Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: night and day - tatonka vz osprey

night and day - tatonka vz osprey

man what a massive difference between packs just got a new Tatonka bison 75+10 and my old hunting pack an 10yr old osprey aether 60

Spent this last roar hunting sika for 6weeks and the osprey loaded with 35kg was a killer had to stop for a break every 2km just to recover
    loaded this tatonka pack up with 30kg of gear and its like night and day what a massive difference it makes
    Moa Hunter, dannyb, Ned and 1 others like this.

Yep, the Tatonka really handles a load well. I’ve got the same pack and really rate them
    dannyb likes this.

Interesting, the Bison aye? I’ve got the Yukon and tbh I think it’s a great pack also.
    Found it hard to find an Osprey as I liked the idea of having a small pack built it for food meat etc but I’ve never regretted this Yukon. It’s comfortable and no frills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

There's a reason they are popular, not the lightest pack on the market but they are robust and carry a load very well as already mentioned.
    #DANNYCENT

How you load it makes a difference too. I usually put meat at the bottom of my pack so any blood doesn’t drip through the rest of the pack. My last trip I put the meat on the top, was much nicer. Didn’t feel as heavy and didn’t pull back on my shoulders as much.
    199p, Carbine, dannyb and 1 others like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    How you load it makes a difference too. I usually put meat at the bottom of my pack so any blood doesn’t drip through the rest of the pack. My last trip I put the meat on the top, was much nicer. Didn’t feel as heavy and didn’t pull back on my shoulders as much.
    That’s how I was taught to load a pack, top heavy.

I was taught 2 ways
    Weight at bottom pulls your hips down keeps back straight...less loading

Weight at top loads the hip belt....and if you have hips and not a puku...hips take load and easier on shoulders.

Option 2 is no longer me
    Steve123 and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxton View Post
    I was taught 2 ways
    Weight at bottom pulls your hips down keeps back straight...less loading

Weight at top loads the hip belt....and if you have hips and not a puku...hips take load and easier on shoulders.

Option 2 is no longer me
    What about if you don't have hips or a puku I have always struggled with getting hip belts to sit where they are meant to with my pencil shape. My new Spika pack seems to sit well though so far.

I suppose it comes down to picking a pack on how you intend to use it. Im not suprised the osprey was a killer because it was overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    What about if you don't have hips or a puku I have always struggled with getting hip belts to sit where they are meant to with my pencil shape. My new Spika pack seems to sit well though so far.
    I struggle with that a bit too. No real hips so the hip belt either must to so tight that feels like pelvis is getting squashed widthwise, or it's causes weight to sit on top of butt muscles while they're working hard

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    You need an over size lumbar pad

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterdave View Post
    I suppose it comes down to picking a pack on how you intend to use it. Im not suprised the osprey was a killer because it was overloaded.
    even when it had 20kg in it same deal get a couple km's then stop for 20 to recover abit

Packs are like boots you got fine one that fits you iv tried the tatonka packs with a bit weight on it a the shop & found it the most uncomfortable pack to put on but then I'm a small guy tho

It really is interesting alright how some have the opposite opinion.
    Apart from my poppa’s (mine now) old kidney ripper pack, all these new packs seem to be comfortable but just need to suit the individual.

Dan M

Ah ok, you can upgrade the belt and straps of the aether to the zenith which should make it more comfortable. The Tatonka do have a good name for carrying heavy weights, but they are pretty heavy to start with. Not really an issue for the bigger guys but us lightweights try to cut what weight we can.