Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Newbie hunter. Which backpack?? Size?? Brand?? Other gear?

For Bush hunting i started off with a standard hunters element apex pack 35 40l i presume but now have moved to a big bum bag with harness and its brilliant for moving through and under scrub. I still have enough room for the epirb and emergency equipment which is a must have. If you are just doing day hunts and not carrying lots of gear id recommend one.
    TheJanitar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    $150???? Don't tell me that's the same one gun city has for $799...
    Yeap! Same one! It's a few years old now but going just as good as the day I got it! Name:  IMG_6783.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  165.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheJanitar likes this.

K95
    Get a 60L pack from a sports store and a decent pair of boots. Don't get talked into buying a bunch of crap from hunting and fishing.
    Most of the gear in that thread linked earlier is expensive kit acquired gradually and mostly bought for the sake of trying different things out. It's not a list of the best value for money gear available. Feel free to message me any gear you're thinking of buying for a second opinion.
    Pointer, Dicko and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    Get a 60L pack from a sports store and a decent pair of boots. Don't get talked into buying a bunch of crap from hunting and fishing.
    Most of the gear in that thread linked earlier is expensive kit acquired gradually and mostly bought for the sake of trying different things out. It's not a list of the best value for money gear available. Feel free to message me any gear you're thinking of buying for a second opinion.
    I like that approach.. i do feel like a alot of their products are sometimes overhyped/overpriced for what they are. Im looking at two bags on trademe at the moment, theyre both 50l. is this enough for the odd weekend long hunting trip?

kathmandu altai 50l or the macpac torlesse 50l? they seem similar. Altai is cheaper though.

Kathmandu Altai 50l Tramping pack | Trade Me

Macpac Torlesse 50 | Trade Me

cheers
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

K95
    50L is fine . I use 38L for shorter trips now. Used 55L for a long time. You will need to strict on how much spare clothes you take to save enough space for meat.
    I would buy the Mac pac over a Kathmandu.
    TheJanitar likes this.

Camel bags are great , id look for a compatible backpack if you like lots of water
    TheJanitar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    50L is fine . I use 38L for shorter trips now. Used 55L for a long time. You will need to strict on how much spare clothes you take to save enough space for meat.
    I would buy the Mac pac over a Kathmandu.
    Oh okay awesome, 60-70, especially 70, seems waaaay too big to comfortably carry and hunt with... I don't know how guys are able to hunt with them and still enjoy it, I realise u don't have to fill it up but the bigger my bag is the more I would want to put in it I'm pretty easy when it comes to spare clothes. All i would take is a spare t-shirt and pants to sleep in, and undies and socks. All ill need for a couple of days in the bush imo. Might have a change of heart once I've actually done it I suppose haha. Okay other sources tend to suggest the same, macpac it is! Do proper hunting packs come up in the forums frequently or should I bite the bullet and grab this torlesse?

Thanks

You should be able to get a pack like that brand new from the Macpac clearance website... Awesome deals come up frequently.. Don't rush into anything and never ever pay full retail... Sales are your friend! Check out bivouac as well, they have really good deals on exped mattresses etc..
    TheJanitar likes this.

thanks for all the replies guys! helps a lot.

anyone have any experience with kiwi camping gear?

gf has this: Kiwi Camping Explorer 60L Tramping / Hiking Pack

and shes willing to basically give it to me for free.. looks good to me. would be nice to hear from someone whos actually had some experience with their products.

cheers

I get away with a 40L hunters element but skimp a little basically only take the clothes im wearing but do take an extra pair of socks ,beanie, thermals top & bottom (dry camp cloths) pluss a raincoat , tent ,sleeping bag, multifule cooker, mutton cloth or pillow case & freeze dry food iv got a plb now as well .the best thing about a smaller pac is it becomes the daybag once camp is setup but that said my mate takes a 70L in & dosnt have to worry about strategically packing & he always takes his slippers to ...they do look cosy ! pluss to be fare once winter arrives id probably be a little reluctant to travel that light a 60L should be a pretty good all rounder I mite get one my self some time soon then il be able to find room for some slippers to ...after a day walking in meindles they are sooo good
    TheJanitar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    thanks for all the replies guys! helps a lot.

anyone have any experience with kiwi camping gear?

gf has this
    and shes willing to basically give it to me for free..
    Borrow it for a hunt or two ...see if it fits your needs and is up to the task before outlaying serious money for one of your own. If it passes the test buy her something nice (less than what you were gonna spend on a pack) you will be in the good books and have a free pack. If it doesn't pass the test , well lesson learned and get something more suitable
    Biggun708, Awaian and TheJanitar like this.

As a newbie dont get caught up buying shit you don't need. I would suggest one pack to start with, so make it a decent size. You don't have to fill it right up Spend your money on gas for hunting trips. Only time on the hill will refine your gear, and separate your want list from your need list.

As for brands, keep an eye out on trademe or even this forum. Look for a macpac cascade which is a legendary pack. Have seen second hand ones go for as little as $60. Try and get the older type, they are very tough.
    gadgetman, Gibo, blake and 2 others like this.

Thanks to everyone for their input, this has been incredibly helpful! now if the firearms officer can sort his ass out and get that license posted it'd be great!

A decent red stag will easily yield 30 kg + of meat. If I'm on a day hunt a 35 litre pack is just enough. If multi day trips I would suggest you need at least 70 litres.
    You will need to fit a tent or fly, sleeping bag, sleeping mat , raincoat​, spare dry clothing for camp, cooking gear.
    Cactus BLT or Macpac Torre would be my pic. I use a Torre and it's bloody good.
    tikka and TheJanitar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    A decent red stag will easily yield 30 kg + of meat. If I'm on a day hunt a 35 litre pack is just enough. If multi day trips I would suggest you need at least 70 litres.
    You will need to fit a tent or fly, sleeping bag, sleeping mat , raincoat​, spare dry clothing for camp, cooking gear.
    Cactus BLT or Macpac Torre would be my pic. I use a Torre and it's bloody good.
    I've tried a 70l loaded pack on and it just seems way too big for me to comfortably hunt with.. 60l feels much better to me, I won't be taking any cooking gear as I'll just take ready to eat food with me so maybe I can save on space that way for a 60l pack to be big enough for gear and that meat from a deer? Thanks