Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: JHarriss Knives

Name:  IMG_4936.PNG
Views: 365
Size:  111.5 KBName:  IMG_4936.PNG
Views: 365
Size:  111.5 KB
    Dundee likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Hattori makes high end damascus hunting knives with Cowry X as the core, and VG10 as the damascus layers. VG10 is a high end true stainless steel, Cowry X is an ultra high end stain resistant steel. Small knives (100mm blade, 200mm overall, simple profile) are around $600 USD, large knives (130mm blade, 260mm overall, complex profile) goes up to $3,500 USD. see Hattori Hana

Attachment 59761

Rockstead makes ATS 34 (similar to VG10) cladding with ZDP-189 core (similar to Cowry X), but no damascus look. they are around $3,200 to $3,600 USD. See Rockstead Un

Attachment 59760

These are as high end as they come.

However, you can get damascus Hitachi White Steel (tough, high purity carbon steel, non-stainless) knives for as low as $150 USD. Still very high quality steel, but much lower price.

Attachment 59762

Only issue is that they are not made in New Zealand.
    How many of those high end knives have you tested? In my limited experience, expensive does not mean high end
    Tahr likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    How many of those high end knives have you tested? In my limited experience, expensive does not mean high end
    I am a nobody, even if I did test a 3000 USD Hattori and Rockstead, you still should not just trust my subjective opinion if you were interested in these knives. You should read more reputable reviews yourself.

Expensive does not mean high end, but high end means high end.

Hattori is one of the most famous japanese smith currently still alive. Check out the demand for his KD series kitchen knives. CowryX is one of the highest grade knife steel in the moment, 3% carbon, 66~68 HRC. I have used a low end Hattori VG10 kitchen knife, it has extremely good edge and very high standard fit and finish.

Rockstead is THE most famous japanese hunting knife brand right now, all they do is hunting knives. there are youtube videos low end rockstead folder knife cutting through a phone book, and cutting thick rope 1000 times and still able to slice paper.

If money was no object for me, I would buy a Hana and Un before buying a Purdey

Well as we see Mandy is understandably otherwise disposed.

So I checked Shelley and have this little ripper heading my way, courtesy of my wife for my BDay.

Name:  Shelley Big Hunter 2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  480.8 KB

Still has some finishing to be done, wasn't what I was looking for but I see some options/gap that can be filled...lol

PM Shelley if you're looking, she has sent me plenty of photos and has some nice knives ready or nearing completion.

I also have an ol' mate in Tauranga who has made me a knife or 2 that has some available, he's going to send me some photos..

Here are some he's made, I own Photo 1 the bottom 3 in Photo 2...lol yes I'm a bit of a magpie.

Name:  New Knife by Jon.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  631.2 KB
    Name:  New Knives by Jon.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  421.5 KB

Love this country and all the little crafts people we have tucked away...
    Tahr, Dundee and Shahin like this.

Damn this thread.... I thought I had some nice knives now I'm embarrassed to show them! Really don't need anymore but..... But...

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Damn this thread.... I thought I had some nice knives now I'm embarrassed to show them! Really don't need anymore but..... But...
    You can never have too many knives, rifles, fishing rods... A generalisation I know but my wife has more shoe's and handbags than I can point a stick at...I always find it a good point for comparison, she can't argue...lol
    Shahin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    Well as we see Mandy is understandably otherwise disposed.

So I checked Shelley and have this little ripper heading my way, courtesy of my wife for my BDay.

Attachment 59823
    I was looking at grabbing that knife off Shelley, ended up with its brother instead. Shelley showed me a small knife that was still 'under construction' so that came along too, once it was finished, for my young boy to earn at Christmas time.
    I'm very happy with both knifes, Mine just needs a little work to the handle to get a better fit to my hand

Name:  2knifes.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  981.3 KB
    Double Shot likes this.

Still have not heard from her???

Hi...finally seen her message about the baby....will have to look elsewhere... cheers
    Dundee likes this.