Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Non Biased hunting clothing advice

Non Biased hunting clothing advice

I have a wapiti ballot block this year and wanted to know what gear to prepare for a fiordland hunt I usually just do shorts and long johns and if it's wet I have a good raincoat. But what I want to know is it worth wearing pants instead of the traditional shorts and long johns I have looked at stoney creek landsborough pants tundra waterproof trousers overtrousers etc but can't come to a conclusion as I have never had any experience with any of these types and it's hard to know if ya local hunting and fishing is just trying hard to sell products. Would love to hear people's exsperience and ideas I don't want to get something that's only good for one type of hunting.

Cheers
    Southhunter

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'd just wear you usually do & get a good pair off light water proof / wind proof / breathable over trousers
    Southhunter and caberslash like this.

All the best photos of Wapiti heads look like the guys were dressed in an op shop.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, Brian and 9 others like this.

See if army and outdoors have any British waterproof trousers in stock. $60 I think they were brand new, not super light but cheap and cheerful and likely more durable than hunting gear.
    Southhunter likes this.

If you decide to buy some gear @Sarvo does good stuff.
    Southhunter and paremata like this.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Stick to your normal, just make sure no holes in long jongs for sand Flys, and get yourself a head net

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Southhunter and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

The stoney creek dream bull overtrou, can get them on an off without taking off your boots an they dry quick. They will more than likely have a few holes by the end of 10 days in fiordland but so would the expensive an trendy stuff
    chainsaw and Southhunter like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I haven't hunted in Fiordland, but have done some tramping, including three consecutive days of 150+mm of rain. I'm a longjohns and shorts guy too, and that's what I wore, and wouldn't have worn overtrou even if I had them. But tramping isn't the same as hunting - I was either moving or at the hut, whereas sitting glassing for long periods some sort of waterproof overtrou would be more comfortable.
    I second hillclimba's headnet suggestion, even though good insect repellant stops the sandflies landing on you, the cloud buzzing a few mm in front of your face will drive you nuts!!!
    Southhunter likes this.

I had some under armor long johns. The cool ones not the warm ones. Not too hot dried fast and lasted well.
    Great for sandflies.
    Southhunter likes this.

+1 for the SC DreamBull pants

H.M
    I hunt the southern alps in winter in shorts and long johns, never been cold, wear what you usually do you will be sweet.
    As others have said, just take a pair of waterproof pants and your good to go.

A good quality waterproof coat. I use a Swazi torrent. It dries quick and Can unzip front if getting too hot. Got two good pockets for gps, hat, gloves etc. got dream bull over pants. Go ok and pack small enough to not be too cumbersome. Take a few thermals, any brand really will do. I always take a spare thermal top and bottom in plastic bag in case I get caught out. Some sort of warm mid layer. Nice warm beanie and a sun hat. Quality socks - if you walk a lot good socks will make it more pleasant. Good hunting.
    Southhunter and Moa Hunter like this.

If using coarse weave woolen socks try a pair of thin dress socks on first and the woolen socks over them, saves the coarse weave biting into your sole.
    This works even if you don’t get wet feet.
    Southhunter, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

I would steer clear of pants that are aimed at winter or being warm as they will be far too heavy and miserable when soaking wet in Fiordland. I would stick with your status quo and some waterproof pants or add some lighter pants in there. On my fiordland trip last year I wore Kuiu Attacks Pants which were exceptional, most comfortable pant i’ve ever used. I was also able to dry them by just wearing them under the fly out of the rain through body heat. Plenty of other good options too, modern gear (pants) are pretty good. I absolutely hate feeling restricted so a good pant needs to feel as good as shorts for me. I also had long johns and a pair of shorts and waterproof pants (HE Obsidian).

I used the Stoney creek fast hunt pants and top for our last Fiordland trip, amazing gear, super light weight and dries quick as if it gets wet. wore them everyday with no issues, then just layered with warm or wet weather gear if needed
    Low box likes this.