Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: How do you Clean/Treat/Preserve your Swanndri (or similar) woolen kit?

How do you Clean/Treat/Preserve your Swanndri (or similar) woolen kit?

My pre-china manufactured Swannys are starting to show some wear and tear that I want to get on top of (in order to save on splashing out for a replacements in the near term). At present I'm just doing mild soapy warm water hand washes as needed.

How are you all maintaining your older/classic woolies to ensure long term use? is anyone adding any form of treatment to renew or refresh the wool?

put in washhouse like all other dirty garments and they magically appear folded up clean and smelling fresh along with all other cloths a few days later on end of bed....isnt that how everyone does it???
    once they get thread bare..they are buggered. the wee bits of wool fibre are gone for good. the less yo uwash them the longer they will last..... something in back of mind about using hair conditioner....to replump up tired wool or the jersey you shrunk with a hot wash...look it up and see what can find.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Been wondering this myself. I heard that if you wash them it washes out the lanolin.

Wash? That’s what rain is for. Seriously have only ever washed a swanni a couple of times by hand and then done a lanolin bath to keep them semi-waterproof. Back in the day used to through it in with wool fleeces to transfer some wool grease. Tend to think washing them just fks them.
    Moa Hunter, XR500 and useraccounts like this.

Once they become worn they are less than useless. Them, bullers, mercators', torches with a penny in them (oldies will understand), orange plastic bivvy bags and Trapper Nelsons' all belong at Tepapa.
    Micky Duck, Mathias, RV1 and 1 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

This might help https://www.swanndri.co.nz/clothing-care-guide

We use Earth Wise laundry liquid, obviously always cold wash and hang to air outside - need good airflow. Have found this is less abrasive than the more traditional laundry powder brands. We changed to this when my son was young and his skin was reacting badly to garments washed in the other stuff. Immediate change.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Once they become worn they are less than useless. Them, bullers, mercators', torches with a penny in them (oldies will understand), orange plastic bivvy bags and Trapper Nelsons' all belong at Tepapa.
    but...but....but...but....nah nevermind
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Mercators will always have a place!

Dont, wouldn't normally wash it, in most cases the blinking rain does it, if I have too its a cold water wash drip dried.
    Moa Hunter and woods223 like this.

Swanndies taught me to keep moving when i was wet.
    Bullers taught me that wet feet didn't matter.
    Mercators taught me how to sharpen a knife, and more importantly, keep it sharp.
    Torches with a penny in them taught me to embrace new technology.
    Orange plastic bivvy bags taught me to make a good camp with a tent fly.
    And Trapper Nelsons taught me to travel light, and harden the Fu#ck up when I shot a deer.
    Tahr, GSP HUNTER, zimmer and 11 others like this.

We need to clone @NIMROD and use those clones throughout our secondary schools as teachers, so we stand some chance of producing knowledgeable, resilient, productive members of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    but...but....but...but....nah nevermind
    Bullers Thar you heathen - bend over and beat yourself with an onga onga and akeake stick - how many hundreds of hunters and bushmen have worn those - best bush boot for North Island bush out bar none and Stewart Island--there is nothing on market to replace them- so those of us who still have them treasure them - so there
    Tahr, kristopher and Ranger 888 like this.

I must admit,,, Bullers were designed with Te Urewera & The Ruahines in mind
    And even now.... If I see a set of Buller prints on the track, I get worried. Because someone's in front of me that knows what they're doing

Name:  Dad-720p_Moment(6).jpg
Views: 247
Size:  178.7 KB

Our swanndri's fell apart on our backs. They were never washed and the more blood & deer hair on them, the bigger our egos.
    And if you rattled around in those packs, your find a Mercator, A torch with a penny in it, and an orange plastic bivvy bag
    Last edited by NIMROD; 25-07-2023 at 06:58 PM.
    Tahr, kristopher, Danny and 9 others like this.

Tahr....I suppose you don't wear a black woollen singlet either? Bloody heathen!
    Tahr and useraccounts like this.

I’m only 33 and wear skelurup hikers, 2 Mercators and a full green swandri. Also the mkm wool bush shirts. Only gave up my 303 to get something suppressed to save my ears.
    You don’t have to have kuiu…….
    XR500, NIMROD and Barry the hunter like this.