Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Problems with warranty relating to Lowa boots?

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I had a similar experience with another brand - red setters. A good Canadian brand. I discovered that boots have a use-by date of about two years from manufacture. If they sit on the shelf that long unused they go off. The leathers and rubber hardens. Things tear because they can't stretch any longer. Shops know this but sell the boot anyway. And because the boot is out of date the importer can refuse warranty. That was what I learned.
    The warranty is from the day sold, not date of manufacture, it could take up to six months for a product to reach the seller, who ever sold you that tale was one hell of a salesman

Lowa angst is not uncommon. Some people are of course happy with theirs, but for an expensive boot there are many tails of wow and there seems to be a lack of support for the product here in NZ. Personally I would never touch a pair.
    tetawa, mikee, Steve123 and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

when u buy something through a retailer (store). It is the store you only have to deal with, not the distributor. That is the stores responsibility.
    If something fails. Under the CGA, it is the store that has to put it right. they can then have the shit fight with the distributor.
    Always keep the receipt. even take photos of it as the receipt paper & ink always fades over age. and some paper fades faster that others.
    i have heard of some shops purposely buying the receipt paper/ink that fades fast.
    You can also use for CC statement from the bank to help back you up if you have lost the paperwork.
    Record who you speak to each time u talk to them. also the date and time.

remember, u dont have to accept store credit either if being paid out. In fact, it they offer u store credit, ask for at least another 50% on top of it. if they want your business, you'll get it. AND they will still be making money off you.
    otherwise take the cash and run
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    when u buy something through a retailer (store). It is the store you only have to deal with, not the distributor. That is the stores responsibility.
    If something fails. Under the CGA, it is the store that has to put it right. they can then have the shit fight with the distributor.
    Always keep the receipt. even take photos of it as the receipt paper & ink always fades over age. and some paper fades faster that others.
    i have heard of some shops purposely buying the receipt paper/ink that fades fast.
    You can also use for CC statement from the bank to help back you up if you have lost the paperwork.
    Record who you speak to each time u talk to them. also the date and time.
    You mention "receipts"
    Have you or anyone else noticed in recent times - often the retailer will ask "do you want your receipt" - while they are actually holding it out from the Eftpos machine ???
    Your comment above sparked me into wondering - is there a reason for this change of pattern ??
    Scooby likes this.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I had a similar experience with another brand - red setters. A good Canadian brand. I discovered that boots have a use-by date of about two years from manufacture. If they sit on the shelf that long unused they go off. The leathers and rubber hardens. Things tear because they can't stretch any longer. Shops know this but sell the boot anyway. And because the boot is out of date the importer can refuse warranty. That was what I learned.
    Use by date did they still taste ok

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Use by date did they still taste ok
    Let me tell you something about these "modern" boots
    Yes - they do have a "use-by" date

With the tread peeling off problem
    Mostly is to do with age-lack of use and/or storage in humid atmosphere

So if a boot is manufactured in say 2103 and sold new in a shop in 2019 - AND - it came from a humid storage - its a ticking time bomb for the peel off tread
    There is a material/compound (maybe the scientist on here can give a more accurate description) between the Vibram tread and the inner sole your foot is on
    Its a PU material - Polyurethane foam type product that deteriorates over time - sped up by the above scenarios

This is what it looks like when it starts to happen - I liken it to dry crumbly cottage cheese like texture - but black not white

PS
    This is a guy that @JoshC recommended some time ago and he resoled the following and a few others I sold to chaps that failed

Hamish Murie
    Bennetts Shoe Service
    169 Tay Street
    Invercargill

Send them away to him with a pre-paid return Post Bag and leave the rest to him
    Include an email address and he will bill you when completed

Name:  IMG_0723_resize.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  250.1 KB
    Last edited by Sarvo; 18-05-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Let me tell you something about these "modern" boots
    Yes - they do have a "use-by" date

With the tread peeling off problem
    Mostly is to do with age-lack of use and/or storage in humid atmosphere

So if a boot is manufactured in say 2103 and sold new in a shop in 2019 - AND - it came from a humid storage - its a ticking time bomb for the peel off tread
    There is a material/compound (maybe the scientist on here can give a more accurate description) between the Vibram tread and the inner sole your foot is on
    Its a PU material - Polyurethane foam type product that deteriorates over time - sped up by the above scenarios

This is what it looks like when it starts to happen - I liken it to dry crumbly cottage cheese like texture - but black not white

PS
    This is a guy that @JoshC recommended some time ago and he resoled the following and a few others I sold to chaps that failed

Hamish Murie
    Bennetts Shoe Service
    169 Tay Street
    Invercargill

Send them away to him with a pre-paid return Post Bag and leave the rest to him
    Include an email address and he will bill you when completed

Attachment 111479
    Yep , worth noting that this is not brand specific, any pu soles can do this I believe.

I had the rand on my Meindls fall apart after a short period of time where the NZ agent said that’s normal & wouldn’t help

I emailed Mendl HQ who in turn emailed the NZ rep & my boots were replaced!

Pays to go to the top!
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    You mention "receipts"
    Have you or anyone else noticed in recent times - often the retailer will ask "do you want your receipt" - while they are actually holding it out from the Eftpos machine ???
    Your comment above sparked me into wondering - is there a reason for this change of pattern ??

Because a lot of the time people dont want another bit of paper that they will just throw out . I put the receipt in the box or bag with higher end stuff .
    But all shop staff will pick discarded / not taken receipts off the counters often.

I'm getting the jitters now as I am looking at getting a new pair of boots and was going to go for the Lowra Tibets but am worried now
    When hunting think safety first

If - you guys are interested
    I will post pics of Boot soles/treads
    You will not see the brand (may recognize from prior experience) so as to not be bias or look bias
    I have a good (and not so good) experience in these "top end" boots now and can show from my observations the soles that appear to be best for lasting/wearing and not peeling off

Hit the like if you want and will see if many interested

As Savage says above
    "this is not brand specific, any PU soles can do this"
    Correct - but there does seem to be a pattern or particular design that is more prone

while I tend to keep receipts on more important items, something I have meant to do more often is take a photocopy, or I suppose nowadays a pic from your phone of the receipt somewhere as long as you save it.
    I have seen ink on a carefully stored receipt fade so much after 12 months it was almost useless hence the photocopy.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    I'm getting the jitters now as I am looking at getting a new pair of boots and was going to go for the Lowra Tibets but am worried now
    A lot better options available!

Following are photos of "used" boot soles (treads)
    These boots are ex street boots and most had never seen dirt - only snow
    Hence they look in "as new" condition.

First up Pictures are soles from boots I have witnessed as been more likely to peel
    Second lot - been no issues (sure there is still exceptions)

Name:  IMG_0267_resize.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0381_resize.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0428_resize.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0007_resize.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  159.6 KB