Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 2 Post By Moutere
  • 2 Post By Moutere
  • 2 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 2 Post By Happy Jack

Thread: Garmin Inreach Mini2

Garmin Inreach Mini2

Anyone considering buying one with current specials on? Now about same price as Inreach Messenger.

Have a dedicated PLB, thinking a messaging device be good to contact home or chopper if required. On the flipside only really need it for 1 month out of the year so bit of a toss up as to being worth the cost of the unit and annual contract.

Keen to hear from others in the same boat.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Soon nz should have 100% coverage which I think will make the inreach a bit redundant as long as you have a standard PLB.

The iPhone 15 has a PLB built in and I think the new galaxys coming will do too but those rely on having it charged so a standard PLB definitely worth keeping IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SpeightsDrinker View Post
    Soon nz should have 100% coverage ///////////////////////////// but those rely on having it charged so a standard PLB definitely worth keeping IMO

PLEASE dont be so fast to drink of the telcos coolaid
    it will be many years (if the achieve it at all)before there is anything even remotely (pun intended) like 100% coverage in this lovely country of ours.... hells bells they dont even have all of SH1 covered and thats our main national highway. there are many parts of other major arterial routes that have little or no coverage so what makes you think that there will be coverage down bottom of shiity gorgy creek between mountains??? and that is just the sort of place you will NEED your panic button device to work in.
    yes Im guilty of saying bugger the radio,there is phone reception over MOST of area we get most callouts in (peel forest) but have been shown error of my ways...and we only need to comunicate with each other not the RCC ,which is who you need to get in touch with in a SHTF situation.
    stick with the tried ,tested and proven, for now....give it a few years before relying on new teck to save your arse please.
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 09-03-2024 at 10:34 AM. Reason: quoted message got shrunk
    Lost n confused likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I certainly wouldnt be putting too much faith in any Telco being able to provide decent coverage, let alone good coverage, for the next few years. And then youre gonna have to mortgage your house and girlfreind just to pay for it. If you feel you need a PLB, carry one. If you want some coms with home, or a weather forecast, or to spin some BS with fellow hunters, or call a helicopter, then buy one of the Garmins, or a Zoleo. Both work great, weigh bugger all, and quite simply work.

And you dont have to have an annual contract, think both of them have contracts where you can opt in or out each month. And still a bloody sight cheaper than the proposed wonderful full country cell phone coverage.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybe View Post
    Anyone considering buying one with current specials on? Now about same price as Inreach Messenger.

Have a dedicated PLB, thinking a messaging device be good to contact home or chopper if required. On the flipside only really need it for 1 month out of the year so bit of a toss up as to being worth the cost of the unit and annual contract.

Keen to hear from others in the same boat.

They’re cheap because they are a becoming a redundant device in lieu of cellular satellite messaging and data/voice down the track.

The iPhone 15 has a PLB built in and I think the new galaxys coming
    Cell phones do not meet the criteria to be distress beacon (PLB).

They do not link directly into the Cospas-Sarsat system.
    They do not transmit 406 & VHF.
    They do not reserve battery for 24 hours minimum continuous operation.

An EPIRB in addition to the above must float and run for minimum 48 hours.
    An ELT in addition to the above must have a ‘G’ switch.
    Last edited by Moutere; 09-03-2024 at 11:33 AM.
    outdoorlad and Micky Duck like this.

I’d be amazed if the iridium system the Garmins use doesn’t go broke because of Starlink.
    Micky Duck and Ned like this.

The last sentence of my comment was “standard PLB worth keeping”

The last sentence of my comment was “standard PLB worth keeping”
    YES 100% it is.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Well I for one won't be giving Musk my money or Voda-one or what ever flavour name they are running now. I will always carry my PLB and its always in the car when we travel.
    Micky Duck and DemocKot like this.
    Happy Jack.

I've got an inreach explorer+ that il be selling soon of you want to get one cheap. You have a few options with the plans, pay monthly or casual where you set it up for the month you want to use it and stop the subscription so you're not paying to keep it in a box somewhere. Only selling because I'm upgrading to a garmin gps with inreach combined.

They won't be going redundant any time soon. And you're not relying on a single companies satellite system if shit happens, the messaging and sos will still get through.

Musk will keep you in contact with the world, even if NZ wants to keep you in the dark. Plus its four times as fast as our terrestrial modem. And on the slower non priority speeds (still twice as fast as our terrestrial) is cheaper.

We have it with us for our South Island trip, cause with health issues with overseas family its the only way to guarantee staying in touch, and knowing if we need to head to an airport....
    Sika 8 likes this.

I reckon PLB always - but i am keen to see how this starlink goes this / next year.... hopefully everyones phones turn into sat phones over night?

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Musk will keep you in contact with the world, even if NZ wants to keep you in the dark. Plus its four times as fast as our terrestrial modem. And on the slower non priority speeds (still twice as fast as our terrestrial) is cheaper.

We have it with us for our South Island trip, cause with health issues with overseas family its the only way to guarantee staying in touch, and knowing if we need to head to an airport....
    Until he has another Tanty and shuts it down. We use 4G internet when on the road and so far have not had any blank spots down here and went right around the SI back in November.

I hear you and in your situation I might have looked at it, but I hate to give money to misogynous clowns.
    Micky Duck and DemocKot like this.
    Happy Jack.