Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Chur Bay
  • 2 Post By Hunty1
  • 1 Post By uk_exile
  • 1 Post By Bol Tackshin
  • 1 Post By Shorty
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 2 Post By uk_exile
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By mopheadrob

Thread: Repaiiring air mat? - Micro leaks across whole surface

Repaiiring air mat? - Micro leaks across whole surface

I suspect it's a lost cause and is trash however does anyone have a method to seal an air mat that has dozens of micro leaks across it's surface?
    When held underwater they're only tiny bubbles but there's so many it's flat in just a couple of minutes. It's like the fabric has become porous.
    Hasn't had much use, maybe 20 nights so not worn out and has been treated well, always in tent or on ground sheet if under fly. Strangely it's the upper surface too, not the underside.

Get a new one. Go for thicker material over light weight.
    Moa Hunter and MB like this.

Warranty claim.

I had a vaude one that did that, apparently bad batch of fabric that coating was applied correctly to. Made for an uncomfortable week in the hills.
    Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Warranty claim.

I had a vaude one that did that, apparently bad batch of fabric that coating was applied correctly to. Made for an uncomfortable week in the hills.
    More than 3yrs old so not an option :-(

Small dots of a product called aquaseal is one thing I've done with air beds, mats, air bladders and quite a few things in fact like kids pool toys... But if you've got that many leaks you might be barking into thunder. If it's a really good one maybe you could coat it with one of the rubberised glue coatings, but probably cheaper to buy a new mat.

I'll buy a new mat :-(
    Annoying it failed so quickly.
    Micky Duck likes this.

A bit of Slime for inner tubes? Supercheap auto stocks a range of the stuff.
    uk_exile likes this.

Unfortunately It’s a bit of a lost cause when they’re like that, I had a thermarest that blew into a Spaniard bush when on the tops n I chased those leaks trying to save the mat but each time I camped out next morning it would be flat again. Best to buy another one.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Unfortunately It’s a bit of a lost cause when they’re like that, I had a thermarest that blew into a Spaniard bush when on the tops n I chased those leaks trying to save the mat but each time I camped out next morning it would be flat again. Best to buy another one.
    Yeah, its a real bugger as it was treated well but has failed anyway :-(
    My suspicion is it may have got too hot in car sometime and that's caused fabric to fail.

Mate lost about 3 one summer when he stored them in the roof space. got too hot and the glue broke down. They all started to leak around the edges.
    Z
    Micky Duck likes this.

I managed to POP two different ones years apart..strangely enough my companions on both occasions (you know who you are) found it hilarious both times.
    yip the sleeping on spare clothing grows old fast....last duck season I finnally gave in and took a camp stretcher like everyone else had been doing.
    dannyb likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I managed to POP two different ones years apart..strangely enough my companions on both occasions (you know who you are) found it hilarious both times.
    yip the sleeping on spare clothing grows old fast....last duck season I finnally gave in and took a camp stretcher like everyone else had been doing.
    I had this happen to me on a 4wd trip way up the Wilberforce (just below Giffords stream for those in the know) to make matters worse I had been ribbing my convoy mates all day as they had all bought there lightweight but not very comfortable sleeping matts and I had bought a full size double air mattress only to hear it hiss the second I inflated it no patches, no glue, no backup plan and far to tall to sleep in the truck in any way shape or form spent 2 nights sleeping on a pile of clothes on stoney ground. served me bloody right
    character building stuff
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I discovered the leaks instantly on first night of a 3 day trip. First night was not pleasant.
    Second night set my tent up in this spot and slept pretty well. Ground under the moss even had a suitable dip in hip area :-)
    Third night we'd started return trip so was in a DOC hut. Preferred the moss!
    Name:  IMG_6693.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  9.07 MB

FYI yes, I took a chair on a 4 day hunting trip with 40+km walked and likely 2500+m of elevation gain. It was a Christmas gift from wife so felt compelled to take it.
    Will I take it again? Hell yes! It was so good around camp and for some glassing. Very comfy, very portable.
    Weighs <800gms and can take 130kg person.
    They're now selling a 2.0 version. New version heavier 980gm but can support 150kg. https://kilosgear.com/products/outdoor-chair-2
    I see other brands make similar looking chairs.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

whenever Im setting up tent I will lay on ground to check for pinecones/rocks/roots etc that will dig into me during the night....too easy to do it when tent is pegged out but not put up yet too.
    uk_exile likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Second night set my tent up in this spot and slept pretty well. Ground under the moss even had a suitable dip in hip area :-)
    Third night we'd started return trip so was in a DOC hut. Preferred the moss!
    Ha ha! Was a good spot alright - was hilarious how Sacha (the dog) liked it so much she climbed into your tent whenever we turned our backs!

And I take back all the stick we gave you about that chair, it’s just a shame you didn’t manage to drop that pig while you were sitting in it!!!

Shame about the mat, but an epic trip apart from that.
    uk_exile likes this.