Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Infiray thermals

Infiray thermals

Does anyone on here own or has used an Infiray Finder FH 35R thermal spotter ? If so, what are the pros and cons of these units ?

Also, can anyone explain why the warranty on Infiray units in the US is 5 years, Australia 3 years, and in NZ only 2 years ?

Had mine about a year,great little unit.Does everything it says in manual.Views thru heavey rain n detects deer over a k+ away.Battery last just over 3 hrs.I have 3 batterys.Runs off power bank if needed.Good range finder,pnp,vid n camera.Good low base magnifation.This is my 4th monocular over the last 8 yrs and I reckn this is good value for the money.$4k.
    Some monoculars can be heavy,base magnifation too high.
    Last edited by Trout; 22-08-2023 at 08:11 AM.

3hrs for a battery is terrible

Everything is a trade off.
    I have the Fh25r. It fits my needs very well. Huge FOV, small and compact so that it will fit in the breast pocket of my shirt, has a very good 640x512 sensor, 12pm pitch with mk,40. The mk is interesting with some offerings being lower, but I find the lower mk, while defiantly showing more detail, at times its too much, making the target blend in more, the extra detail acts like it has a form of thermal camouflage. The fh25 has a target identification mode that seems to cut out the detail when engaged and shows a more stark heat signature . I find it far better for quick scanning.
    Can take stills, vid, apps the the phone, has a range finder thats consistently 700yd capable, a laser pointer( which can spook deer if you turn it on while trying to hit the range finder button )
    Internal battery life is ok but not great but then its a very small unit so Im happy with it.

Name:  fh25r.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  505.4 KB
    BRADS and Shearer like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    3hrs for a battery is terrible
    Its only a small battery,not a 600gram battery.Keeps the weight down.

Thanks for the replies, have you had any issues with these ? I like the specs of some of the Infiray products, but am a bit put off by these products only having 2 years warranty in NZ, when its 3 years if bought in Australia, and most other units
    such as Hikmicro, Pard, Pulsar, Sytong all have 3 years warranty here in NZ.

Iv had this and an Iray ch50 V2 clip on for a couple of years now. The clip is a brilliant bit of gear. Both trouble free to date. I did have some issues with my previous pulsar.

That battery life is a bit low and I think these units use proprietary batteries too making them more expensive. We ran the Sytong units continuously for around 6 hours on an 18650 that can be purchased at most electronics stores. Pard also take 18650s as another option. Agree with sneeze on the NETD although think sub 25-30 is the sweet spot. USA has longer warranty periods I think due to legal requirements. But any decent thermal brand should get 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Iv had this and an Iray ch50 V2 clip on for a couple of years now. The clip is a brilliant bit of gear. Both trouble free to date. I did have some issues with my previous pulsar.
    I have the same set up,the ch50 V2 certainly has the horse power thru rain,mist n fog and got the legs for distance.
    sneeze and scottrods like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I have the same set up,the ch50 V2 certainly has the horse power thru rain,mist n fog and got the legs for distance.
    The ability to swap it between rifles with same size objective is great. I use it on a 223 and a 243ai and itl go on a rimfire as well when I can find the right scope for it. Makes it a bit nose heavy though.

I only have one rifle(308),got a cheap nikko stirling 2x16x50 on it.Very wide fov for the thermal,easy to find yr deer.Having a 50mm objective lens works well with the ch50v2.No trouble tipping deer over out to 400yrds if need be

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Everything is a trade off.
    I have the Fh25r. It fits my needs very well. Huge FOV, small and compact so that it will fit in the breast pocket of my shirt, has a very good 640x512 sensor, 12pm pitch with mk,40. The mk is interesting with some offerings being lower, but I find the lower mk, while defiantly showing more detail, at times its too much, making the target blend in more, the extra detail acts like it has a form of thermal camouflage. The fh25 has a target identification mode that seems to cut out the detail when engaged and shows a more stark heat signature . I find it far better for quick scanning.
    Can take stills, vid, apps the the phone, has a range finder thats consistently 700yd capable, a laser pointer( which can spook deer if you turn it on while trying to hit the range finder button )
    Internal battery life is ok but not great but then its a very small unit so Im happy with it.

Attachment 231687
    I have the FH25R too and like it for the same reasons. Small and huge FOV.
    Trout likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I have an Eye II 50mm handheld and had no issues with it.
    They seem to provide good quality for the price.
    Trout likes this.

TLB
    I have used that model a fair bit.
    Image quality isn't bad. Battery life is terrible and batteries are ridiculously expensive for a standard battery with a plastic case on it.
    Rangefinder has started playing up also and it is out of warranty. Sent one of the other infirays back this year under warranty and it was gone for about 5 months.
    If it were me I would just get a sytong with the rangefinder, I'll upgrade one of our conotechs to a sytong when I get around to it.
    The image quality of the infirays doesn't warrant the price tag over the sytong.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    I have used that model a fair bit.
    Image quality isn't bad. Battery life is terrible and batteries are ridiculously expensive for a standard battery with a plastic case on it.
    Rangefinder has started playing up also and it is out of warranty. Sent one of the other infirays back this year under warranty and it was gone for about 5 months.
    If it were me I would just get a sytong with the rangefinder, I'll upgrade one of our conotechs to a sytong when I get around to it.
    The image quality of the infirays doesn't warrant the price tag over the sytong.
    Sweeping generalizations like this arent particularly helpfull without some model comparrisions. Which ones have you compared?
    Tahr and scottrods like this.