Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Folding knife for hunting

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Had one of these (maybe Cam will drag it up one day, its on the bottom of the bay somewhere...) brilliant folder. Will get another.
    Attachment 74162
    I like that shape a lot.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

A chris Reeve or a Hinderer are great if budget is not concerned (although they should last forever so $/forever is a pretty good deal), spyderco, zero tolerance, strider make damn good folders too still a tad spendy though, many cheaper brands will also do the job, just make sure they are well cleaned so as too not gunk up the lock, having a folder fold on a finger is not fun, been there, got the scar.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I like Spyderco knives.

Stretch (ZDP-189) next to BRK Loveless Drop Point Hunter (3V) thanks to @sneeze.
    I'd think if you broke it you're doing something wrong.
    I'd prefer a frame lock but the lockback has yet to fail me. The only thing to keep an eye on is stuff like lint etc can stop the blade fully folding. This can interfere with the lock on many folders.
    Gay little knifes ..suppose they are good match for a 243 though , cant stand anything under a 6 inch blade ,a decent butchers knife is hard to beat

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Gay little knifes ..suppose they are good match for a 243 though , cant stand anything under a 6 inch blade ,a decent butchers knife is hard to beat
    Never had any issues with size but if a big knife makes you feel less gay go for it.
    Biggun708 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

MSL
    A six inch butchers knife just sits so nicely in the pocket

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    A six inch butchers knife just sits so nicely in the pocket
    Maybe if you put a hole in the pocket , seen quite a few mates pull out the silly little things its painfull to watch all the little slashes & cuts to remove legs or skin animals cant stand them , as a plan B sure anything is better then nothing
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.

MSL
    Maybe your mates are strugglers?
    kiwijames and Boar Freak like this.

not when they have a longer blade in hand

for those that remember approx 4-5 duckshooting seasons back H&Fgave out a clone of the gerber gator folder clip point if you bought your license from them.a lot complained it was bloody cheap etc etc -well I beg to fucking differ .that knife was the best ive ever used to breast ducks geese etc and any other task I asked of it (Im the owner of 30+knives).
    next to my Vietnam camillus us pilots knife (bought in hokitika in 1975 and still in my collection-built like a razor twice as mean) i ranked it.
    alas one day half pissed dickhead i am -i hit the blade with hammer to cut off a set of canada legs and it snapped the blade.
    Id love to replace it!!that design is definitely in mytop3
    FYI-It has white ???camo scales on the handle.

H&f did a Gerber paragraph as a give away at one point... Used one but don't like the feel of the skeletonised handle

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  890.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  742.2 KB
    This was a freebie a while back with licence. Been lost and found a few times. Holds a resonible edge, but can be sharpened in the field easy enough

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    for those that remember approx 4-5 duckshooting seasons back H&Fgave out a clone of the gerber gator folder clip point if you bought your license from them.a lot complained it was bloody cheap etc etc -well I beg to fucking differ .that knife was the best ive ever used to breast ducks geese etc and any other task I asked of it (Im the owner of 30+knives).
    next to my Vietnam camillus us pilots knife (bought in hokitika in 1975 and still in my collection-built like a razor twice as mean) i ranked it.
    alas one day half pissed dickhead i am -i hit the blade with hammer to cut off a set of canada legs and it snapped the blade.
    Id love to replace it!!that design is definitely in mytop3
    FYI-It has white ???camo scales on the handle.
    Good knife... till it broke when cutting up bate

Quote Originally Posted by Manuka View Post
    Attachment 74189Attachment 74190
    This was a freebie a while back with licence. Been lost and found a few times. Holds a resonible edge, but can be sharpened in the field easy enough
    ive got one too,and its not a bad wee knife ,but the other-nup for bird dressing no comparison.

Am only using folders and I don't struggle or break blades pulling even a big stag apart (but learned it how to do it properly). My main knife is a Victorinox Forester the spare one is Opinel No7 Carbon.
    Still have a few fixed blades but only using them when killing cattle.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Great replies guys keep them coming.

I really like spyderco knives, and their use of VG10 is great but haven't seen one with a blade shape I like for hunting. I like a knife with plenty of belly. What models are you guys using?