Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By yerimaginaryM8
  • 1 Post By craigc

Thread: Liquid fuel burners

Liquid fuel burners

Hi all,

Has anyone tried any alternatives to the MSR liquid fuel burners? Keen to get some feedback on some other options out there. The MSR range are tried and true, but would have thought someone would have put something else on the market that performs similar but without the branding ie a clone.

Not that I can talk seeing as I’m currently running a Jetboil.

Cheers in advance.

If trying to save a few $ I would still go with MSR but go 2nd hand. The thing about msr is you can get spare parts kits to replace plunger washers, orings etc, these parts kits are expensive to buy here but cheaper online. Even if you bust the entire plunger shaft new pump heads are available. Mine is over 20 years old I have had it apart a few times to replace parts but it still goes as good as they day I got it. You can buy white spirit in bulk 20L containers too. Only downside is (at least the early ones) do not have much heat control, and they stink in confined spaces after you turn them off, I just toss mine outside as soon as I am finished with it.
    rugerman likes this.

I’ve had four or five MSR liquid fuel cookers, they’re the best by far, and there are a few other brands; but they’re just not as good. Like stated above, there’s always a few on Trademe, but if you want more control go for the Dragonfly, I’ve just changed over to one and it’s got so much more control than the Simmerlite (which doesn’t really simmer!).
    The Dragonfly is a bit heavier and expensive but is worth it, especially if you like bacon and eggs for breakfast, if you just want to boil water any of the other models are ok.
    Other brands are Primus and Soto.
    rugerman likes this.

Hi
    I have a primus gravity that will run on white spirits, kerosene, petrol, or a gas cylinder. Just have to change the jets which is easy to do with the tool that comes with the cooker and fits into the lightweight carry bag. I have had mine for about ten years with no issues at all. Easy to get a parts kits from the local importer if needed, and they work well with good control from simmer to blast. I have two bottles a large for extended trips and a small 330 ml for shorter 1-2 day trips, and they are easy to light, but don't light inside a tent! I think the MSR, Primus, Optimus are all good brands that have stood the test of time. I like the flexibility of changing fuels easily in the outdoors.
    Regards
    Ruger

Cheers, guys all good info. I'm in no rush but I'll keep my eye on the forum and the Yellow site.