Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Knife needed....

MSL
    You would love the one above then

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Just to throw more problems the mix I'm a southpaw so a reversible sheath would be nice instead of tangling myself in knots trying to get to the damn thing!
    Or send it to me for a custom left knife sheath

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

For an every day carry that punches well above its weight, I would recommend the Bark River Woodland Special in S35VN steel. I have one with sambar horn handle and it is an absolute honey of a knife. Blade is 3" long and 4.25mm thick, convex ground. Holds an edge really well and I have used for everything including skinning deer to good effect. Its a bit small to bone with but gets the job done if needed, fine on goat size animals. Its small but fits the hand really well. Stout blade thickness makes it extremely strong, at the sacrifice of 'thin slicing' capability [ie there are better options if you want to slice a tomato or peel an apple]
    Just did a search on the net, and they are actually hard to find in S35VN so they are popular as most seem to have sold out.

Name:  bark-river-woodland-special-fixed-blade-knife-bocote-wood-11.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  24.6 KB

Bark River Woodland Special Knife - S35VN Steel - 01-134M-BC
    Bark River Woodland Special Fixed Blade Knife - Bocote Wood Wholesale For Sale - Bark River Knives
    scottrods likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Saw that but would be a prick being left handed

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Or send it to me for a custom left knife sheath

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Could be an option but for a edc knife I don't want to spend (too) much.... Have too many knives as is 'apparantly'

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    You will break a fixed blade just as easily I would say. I carry a Spiderco Delica as an EDC and it hasn't failed yet. Esse do a great little liner lock folder in the Zanduco that is cheap as chips and strong.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I do like the Esee knives, how fiddly is the liner lock? Missus has problems with some folders

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I do like the Esee knives, how fiddly is the liner lock? Missus has problems with some folders
    No big deal. Liner locks are much the same. I think you may find one on Trademe. I got mine from the US with another order. They were so cheap I should have bought a dozen. Lost it now. Disappointed as it was a good knife.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Went for the Esee zancudo have their 4inch and have thrashed it, firewood splitting to cutting cheese and butchering. Got a very 'blunt' edge on it and haven't had to touch it too uch. Thanks for all the ideas and offers guys

I assume you looked at the esee candiru ? I think it has a two inch blade. Problem with small fixed blades is that they can look a little weird if you try and put a decent handle on them.
    If you put a tiny handle on to match the blade then it just gets hard to hold and do hard work, in which case a folder becomes a better option.

My EDC is always a folder.
    Most days its a Swiss Army cadet. Sometimes its the pioneer X.
    Sometimes its one of a bunch of others.

Name:  20160422_190403.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  287.3 KB
    Name:  20160422_190359.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  840.7 KB
    Name:  20160422_190356.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  841.3 KB

I see you have a decent collection there Scott!

Shelly I have a crkt folts minimalist, that is an awesome little fixed blade, problem with it is you need two hands to get it out of its sheath andmi'm not a fan of kydex

Hey 223nut, I a, just finishing off a little drop point fixed blade knife at the moment, the blade is a whisper over two inches, overall it's the same whisper over six inches, 3mm thick O1 tool steel tempered and double heat treated to 59 C Rockwell, micarta handles with brass and stainless loveless bolt and a wrist thong, can do a leather left hand sheath.
    Just a test piece for me as I am trying out a self built 2 x 72 inch belt sander I have just made, it's not the most beautiful knife in the world and probably won't be finished until next week, I can send you some pics if you are interested, it's definitely stout and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Hey 223nut, I a, just finishing off a little drop point fixed blade knife at the moment, the blade is a whisper over two inches, overall it's the same whisper over six inches, 3mm thick O1 tool steel tempered and double heat treated to 59 C Rockwell, micarta handles with brass and stainless loveless bolt and a wrist thong, can do a leather left hand sheath.
    Just a test piece for me as I am trying out a self built 2 x 72 inch belt sander I have just made, it's not the most beautiful knife in the world and probably won't be finished until next week, I can send you some pics if you are interested, it's definitely stout and strong.
    I got impatient and brought a solid folder.... Always seems to be the way!