Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Maxtoch

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by moonhunt View Post
    I know what you mean, its pea soup here now, I wanted to go out and spot a pig tonight
    Hopefully have a good night on Monday for a play. We have a couple grass thieves that need tidying up.
    moonhunt likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Do we need a Rabbi to de-dome?
    I can't find any Rabbi's round here, think we shot too many of them.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Ya just drop the pill in some petrol to de-dome, yeah?
    I do them a little differently. Pop the Aluminium LED circuit board out and put the soldering iron gas torch to the back till it softens the solder underneath the LED. Then I press down on the dome with a small screwdriver till it sets again, this makes the solder layer thinner for better heat transfer to the aluminium and lifts the edges of the dome. Next, while the dome is still soft, I give the edge of the dome a wee flick with the screwdriver from the edge opposite the gold wires inside the dome and it literally just pops off incredibly cleanly. Takes about 2 minutes.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I do them a little differently. Pop the Aluminium LED circuit board out and put the soldering iron gas torch to the back till it softens the solder underneath the LED. Then I press down on the dome with a small screwdriver till it sets again, this makes the solder layer thinner for better heat transfer to the aluminium and lifts the edges of the dome. Next, while the dome is still soft, I give the edge of the dome a wee flick with the screwdriver from the edge opposite the gold wires inside the dome and it literally just pops off incredibly cleanly. Takes about 2 minutes.
    How very strange and unusual. Kiwi's using ingenuity to improve on design. Ha ha ha ha
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The 2s and the 2x are bloody good lights alright ,,,,have de domed both and put copper boards in both impressive results ,,hid spotty pretty much redundant now
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrash View Post
    The 2s and the 2x are bloody good lights alright ,,,,have de domed both and put copper boards in both impressive results ,,hid spotty pretty much redundant now
    How much are the copper boards?
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    How are you guys getting on finding batteries?
    Had some coming from Fasttech but they got sent back because of the postage drama.
    Now got some coming from The Gadget Guys via TM. Six Panasonics for $99.50 delivered. Which isn't that much behind Fastechs price.
    I got a couple off this guy 11.50 each after reading the warning on the fasttech site

Trade Me - Listings from karlnapf

Panasonics that was, he has some cheep ones too, like 4 bucks
    Last edited by moonhunt; 05-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    OPCz

R93
    All but one of my torches.
    The new x-search is by far the gruntiest. Even on one batt it, drowns out the new maxtoch.
    I will compare them a bit better when I get the chance. Dunno what pill is in the degreelight but it completely blots out the maxtoch.
    Using the extension and another batt it seems even more intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the battery life like? Is there a way of hooking it up the motorbike?
    VIVA LA HOWA

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats the battery life like? Is there a way of hooking it up the motorbike?
    Batts get around 2 and a bit hrs on my older torches. Have not run the new one down yet.
    You got me scratching my head on the motorbike question.

Gadetman, could you wire somthing up?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Ejected
    Voltage and current regulator in the line and it would work.

There are heaps that can be hooked up to a bike, but what do you want to do with it. Replace headlights or have as a moveable spotlight?

I'm looking at a couple of these for the quad

10W 950lm Cree XML-T6 White LED 30 Degrees Spot Beam Round Work Light (10~30V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

10W Cree XM-L LED 30 Degrees Spot Beam Work Light Square Offroad / Daytime Running Lamp (10~30V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

There are heaps of others. Other that that you could adapt a torch easily enough.

Got 4 new sn6x-2x's here yesterday.

Just about ready to mod them, finding a new house is tough. Finding batteries is harder.

Stock it's about 96k lux. Manual Man and heaps of guys in the states are getting them to just under 300k lux but I'm reasonably confident I can get it over 500k. Most torches I work to a factor of about 6, if I cant get it 6x brighter I'm doing something wrong or sometimes its just too good to begin with

The BTU shocker is real good too, I have 2 of them, one stock, one over 500k lux. Only problem is they have a huge amount of spill that is hugely bright and it just makes any humidity so hard to see through. It also weighs 1.2 kg with no batteries in it. The one I have cost over $300 to build but honestly the sn6x-2s is better for throwing in the backpack if you live where there is any humidity. Its still pretty heavy and there are better options too, but depends on your use.

Gadgetman, do you have any r100 SMD's lying around? Fasttech has pissed me round and never delivered anything I ordered in the last 6 months. Might have to start stripping lights for parts.

Dave, that dreelight is awesome, its an XML2 driven at 2.8 amps. about 150k lux. I drive XML2's past 9 amps in some lights. at 5 amps it is super reliable. If you like I can de dome that puppy, try boost the drive current, mod everything to reduce resistance and I bet I can net 600k+ lux from it. I can at least have a look see if it's doable. Wont be too usable until at least sorta 300m though, even with the nice tint everything will look white.

Oh and Willis if your reading this Im gonna come get my panasonics off you next week haha.

Chris

R93
    Thanks for the offer. It is as bright as I will ever need but you are welcome to improve the maxtoch. I am cagey on the de-doming thing for now at least. I de-domed my degreelight nighteater by accident and it didn't make much difference other than the colour of the lite, to my eye at least.