Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rollerpack

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    wouldnt be hard to make something like that out of an old pushchair. Cant see it being a lot of use though.
    I would be more inclined to start with a sack barrow, add bigger wheel (s) (possible 12in or 14in bicycle wheels) and see how you get on. It doesn't sound like you will be out of action for too long, so not worth spending a fortune on something that will get used for a short time. If it is going to be expensive, I would invest in a beer or two and "hire" a mate to be a porter......

MSL
    It needs to be a single trailing wheel otherwise it will try and torque the harness this way and that when going over uneven terrain

Had any success with this project @akaroa1?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Had any success with this project @akaroa1?

Not yet.
    Tried the sack barrow on a waist belt around the farm and its hopeless as MSL indicated it would be... needs to be a single wheel like the Dixon or Monowalker.
    Have ordered a pack for my dog ( GWP ) and she should be able to help out with 5 to 10kg once thats arrived. It will be nice to slow her down especially after you shoot a deer ! she becomes insufferable roaring around while I have a huge pack load and go half speed. The pack will sort her out.
    Still keen on the concept as would be good for some of my intended pig areas also.

223nut is keen on a trip and had offered to carry a bit extra for me if Im going anywhere near his stamping ground.
    Progress with the shoulder is good but slow and only able to carry light day pack.
    But at least out hunting some easy spots on private land.
    Got a red / wapiti cross spiker last week.
    Nice big unit in great condition. Had the right hand ( usually shoot left handed but surgery was left shoulder ) bolt in Blaser and 308 bush pig barrel. 240m low into shoulder with 125 grain Accubond. Perfect ! smashed both shoulder bones above the elbow and took out front of the heart.
    Got a mate to come back the next day and we pulled out every scrap of meat.
    Quite a light colour meat compared to pure red stags.
    Roared at him to stop him walking and he didn't seem to care. Had got a red stag to roar back to me the night before.
    This one hadn't been wallowing and was spotless. They stand out like dogs bollocks those wapiti hybrids.

Name:  P1030791.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  1.16 MB

Then got asked to look out for some unwanted deer seen in a private conservation reserve. Thought it would be long shots so had the 300WSM barrel on.
    Had one roar at me one evening and went back early the next morning. There was heavy fog so the hunting was " hand to hand combat" and shot this hind and fawn inside 100m off hand wrong handed.
    Walked to a hilltop to phone another mate for the big carry.
    Went back down together an hour or so later just talking as you do ..... without the rifle as its mid morning now and I had already let the 2 shots off and ran straight into a red spiker at 50m ! It would have been too easy.
    Anyway as someone said above free venison and a few beers has done the trick so far with willing meat carriers.

Name:  P1030805.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  1.10 MB

Now note to self

" MUST SHOOT STAGS ONLY , MUST SHOOT STAGS ONLY " and the bigger the better.
    gadgetman and Matt2308 like this.