Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: PLB prices going down

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Emailed them, their blurb for the one I bought seems to indicate it will work in NZ, I will find out
    How did you get on with this?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yeah it'll work fine in NZ they reckon.

Anyone know how long it would take SAR in NZ to get your signal ? , watching that promo vid it shows that long distance satiate orbits every 24 hrs but had a huge view . It be worth knowing what worst wait time on signal getting back would be .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Especially if your hanging out for a smoke!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Munsey and madmaori like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

NZ registered beacon with its own internal GPS, ie Country coded for NZ and properly registered in NZ I would expect 30mins to 50 minutes or less from activation to action happening. By the time they ring the emergency contacts to check its a valid activation and sort a chopper closest.

If brought overseas and properly registered with the authorities in the counrty of purchase I reckon a couple of hours by the time they check the activation is valid, its location and pass it on to NZ SAR
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    NZ registered beacon with its own internal GPS, ie Country coded for NZ and properly registered in NZ I would expect 30mins to 50 minutes or less from activation to action happening. By the time they ring the emergency contacts to check its a valid activation and sort a chopper closest.

If brought overseas and properly registered with the authorities in the counrty of purchase I reckon a couple of hours by the time they check the activation is valid, its location and pass it on to NZ SAR
    And that's only if you have to wait for the gps. A lot of them get picked up by aircraft pilots having their ear drums rattled on the emergency band.

I went halves in one of these with a hunting buddy and we share it which is a good way to break up the cost.

Got it in January from Burnsco Marine which was about $20 more expensive than getting one off trade me if I remember correctly but I prefer to deal with a store that I can physically take it back to if it ever needs servicing (no the batteries don't last forever!)

I'm a little worried though with quite a few people setting them off when they aren't really in great danger, it makes me wonder whether search and rescue take these signals very seriously.

Tardy tramper blasted for chopper pickup | Stuff.co.nz

Timaru Hunter Found After Search And Rescue Near... | Stuff.co.nz

Locator beacon cries for help - from tip | Stuff.co.nz

Discarded beacon sparks huge search | Stuff.co.nz

I know there are lots of success stories but stories like these worry me about our investment! Personally I wouldn't be setting this thing off just because I got bushed and had to spend a cold night in the bush...
    Otay1000 likes this.
    Hard on the gear...

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Apparently not

Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1 Smallest PLB | PLB | Adventure Safety

Free shipping might only work to .au addresses....
    Just ordered one of these. They work in NZ. Cost all up with no shipping costs at all required was NZ $425. Lets hope I don't have to use it in the next 7 years of its battery life time before replacing them.

Until reading this thread,Iv'e always carried a pigeon. The wee bugger will be delighted to become retired.
    JoshC, GravelBen, Rusky and 2 others like this.

And those trampers that died on Mt Egmont were in contact with help via their phones but they just couldn't get to them - so having the gadget is no substitute for planning for the weather!
    southernredneck likes this.

The ocean signal model above that will apparently "work" in NZ..... Does anyone have any details more than "it'll work"?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Until reading this thread,Iv'e always carried a pigeon. The wee bugger will be delighted to become retired.
    The problem with pigeons is that if they fly over Toby's way he will put them in a pie.
    JoshC and Toby like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Antsman. Yes they work in NZ or any where in the world.

this one seems like a bloody good price might have to get me one, ACR RESQLINK 406MHz GPS PLB AUST CODED BEACON | Trade Me or this one OCEAN SIGNAL AUSTRALIA rescueME GPS PLB1 Beacon | Trade Me decisions....

That ACR one is a very sharp price. They're $US224 in the states (equates to $NZ290). They cost $80-$90 to get them reprogrammed with the NZ country code, so with all the faffing about sourcing one stateside, importing it, getting it reprogrammed, you may as well buy the one you've found on TardMe.