Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Heads up for potential quilt buyers...

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Is the dame thing such a big issue now that there is water repellant down? You are very unlikely to get wet in a hammock so down all the way for me.
    Water repellent is better at resisting light moisture, but will still wet out, clump and lose loft and hence insulating capability. Modern synthetics won't lose loft when they wet out so will retain more insulating ability when wet.

I ground sleep under a tarp for the most part and have yet to have an issue with down

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Water repellent is better at resisting light moisture, but will still wet out, clump and lose loft and hence insulating capability. Modern synthetics won't lose loft when they wet out so will retain more insulating ability when wet.

I ground sleep under a tarp for the most part and have yet to have an issue with down
    On the other side of the argument I have spent a night in a wet synthetic sleeping bag and it wasn't that happy an experience. It was a "put on all my rain gear, lie in the wet tent and count down the hours until dawn" experience.

Down all the way for me. It's like being cuddled like a big mother goose.
    hotsoup and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    On the other side of the argument I have spent a night in a wet synthetic sleeping bag and it wasn't that happy an experience. It was a "put on all my rain gear, lie in the wet tent and count down the hours until dawn" experience.

Down all the way for me. It's like being cuddled like a big mother goose.
    Yeah absolutely man. Either way it ain't going good to be fun