Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need new wheels

Need new wheels

It's a pain in the arse and money I don't want to spend but very soon I'm going to need some. Was considering Mickey Thompsons or BFGoodrich all terrains but then thought well if MAXXIS AT-980 can do the same a bit cheaper I might go them.
    What are peoples thoughts?

BH

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    OK Jack that just went way the hell over my head. Wheels is wheels man what the hell are you talking about?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Cooper Discoverer STT for you cobber. You need their superior anti chipping properties on your tracks.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

tyres sorry rushy!

I considered the Coopers but I've heard a few negative things about em. The old mans run em for years and never had a problem though I spose. Weren't Coopers recently sold out to India or Thailand or something like that though?

Maxxis are made in Thailand as well

Don't worry where it is made ... it is how it is made that is important....

BF Goodrich are great tyres but f**k me they are pricey... you could probably have 2 full sets of Maxxis for one set of BFG. I know nothing on the coopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    Maxxis are made in Thailand as well

Don't worry where it is made ... it is how it is made that is important....

BF Goodrich are great tyres but f**k me they are pricey... you could probably have 2 full sets of Maxxis for one set of BFG. I know nothing on the coopers.
    I know that I just meant for the price difference, yeh I've got mates running bfgoodies and they love em. At this stage its a money thing, paying off my rifle, saving for a pup and trying to start saving for NZ next year. I'd wait but the tyres are almost bald. Still got probably another 5,000kms left though

I got maxxis 764 m/t, road noise and handling is good and supposed to get 80 k out of them. They are alot more aggressive than i thought they would be but i wouldn't go back to a/t. Probably $420 nz fitted but i got mates rates

I think its the Hercules brand that is made by Cooper. Basically same properties but cheaper.

Mate

Go the BF Goodrich A/T 's ( not the Mud ones with the lugs that come down the sidewall )
    They are the hardest wearing best value tyre around at the moment .
    I own 5 Toyotas for work and they average 55 - 60 K a year , Hi way , dirt , stone , rock .
    In the dry season I run cheap new original skinnies that I buy from the lease companies ( I buy them brand new on original Toyota rims for $115 ) , believe it or not they are very good tyres and are very resistant to stakes because of their tread patterns . If we get a puncture we can't put a plug into and pump up still on the vehicle we just change the wheel and throw the old one away .
    As soon as it starts to get wet we change everything over to the BF's .
    I have tried most brands and quite honestly the quality seems to come and go no matter what brand your talking about .
    I had some very good Coopers about 4-5 years ago , but then had a bad run with them , and swore I'd never buy another one .
    My advice try the BF's at the moment while their quality seems good .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

im on the coopers camp
    love my ST's

deal with them all at work, maxxis are better price but they are nowhere near as tuff as bfs and coopers

BFG,while I have always run the muds(really an at to my mind) the AT is brilliant also.
    They are expensive but you get what you pay for,muds on wet tar are notoriously slippery not BFG.
    my latest set have around 30k on em and are about 1/3 worn, mate put kumho muds on his also have around 30k on em and they wont get the next warrent id say, his wagon has half the power does half the off road and my mum would be cursing if she was driving behind him
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I had a really good run out of a set of Hankook AT's with 5mm tread left after 110,000km. At the moment the tuck is wearing a fetching set of Nankang Mudtar MT's and I measured 3mm of wear after 35,000km.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    and my mum would be cursing if she was driving behind him
    Your mate would be complaining about being stuck behind me.

Before that I got 115,000km out of a set of Goodyear transporters on the van with less than half the tread gone when the side walls perished. For some reason the guy at the tyre shop swore at me when I went back for more tyres a few years after the first set and saw the mileage I got (had the original docket in the glove box and I had even bought their old ute rims to put them on).
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I had a really good run out of a set of Hankook AT's with 5mm tread left after 110,000km. At the moment the tuck is wearing a fetching set of Nankang Mudtar MT's and I measured 3mm of wear after 35,000km.

Your mate would be complaining about being stuck behind me.

Before that I got 115,000km out of a set of Goodyear transporters on the van with less than half the tread gone when the side walls perished. For some reason the guy at the tyre shop swore at me when I went back for more tyres a few years after the first set and saw the mileage I got (had the original docket in the glove box and I had even bought their old ute rims to put them on).
    I am gob smacked that you monitor this stuff. I stick tyres on, wear tyres out and stick more tyres on. Don't know what they are (beyond being black rubbery round things that go on my wheels). Some people worry about the darnedest things.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

NEED FOR SPEED: KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA SIX*-- ULTIMATE GYMKHANA GRID COURSE - YouTube
    just thought id throw this in he might need some new wheels too
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Mates just put some maxxis on his surf. Rekons there doing the business. Interesting to see how long they will last. As money is an issue NOW id give em a go for yaself and make the call on mileage next time round.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.