use it for practice for a job I do (training people to find people)

ebf
    I think humans have used "technology" since the beginning. a sharpened rock, a spear or a rifle... its all technology.

If technology helps to dispatch the animal in a humane way and quickly, I have no issue.

To me the difference lies in using technology to find the animal, and here I have similar views to R93. If you do the hard yards, learn animal behavior and sign, and find your quarry using skills, then to me that is an ethical hunt. If you use technology such as IR to locate game, I do not consider it ethical.

I guess in a way binocs and scopes help me find animals, so kinda hypocritical depending on how you look at it

Obviously other people have different views, and how you choose to hunt is up to each individual.

The FLIR is really good for gripping poachers
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    The FLIR is really good for gripping poachers

yep it sure is - a places should have them really

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I don't really get into the trophy hunting side of it. I just like shooting stuff. Wouldn't say no to a nice stag, but wouldn't pass up a hind or a spiker either. Getting into the field and fucking around with gear is part of the fun for me, which is why I like this kind of gear and don't have a problem with it being used for hunting. I like to do what ever spins my wheels, and I respect other peoples preferences. I suppose I don't get as wound up as some people cuz I'm not as precious about hunting.
    Fair call and well said bevis.having used this gear as a grunter the thought never crossed my mind for using it for hunting animals this way due to how and why we were using in the feild.But if i was to back my own truck up......my old man gave me shit about using NVG's saying he didnt use that shit in Veitnam and continued to call us pussys.So like you said what ever blows ya hair back and i shouldnt be so high and mighty myself!!.

I would barely call myself a hunter let alone a purist I just like switching letters around and making Dave laugh.
    On a more sensible note though I understand where hes comming from and yes there will always be some hypocrisy involved unless you discard the lion cloth and chase them down ripping their throat out with your teeth.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    I understand where hes comming from and yes there will always be some hypocrisy involved unless you discard the lion cloth and chase them down ripping their throat out with your teeth.
    Lion or loin ?

I only do that every first Tue of the month, and limit myself to possums

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Hunting is the act of the Hunt correct?

From Dictionary.com

hunt
    verb (used with object)
    to chase or search for (game or other wild animals) for the purpose of catching or killing.

I cant see how those that 'disagree' with using thermal or IR can justify it
    50yds, 500yds, IR, Thermal, 30x scope or bow - same same
    I embrace technology for use in hunting - makes my job easier and if I didnt enjoy it then wouldnt use/do it, but you cant say I'm biased as I sold all my IR gear

If we have to draw the line on whats not hunting, then I think it should be limited to knife, spear and recurve bow (wood only)

Home made not bought in a shop wearing nothing but you home made skin clothes.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Lion or loin ?

I only do that every first Tue of the month, and limit myself to possums
    Hmmm... yes winning a lion cloth with nothing but your teeth would make you quite the purist
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    purist
    Purist
    Puris
    Puri
    Pur
    Pu
    P
    D
    Du
    Dum
    Dumb
    Dumbe
    Dumbes
    Dumbest

There's a reason man made weapons
    VIVA LA HOWA

I think it would be extremely challenging to hunt animals at night, from long distance, even with the best gear.