Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 17 Post By ElDax
  • 1 Post By TimC
  • 2 Post By Snoppernator
  • 1 Post By ElDax
  • 1 Post By 199p

Thread: Javelin/Backlanz/Mtn gear bipod review

Javelin/Backlanz/Mtn gear bipod review

Just thought I would make a bit of a write up/ review on the Javelin, Backlanz and Mtn gear bipods having used all 3, some pros and cons for anyone interested.

The Javelin bipod
    pros: Technically it's the fastest to deploy, very simple to use, no alterations required to mount the adapter while also having the option to permanently mount one into the stock, ability to use a tripod with the same mount if desired.

Cons: Of the 3 mentioned this is the only one you cannot keep mounted to the rifle so while technically the fastest to deploy, you can't be faster than already mounted. Being magnet based there is the possibility of interference with navigation equipment. Least amount of adjust ability of the 3 being limited to making the legs longer and locking the pan function by swapping it around.

The Javelin was my least favorite of the 3 for my application and use.

Adjust ability 2/5 durability 4/5 stability 4/5 speed of deployment 5/5

The Backlanz bipod

Pros:Of the 3 the Backlanz is the most solidly constructed in both design and materials used. You can store the bipod on the rifle and thanks to its light weight design you don't really notice its there. The leg forward/backward adjustment is superior to the Mtn gear bipod just based on how it feels but not necessarily in function, in this case steel locking pins on printed titanium. It also doesn't require any modification to fit the adapter although there is no permanent option.

Cons: The ball joint attachment while innovative introduces too much slop for my liking and doesn't give me enough confidence to keep it attached if I was pushing through thick bush. The locking ring for the legs is not attached to the lower limb of the leg meaning one handed fine adjustment of leg length isn't possible, while not an issue for the notched model it is an overlooked design flaw imo.

It was close between the Backlanz and Mtn gear bipods for me but ultimately the Backlanz came second.

Adjust ability 4/5 durability 5/5 stability 3/5 speed of deployment 3/5

The Mtn gear bipod

Pros:Easily the king of adjustment it wasn't even close in this regard. Picatinny rail attachment is the most versatile of the 3 while also being the most solid option with the installation being fairly simple, however this could be seen as both a positive or a negative. Personally I am a convert. Unlike the Backlanz the locking ring for the legs is on the lower limb making one handed adjustment possible. Full solid range of motion is there between rifle cant, panning and the ability to spread the legs to get down low.

Cons:Mentioned earlier you will need to fit a pic rail to use it. Unlike the other 2 it doesn't have a rubber foot covering available. I imagine this is to reduce weight but the option would be nice. There is a lot more going on here than the other 2 so it's possible it may not be as durable, when deploying the legs you do need to make sure to fully depress the leg lock button as the body the locking pins engage with is aluminium, probably a non issue but worth mentioning and likely unavoidable due to how difficult it would be to machine that part from titanium.

Adjust ability 5/5 durability 3/5 stability 5/5 speed of deployment 4/5

Overall I think each bipod has its niche and use cases. As for some feedback and reflections I could see Backlanz giving the Mtn gear more of a run for it's money if it wasn't trying to do so much while sacrificing some qualities as a result. I would happily trade the pan feature for more stability and it would be nice to have a more permanent option for mounting. As for the Mtn gear bipod I think the one fair criticism I could make is the lack of rubber feet as an option, otherwise it is evident everything has been well thought out and in order for the functionality it has compromises must be made in terms of materials used. It's possible I was a bit harsh on the Javelin bipod but I think that stems from the fact, if the only option I have is to pull it out of my backpack I would rather just use the backpack itself with the inability to keep it mounted on the rifle being a deal breaker for me.
    timber, 199p, 7mmwsm and 14 others like this.

Brilliant review. Your hard earned spent and time taken writing that review will be much appreciated to those looking into the high end light weight bipod market. Cheers for sharing.
    ElDax likes this.

That's awesome. As mentioned in another Thread I ran the Spartan Javelin TAC but replaced with the the MTN Gear Mountain Bipod. The only differing opinion I'd offer to the above, and it's something I do notice hunters talk about, is leaving this type of bipod mounted on a rifle all the time. This is not the purpose of these bipods. They are designed to be quickly attached. Your right, the Spartan just clicks in then you "spread the legs". The MTN takes a few more seconds. But, ultimately you are using these to shoot game at longer distances, so I'm often putting it in the top of the backpack, then taking out when required. I would not carry any of these bipods (given their weight and size) externally fitted. That would be a "tears moment" having one come off while going through scrub. The MTN Bipod is insanely light at 140g and what a range of movement and height (higher than the equivalent Spartan) and Kiwi made. Your right about the plastic foot on the MTN, but only found this an issue at the range - just use a rubber matt when shooting from a smooth wooden bench, allows you to load up.
    SikaHuntaa and RV1 like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    That's awesome. As mentioned in another Thread I ran the Spartan Javelin TAC but replaced with the the MTN Gear Mountain Bipod. The only differing opinion I'd offer to the above, and it's something I do notice hunters talk about, is leaving this type of bipod mounted on a rifle all the time. This is not the purpose of these bipods. They are designed to be quickly attached. Your right, the Spartan just clicks in then you "spread the legs". The MTN takes a few more seconds. But, ultimately you are using these to shoot game at longer distances, so I'm often putting it in the top of the backpack, then taking out when required. I would not carry any of these bipods (given their weight and size) externally fitted. That would be a "tears moment" having one come off while going through scrub. The MTN Bipod is insanely light at 140g and what a range of movement and height (higher than the equivalent Spartan) and Kiwi made. Your right about the plastic foot on the MTN, but only found this an issue at the range - just use a rubber matt when shooting from a smooth wooden bench, allows you to load up.
    I think it's more about having the option available and choosing what is right for the situation regarding having the bipod mounted or in your backpack, but yes in many situations having the bipod stowed away is the best option- I just prefer it not be the only option. I had similar thoughts regarding using some kind of mat at the range, I think I have an old bar mat somewhere I might give a go haha.
    Snoppernator likes this.

I have the backlandz and keep mine attached most of the time.
    have walked many km in bush,on tracks, slips, rivers and tops haven't lost it or had it come loose but i can see why people would worry about it just found its attachment to be solid.
    you do have to squeeze it in when attaching to make sure its fully locked in.
    It can be a pain when you're already lying prone well, it is for my girly hands anyway. but far better then losing it.
    ElDax likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"