Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 2 Post By Shamus_
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Bol Tackshin

Thread: Question about drilling hole in carbon fibre pole

Question about drilling hole in carbon fibre pole

Been mulling over buying a shooting stick but gorse in the pocket has been holding me back. That everything I have seen is probably a good shooting stick but seem quite average as a walking pole.
    I could ask my wife to sew something like TAC MTN RIFLE REST but have wondered about even simpler by drilling the finest of holes through my carbon fibre walking pole which I really like as a pole.
    Is this a good idea or would I soon be looking for a new walking pole?

IM GUESSING if you applied some araldite type rosin around hole to strengthen immediate area you should be fine.....but if its an expensive pole..... bit risky without knowing.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

What about a pair of quick sticks?

Carbon fibre walking poles aint very strong to start with, drill a hole in it and you diminish its integral strength, possibly by quite a bit. Think outside the square a wee bit - can you put a sleeve over the outside of the pole and have your hole/attachment point on the sleeve.

Good answers
    I am guilty of overthinking this stuff but sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know
    I assumed it wasn’t a good idea partly because of all the different solutions on the market but I have found out again and again that there are some clever people on this forum who think right outside the box
    - As you wisely say bit risky without knowing
    - I usually hunt with only one pole and I think you need both poles for Quick Sticks?
    - Thanks for encouragement to think outside the square, I will watch video on the TAC Mtn Rest again and see about planning a version of this

try doing this...hold rifle as normal...but grip stick with smallest two fingers of offside hand....you get the adjustability height wise,can pivot with ease and still are rather steady,and dont need to jeopardize your poles integrity
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I shoot off my walking poles all the time - just put your non-trigger hand through the wrist strap so the pole is resting on the back of your hand and hold the rifle as you normally would. Works me me anyway ...
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

1 or 2mm woven cord - slightly finer than paracord but the same thing. Whip that onto the carbon pole with a loop of paracord in the whipping and then a coating of epoxy over the top - kind of like a fishing rod eye. Strong as hell, but can be removed whenever you need.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Staffnurse41 View Post
    Good answers
    I am guilty of overthinking this stuff but sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know
    I assumed it wasn’t a good idea partly because of all the different solutions on the market but I have found out again and again that there are some clever people on this forum who think right outside the box
    - As you wisely say bit risky without knowing
    - I usually hunt with only one pole and I think you need both poles for Quick Sticks?
    - Thanks for encouragement to think outside the square, I will watch video on the TAC Mtn Rest again and see about planning a version of this
    If only using one pole, change it out for a decent mustering stick and shoot off that. It can be locked between the right instep and across the left knee for standing or angled onto a bush or tree at 45 degrees if sitting or even laid on top of a springy bush to give a firm rest
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

do you know anyone with a 3d printer? Perhaps they could print you up something to clamp to your walking stick to rest your rifle on..... save you drilling a hole in your walking stick you like.

If it is a woven carbon tube it will be fine just be careful if it is pultruded it would fragilise it quite a bit as fiber only run in the length

20 Bore likes this.

There are great ideas there and I have a rifle to sight in sometime in the next 2 weeks so will give some of these a go - thanks