Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Stag
  • 1 Post By Jus
  • 2 Post By Love_ducks
  • 1 Post By Bert 71
  • 1 Post By Bol Tackshin
  • 1 Post By cambo

Thread: Light weight tripods

Light weight tripods

Hi all, looking for a new lightweight tripod for my spotting scope. currently have the Vortex Summit Carbon 2 but wanting something a lot lighter, my spotter is 2kg so need to be able to handle the weight. just wondering what's out there.

Cheers

Few guys here use Ali express extremely light weight setups. I have found them to be too unstable with a bit of wind.

I use a Benro Bat, think it’s the 0 model. Quite like it and love the stability to weight ratio.
    Camking likes this.

Cheers ill have a look into it

Jus
    With a 2kg scope you’ll struggle to find a tripod sub 1kg that would be stable underneath a scope that heavy I’d imagine? Perhaps some thing short and squat with a wide foot angle… the black lanz tripod looks the bizo, but not for the price. I have a 700gram manfrotto tripod, but my scope only weighs 450 grams
    Camking likes this.

Take a look at aziak equipment in the the states, after recommendations a mate just got one and loves his, bloody light weight and versatile and a lot cheaper than most. Cost him just over $400 NZ to his door with the ball head adapter for his swaro.
    SikaHuntaa and Camking like this.

Sirui AM225 and B-00K ball head, tripod 1020g, ball head 360g, 12kg capacity, nice an compact, supports a Leupold
    SX2 spotter with no problem, $317 from Photogear, even cheaper when they have it on special.
    Camking likes this.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZOquQ
    A 700g tripod and ball head rated to 7kg. However, I'd sooner not use the thinnest leg sections in the interest of stability, and the ball head is inferior to your pan tilt head. Personally, I'd keep the Vortex that you have. At 1134g for tripod amd head, you are going to be hard pressed to match the performance with the same stability and price. Photographers say that you should always get the heaviest tripod your assistant can carry... and, lightweight, cheap and stable - you can only choose two of those characteristics.
    Stag likes this.

@blair993 at Section22 does a very nice tripod setup.
    blair993 likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Aziak Equipment everyday of the week- bloody top piece of kit- maybe look at getting the Tricer LP Pan Head on top but the Aziak Ball Head does work well- just struggles a bit with bit heavy spotters

I have a Leupold carbon fibre tripod but it’s bulky and heavier than my Aliexpress carbon fibre less bulkier tripod.

I prefer the Aliexpress tripod for size and weight, it handles the Swarovski spotter no issues.

When using either tripod I don’t use the tripods fully extended as both are equally effected by wind