Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Garmin InReach Mini or PLB

Buy a PLB for a PLB.
    Wear it on your belt, all the time, even when you get up to the long drop in the middle of the night.
    Even in your haziest, half concious mind its easy to activate.

An inreach PLB needs to be turned on, and select you confirm that, then you need to remove the PLB type button cover and press it.
    An inreach easily ends up in your pack and not easily accessed in an emergency

Tahr is correct, Garmin has released a new GPS / Inreach combined unit in USA based on the GPS60 format. You can import all your own maps etc compared to the shit inreach explorer model.
    It will only be a matter of time before it appears here.
    rugerman, Stocky and thatguy like this.

bit.ly/gpsmap66inz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thatguy likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

scottrods has summed it up well, plb are simple to use and no issues with a flat battery. inreach involves some level of training to use it and does need to be charged. inreach doesnt work if your plan isnt paid for wither.

if your out with a mate (or someone finds you) and its you thats hurt would you prefer plb with instructions on it so anyone can use or someone wasting time figureing out how to turn the inreach on and set it off.

suspect that the plb is a little more bashproof if kept in its zip up pouch (not testing this theory)
    Stocky and thatguy like this.

Thats all for you input, sorry for the late response. Ill probably keep looking and see what to go for. I simply liked the versatility of the inreach. Im not gonna sit there txting people in the bush or anything, would just nice to send a message if things don't go to plan but you don't quite need a rescue just yet.

I got stuck on a river raft at night once, when a run took longer than anticipated and although we weren't in need of rescue, it would have been great to just send a txt to the wife so she doesn't panic and send rescue, which they did. Luckily we made it out before they sent a chopper. We were absolutely fine and laughing our asses of as we were navigated the rapids with nothing but the light of the full moon, but thinking at the same time our family would be worried sick and if we could just tell them we are allgood and running late.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Buy a PLB for a PLB.
    Wear it on your belt, all the time, even when you get up to the long drop in the middle of the night.
    Even in your haziest, half concious mind its easy to activate.

An inreach PLB needs to be turned on, and select you confirm that, then you need to remove the PLB type button cover and press it.
    An inreach easily ends up in your pack and not easily accessed in an emergency

Tahr is correct, Garmin has released a new GPS / Inreach combined unit in USA based on the GPS60 format. You can import all your own maps etc compared to the shit inreach explorer model.
    It will only be a matter of time before it appears here.
    Liked your response and only saw it after i posted mine. You make some fair points there and sounds like the PLB offers that fool proof piece of mind. Might have to get both, but PLB would probably be first then.

I have both the plb and inreach mini and sure enjoy the peace of mind that they bring. I get a little annoyed at the payment plan options for the mini as i very rarely use it but when i do its great..

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Liked your response and only saw it after i posted mine. You make some fair points there and sounds like the PLB offers that fool proof piece of mind. Might have to get both, but PLB would probably be first then.
    bargain - get it

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3397834419530/