Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Jus
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 3 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Knife choice

Knife choice

I've got a bunch of skinning knives from my father in law's meatworks days but I think I need a more general purpose folding knife. I've got my eye on a Spika Challenger with guthook (Aus 8 steel) which would do the trick, but I don't think I can justify getting it to the minister of finance.
    The alternative is a plain folding knife in 440C steel which would hold a less keen edge, but for longer. It's half the price, and will likely hold its edge better, but I won't be able to get it as sharp.

The question is, is the gut hook worth the extra money? Should I just take a steel and use the skinning knife for everything?

Thoughts appreciated

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Gone but not forgotten
    I like the guthook, mainly for doing the skinning cuts (which is what they were invented for).
    I got one of these while back, it works well. https://www.guncity.com/allen-drop-p...ouflage-381170
    Though I see you can get the Spika Challenger for a similar price here: https://55six.co.nz/product/spika-challenger-gut-hook/
    Eat Meater likes this.

you DONT NEED a fancy pants knife...a $15 bacho will do anything you ever need done.....but if n when the funds allow,go and make your own knife at one of the courses that cater for it... in my mind its $400 well spent on something personal.
    gerber gator is a good folder for hunting. I dont need a gut hook as have a pair of saturday night fingers on my left hand.
    RV1 and Barry the hunter like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

buck folder with guthook.

Jus
    I have a Fallkniven which I use for hunting, I can only justify it because I have no kids or mrs and I hunt almost every weekend. I love my toys and gear so I spend good money on it. It’s good steel that barley needs sharpening from animal to animal. You don’t need a gut hook, if you skin a lot of animals then it may come in handy. I bone out meat in the field and the gut hook would have little use for me

Honey Badger.
    meateater likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you DONT NEED a fancy pants knife...a $15 bacho will do anything you ever need done.....but if n when the funds allow,go and make your own knife at one of the courses that cater for it... in my mind its $400 well spent on something personal.
    gerber gator is a good folder for hunting. I dont need a gut hook as have a pair of saturday night fingers on my left hand.
    yup agree with Micky Duck - gut hooks waste of time - try sharpening the gut hook - pain in arse -and they can block with hair

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    I've got a bunch of skinning knives from my father in law's meatworks days but I think I need a more general purpose folding knife. I've got my eye on a Spika Challenger with guthook (Aus 8 steel) which would do the trick, but I don't think I can justify getting it to the minister of finance.
    The alternative is a plain folding knife in 440C steel which would hold a less keen edge, but for longer. It's half the price, and will likely hold its edge better, but I won't be able to get it as sharp.

The question is, is the gut hook worth the extra money? Should I just take a steel and use the skinning knife for everything?

Thoughts appreciated

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    Get the 440c knife (assuming it's a decent treatment of 440c) it will last a bit longer edge wise.

Don't worry about the ultimate sharpness capability, you won't ever reach this level of edge with standard sharpening, at a practical outdoor finish of 400-1000 grit the difference in sharpness between the 2 steels will be negligible.

If you can swing a couple more pennies the honey badger and civivi knives offer great value with excellent steel choices for folders
    Eat Meater likes this.