Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By hunt08
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By BMcB
  • 2 Post By Sika 8

Thread: Kids sleeping bags

Kids sleeping bags

G day all, looking for abit of advice regarding kids sleeping bags
    Have two girls, 11 and 12 and have got to the stage of out growing their old synthetic bags so looking at options for their upcoming birthdays.
    Down or synthetic ?
    How warm ?
    Price ?
    Im of the opinion to buy them a good down bag that'll see them right for the next 20 years or so regardless of what they get into ?, she who must be obeyed is not sold on it leaning more towards synthetic one.
    We dont do any alpine stuff it'd be more camping in huts, tents, horse trekking, the odd over night hunt.
    Has anyone had one made by WOE ?
    Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by mace08 View Post
    G day all, looking for abit of advice regarding kids sleeping bags
    Have two girls, 11 and 12 and have got to the stage of out growing their old synthetic bags so looking at options for their upcoming birthdays.
    Down or synthetic ?
    How warm ?
    Price ?
    Im of the opinion to buy them a good down bag that'll see them right for the next 20 years or so regardless of what they get into ?, she who must be obeyed is not sold on it leaning more towards synthetic one.
    We dont do any alpine stuff it'd be more camping in huts, tents, horse trekking, the odd over night hunt.
    Has anyone had one made by WOE ?
    Thanks very much
    I would be inclined to go synthetic -Down bags are great but need more care - they must be stored correctly i.e not in their scrunch bags - better left unfolded on say a spare bed - aired regularly and are hard to clean and the good ones are expensive - any bag can be improved by using a light polar fleece blanket with it
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

buy them each a good quality bag ,trademe has some really good priced options new.
    now how to sell that to the good wife... simple...if away at concert etc,only one person fits in a sleeping bag!!!
    a flat rather than mummy shape can be opened out as duvey on bed when they leave home to go flatting.... they will always have it if its a good quality bag...
    RV1 and Barry the hunter like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

We bought our kids a domex down sleeping bag ( round -5 comfit) when they 1&2 use to just fold it up & put the rest underneath them they still got them today & they 14&13 it pack reasonable small and it's not bad for weight the way I look at it with taking kids as if you have lightweight stuff they should have similar product maybe I've lesser quality and we've done a lot of hunting and camping with our kids just done the southern circuit round Ruapehu between Christmas and New year & that was five nights tramping with all our gear & they carried everything for themselves food spear clothes & camping gear.
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

If you need something easy in the meantime, I have had a couple fo kids sleeping bags on trademe for a while. New, and only opened to take the photos...They came with a small cheap tent and a couple of 15l daybags. I got enough mileage from the daybags to justify what I paid for them at Smiths city on clearance. In the meantime the bags have just sat here......

They aould almost fit an adult......and you could still look for really good ones in the meantime....

Have a look...
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...0?bof=op6JPqzj

Make an offer if you are interested....We are in your neck of the woods..so I could almost get them delivered........
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

If you're on Facebook this page might be worth a search through.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4624...ibextid=eDJezf

I had the same thing with my boys a couple of years ago. Wanted to get them a sleeping bag they could take with them when they leave home. Opted for a couple of Kathmandu Icarus hybrid bags. Down on top, synthetic on base. Felt it was a good compromise of pack weight/size, cost, warmth and robustness.
    -5c comfort rating. At Labour Weekend we were tenting and had to boil our socks in the morning to defrost them. Kids were warm enough with little clothing on in their bags.
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcB View Post
    I had the same thing with my boys a couple of years ago. Wanted to get them a sleeping bag they could take with them when they leave home. Opted for a couple of Kathmandu Icarus hybrid bags. Down on top, synthetic on base. Felt it was a good compromise of pack weight/size, cost, warmth and robustness.
    -5c comfort rating. At Labour Weekend we were tenting and had to boil our socks in the morning to defrost them. Kids were warm enough with little clothing on in their bags.
    Didn't know that made bags like that that sounds like a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    Didn't know that made bags like that that sounds like a great idea
    We have similar, but with a -10 or so rating. The synthetic in the bottom stays warm even when damp. The trade-off though is increased pack weight and size means I have to carry more of their stuff!

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

4 season Down.

It's hard to keep kids interested in the outdoors if they are cold at night, i got my eldest daughter (10) the best gear i could to make it as comfortable as possible for her, sleeping bag, boots, pack, clothing etc....

If they have a bad experience they won't want to tag along again.
    erniec and Eat Meater like this.