Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By HOWA308
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By P38
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By Nibblet

Thread: NEW PLB

NEW PLB

My new RescueMe PLB1 Beacon arrived today. Cost a total of $425 nz.
    Better than local retailers here offering the same unit on Trademe for $579!

Have just been online now and registered, so it's now ready to go.

This unit was purchased from Oz but is coded for NZ. See link below

Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1 New Zealand Coded | PLB | Adventure Safety
    Matt2308 and Gibo like this.

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    Why does it need NZ coding? Does this mean if I go on a round the world trip I need multiple PLBs or EPIRBs?

Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Why does it need NZ coding? Does this mean if I go on a round the world trip I need multiple PLBs or EPIRBs?
    No it means it is registered here so if you use it here then the RCC get notified automatically if you use it. If you use it outside NZ then they are still notified first and then they advise the rescue center in the country of activation ( or nearest one if at sea)

The reason to buy an NZ coded one is that by Default the local RCC is automatically notified, less delay. From activation to chopper on the way can be as quick as 10 minutes (so I am told). If you buy one coded for another country then you are relying on their system being as efficient as our own and notifying local RCC promptly.
    Pengy and Maca49 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

PLB - Personal Locator Beacon's - The Bloke

I have also posted this in the resource library section as it is a subject that comes up a lot
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

P38
    I got one of these recently too.

I view it as one of those essential bits of kit that you hope you never have to use, but when you do use it you hope it works well.

I even carry it on my motorcycle trips now.

Cheers
    Pete
    mikee likes this.

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    The linked article doesn't make that too clear as it says when registering you set the RCC.

The beacons.org page also contains information that clashes stating that " an alert will be sent to the Rescue Coordination Centre responsible for the region in which the distress incident is occurring" as well as to to RCC of registration. But goes on to state that if you don't get the NZ code you cant register it with their website, however the previous statement shows that RCCNZ will be the first to be advised...... confusing.

I will get a NZ one however, seen a few through the forums from kiwi suppliers at reasonable costs.

Be careful with this model, accidental activation is very easy compared to some others.
    Bushrash likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Be careful with this model, accidental activation is very easy compared to some others.
    I just put mine in its pouch backwards, flap can't be opened so button can't be pressed.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    I got one of these recently too.

I view it as one of those essential bits of kit that you hope you never have to use, but when you do use it you hope it works well.

I even carry it on my motorcycle trips now.

Cheers
    Pete
    I got a GPS so I don't get lost on NZ roads?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Never heard of a 'NZ' code inherent to the unit itself.

i will get in touch with the McMurdo guys and confirm. though i am picking they may not want to flat out say it makes no difference.

my understanding, is that it goes up to the satellite, then back down to the nearest station, which generally will be NZ, as you are in that area. i will confirm.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle