Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New swazi gear ? -ultralight tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Ooh yeah but swazi hugely different price piece in comparison.

I would imagine it to be more along the lines of the Yukon?

I like the weight of my wapiti though, makes it feel more cosy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That's what I like about my Tahr (I have three, original goretex, original Aègis, and new XP Aègis) they seem to give some warmth as well as keeping the rain out, I have a Chugach also and although it's good at keeping rain out and packs up small and light, it doesn't provide any warmth at all and I'm constantly worried I'm going to poke a hole in it
    Nibblet likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I reckon its happened mate.
    The one tough mother coat I brought last year is crap it leaks All ready and is way lighter than my older one that did 7 years of service.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Yeah mate your bang on.Had my last one tough mother for 8 years before it started leaking.My new one has done one winter and I’m getting wet in it.What are other farmers running??

Is Swazi still getting stitched together in Levin
    I know there have been "personal" upheavals in the Company - so maybe there is a change for the worse/China smack-ups ??

I will be honest about my exp with all this Modern stuff
    Its great on the Quad or Boat - but 15 mins into uphill slog you wish you did not have it with you
    But of course - if the uphill slog is towards a night or two away - you have to have something

I prefer wool against skin
    Good quality Pakistani Cotton on top of that (with long sleeves rolled up when working) a leather vest wool lined inside to put on moment you stop
    A light weight rain proof wind stopper handy when it blows or rain etc
    Dry change in pack and good sleeping bag with Bivvy Bag as cover on that

I have the Wapiti Swazi - and once its wet - the neoprene cuffs "never" dry out and the whole garment takes an awful lot of drying out once soaked
    ANOTHERHUNTER and A330driver like this.

All still made in Levin Sarvo.

Have you tried washing your Wapiti. If it gets filled up with dirt and crap it will hold water. Washing is the way to go. You could get it reproofed at a drycleaners as well for like $15

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yeah mate your bang on.Had my last one tough mother for 8 years before it started leaking.My new one has done one winter and I’m getting wet in it.What are other farmers running??
    I've been pretty happy with line7 glacier, had one of their jackets since they came out, they actually asked us to test them for them and gave me a set for each of my staff, they were built too light to begin with and we managed to tear a few so they went back to the drawing board and released them in the heavier fabric they are now and I have had my jacket about 4 or 5 years now still 100% watertight and it gets a thrashing through calving time only ever wash it by giving it a hose down.
    Savage1 and Monk like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Dad and a few others round the area swear by Kaiwaka. Hes had a jacket last 6 years and gets 3 years out of the overtrousers. This is with sheep and beef using in the race ect. Kaiwaka also have a life time warranty that they stand by and do free repairs
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
    Dad and a few others round the area swear by Kaiwaka. Hes had a jacket last 6 years and gets 3 years out of the overtrousers. This is with sheep and beef using in the race ect. Kaiwaka also have a life time warranty that they stand by and do free repairs
    I've used there stuff while working in the mines (west coast tops) and usually got 1 year out of a set, but it got a thrashing, coverd in grease/oil, laying under bull dozers/ machines out in the shit most days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    All still made in Levin Sarvo.

Have you tried washing your Wapiti. If it gets filled up with dirt and crap it will hold water. Washing is the way to go. You could get it reproofed at a drycleaners as well for like $15
    No I have not
    But wouldn't that make it "less" breatable ??
    Then you end up soaking wet from persperation

No Sarvo, it makes it more breathable because the fabric is not clogged up with dirt and whatever blocking the breathability

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    No Sarvo, it makes it more breathable because the fabric is not clogged up with dirt and whatever blocking the breathability
    I have washed it many times - and it has never been clogged with dirt or grime
    But I have not used a water repelent treatment on the outside

Perhaps I am just to heavy a perspiring old man

Techniflex iso

Kaiwaka has been good gear on the farm jacket is coming up five years and i use two pairs of leggings, use them for drenching and crutching. boss loves wet sheep. My old swazi tahr must be about 14 years old and been a good jacket, its up for replacement now and have to say i got my moneys worth from it. Was going to replace it with another swazi when i have the funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    That's what I like about my Tahr (I have three, original goretex, original Aègis, and new XP Aègis) they seem to give some warmth as well as keeping the rain out, I have a Chugach also and although it's good at keeping rain out and packs up small and light, it doesn't provide any warmth at all and I'm constantly worried I'm going to poke a hole in it
    I also have the Chugach, I'd never use it to bush bash, simply have it as a shell. I have the Yukon for the shitty stuff.

Having said that, I have a family friend dropping off a new Swazi Kagoule today to test out over the next few weeks, see how it goes in Haast. He is a guide and had been testing the gear in Fiordland, highly rates it.

I get annoyed at the shortness of the Yukon and getting a wet ass

LOC
    wouldn't it be nice if Kuiu had a longer tail on their jackets. my Chugach rides up over the hips when you bend over.. almost ruins an otherwise great jacket

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    I also have the Chugach, I'd never use it to bush bash, simply have it as a shell. I have the Yukon for the shitty stuff.

Having said that, I have a family friend dropping off a new Swazi Kagoule today to test out over the next few weeks, see how it goes in Haast. He is a guide and had been testing the gear in Fiordland, highly rates it.

I get annoyed at the shortness of the Yukon and getting a wet ass
    mikee and hotsoup like this.

The new light weight Tahr is made of the same material as the 'Rifleman'. From what I have seen it appears to be the same styling as the Rifleman but with a longer Tahr cut. I think the team at Swazi will be the first to tell you the Rifleman and new Lightweight Tahr is not designed for bush bashing. More of a carry in your pack just in case, river or tops hunting type jackets.
    Everything is a compromise, heavier clothing is generally tougher; lighter clothing can be more susceptible to punchers and/or tears. I for one am pleased a local company is providing me with options.

Swazi provide a cleaning and repair service. I dropped my Wapiti and Tahr into the shop last year for some TLC. From memory it was around $35.00 to wash and reproof both jackets, and repair a number of holes in the wapiti (Bush-laywer does that). Pretty reasonable price I thought!
    Wildman and bigbear like this.
    See the unseen...