Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garmin RINO 650

Garmin RINO 650

Have a garmin 650 rino. Can not send my location or cannot poll or be polled or send messages. Can receive others updating their location and receive messages no problem. have tried searching online for this problem but all I can find is it relating to low battery with it is not and holds good charge

From memory the UHF needs to be switched on for most of that to work, you haven’t switched the radio off by chance? Don’t have my one any longer to check for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy.N View Post
    Have a garmin 650 rino. Can not send my location or cannot poll or be polled or send messages. Can receive others updating their location and receive messages no problem. have tried searching online for this problem but all I can find is it relating to low battery with it is not and holds good charge
    will drop my one in on friday and you can play with them side by side .....still not sure if its yours thats not sending or mine thats not receiving...... walkie talkie part was working....
    but my money is on the memory hungry map you have installed download and install mr purples

Have a dig through the settings and see what if anything isn't right. I have had these things go a little funky before and one thing with some of the Garmin stuff is they tend to not like grouping say all of the radio settings in the same place in the menu platters. It can be a bit of a skull crush until you work out which menu you need to start from to get to the setting you need. Sometimes the setting you want is greyed out as well - I had to do a software update on one of mine to correct a few unusual gremlins that resulted in this issue. I tried a reset to factory settings first and that didn't work so the 'update' to the same software version was the next step and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    will drop my one in on friday and you can play with them side by side .....still not sure if its yours thats not sending or mine thats not receiving...... walkie talkie part was working....
    but my money is on the memory hungry map you have installed download and install mr purples
    Is there a more recent update to the Mr Purple's maps? They are bloody good but from what I can see I have the most recent and thats getting a little long in the tooth...

dunno i have freshmap and the track we used to access our hunting area had been moved since by DOC so lucky a more newer map was handy on another device

as far as I can remember setting on both Scotty and mine are the same but I have see were Scott is when he polls or messages but he can not see me when I poll or receivemessages it will ever now and then update my location but not all the time its a very head scratching moment

Check CTSS, its been a while since I have used a 650, but on the 750 having CTSS on or off affects calling/recieving.
    Hopefully it should be right there in the radio screen.

From memory I think you need it on to call out, but you can still recieve with it off. When I get back to work on Monday I will be able to remind myself what the correct setting is for CTSS, I usually just keep adjusting it until it works.