Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Rooftop "tents"

Quote Originally Posted by Ranal View Post
    Ive got a Feldon Shelter to get the lady friend out and about more. Very comfy. Been down to about -2º and felt comfy. I find the mattress good. Easy and quick set up/ pack away when you've done it a few times. No bedding set up.
    If you have a high shed or carport to drive under. I use a pulley block to lift it off. Made my own roof racks and brought Rhino Rack feet to match my roof racks. Very easy drive under, remove roof racks, lower tent, clip in and drive off. The rope is long enough to lower it to the ground once off the ute that way it can be opened and dried off the vehicle.

Cons: More fuel, wind noise, can't drive anywhere once set up. Levelling ramps are handy. Can condensate a little (i dry inside before packing away)

Attachment 170964
    Nice solution to a problem. You're an ideas man.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by steadwah View Post
    I see a lot of these systems strapped on pumped up utes on the motorways around Ak, but I think most of them are like moas... not often seen in the bush.
    id actually be surprised if they get used more than a couple of times...not much use parked outside a cafe

Quote Originally Posted by steadwah View Post
    Nice solution to a problem. You're an ideas man.
    Thank you. Works really well. some 50x25x2.5 RHS with a small bit of flat bar tigged on is a lot cheaper than the rhino rack bars. And a $40 6x pulley block from M10. The rope is shit but does the job. Have one permanently set up in a shed and carry another when travelling around. Especially when we go to the south island and stay with family. Find a tree, shed or anything high enough to get under and lift it off. Once on the ground the RHS sticks out one side and i can walk it across the ground vertically on its side and clip the roof racks back in.

You might need a lie down after a soy-decaf-vegan-gluten-latte in a non-gmo potato starch cup…

I will just reiterate that there is an awful lot of naysaying in this thread from guys that have never used a roof tent. And probably never will.

The only two guys to have replied that actually own roof tents, love them.

Nothing quite like hands on experience to form an objective opinion.
    Just...say...the...word

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I will just reiterate that there is an awful lot of naysaying in this thread from guys that have never used a roof tent. And probably never will.

The only two guys to have replied that actually own roof tents, love them.

Nothing quite like hands on experience to form an objective opinion.
    Are there any guy lines to set out, or is it 100% self supporting? I’ve never used one, but think they’re probably the best option for their intended purpose. Which is extended off-seal trips. I know I’d rather be in a roof tent on the side of a track, than set up a tent on the side of a track. Your not searching around for a suitable spot to pitch, just parking up. As for not being able to drive off once you’re set up, well where are you going anyway? I’m not that keen on driving off and leaving my tent camp all set up. If it suited me, I’d not be at all concerned about increased fuel usage or noise etc, the convenience at the other end cancels that out. Can they be mounted above a flat deck flush with the roofline, or does that create dust issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Ranal has got the right idea, by having a setup that makes taking it off and on as easy as possible.

They are a great idea for places like Africa, where there so many nasties wanting to make your acquaintance at night. But you certainly want to have the right roofrack setup. Not sure how many 'modern' utes have several hundred kg roof rack specifications these days?

My gawd am I glad I'm not so cynical!

Just imagine all the fun you've been missing... Gentle breeze, beautiful sunset, cozy bedding, hot chick, the amazing view... scenery wasn't bad either!

Jesus I might be tempted to sell the children just to time travel back to those days. Shit did I say that out loud?
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    A very good review on them but I can’t help noticing there seems to be a lot more con’s than pro’s
    Lol yep and if you take out shagging there's not many pros for NZ use and I'm not into shagging my mates when I go away, quite happy to wait until I get home to the misses . I didn't need to own one to suss out they are a waste of time and money for my uses in NZ.

I never used 1 myself, but I did have an alloy roof tray sorta thing on my old patrol and I used set my double swag on top of it, it worked out sweet. Bit tricky to climb up and down in middle of night if I gave the beers a nudge, but was awesome waking up in it off damp cold ground, heaps room for Mrs also, and rolled up to nothing and threw swag into back when done. Had a look at a mates roof tent, looks comfy, but is quite a big package on his Ute, and I wonder about leaving it on at a road end while hunting and getting pinched coz it’s easily undone and sits on his Ute 24/7, apart from that, I reckon they’re neat.

Jeeeze, that's pretty revealing!! Not much in the way of real useable capacity left once you venture off road

Now the old series land rovers a la Camel trophy style and solid 40 series LWB cruisers, yes you could stow an awful lot on top.

Now.....not so much
    Mohawk .308 likes this.

No guy lines unless you get the extended Feldon Shelter which would be nice as if its pissing with rain and you have to get out you get a wet arse. Just 8 sprung loaded poles to hold the fly out. Pretty quick to install there is a hole in the alu base and then spring into the fly. You don't need them if in a hurry but if its windy stops the flapping.
    Im 1.8m tall and can comfortably sit up inside. I have found them nice and cool even in the heat with all 4 sides having windows and bug mesh.

Can be a little annoying to get level on a track but i just carry some ramps made out of decking off cuts.

Yes can be mounted on a tray above the tub. OverlandNZ on youtube and insta has a hilux set up like that. Good if you don't need the tub.

If it was just me and not the lady friend i would probably just carry a swag and stretcher, and have a bigger awning out the side so it doesn't get covered in dew or rain. But she likes the space and the comfort so thats all good.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Another thing is to check how much weight your roof can take.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32xd9z4SZ4
    This is very interesting. I never really gave this too much thought. I see lots of roof top tents on top of those rhino racks. Not good.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    This is very interesting. I never really gave this too much thought. I see lots of roof top tents on top of those rhino racks. Not good.

I have a rhinorack. I looked the YT videos...am I right these guys pop riveted the trays to their roof?! WTF is that about. I have 3 holders on mine that the tray attaches too. No way would I used rivets through the roof.

The static load carrying must be ok because I greatly exceed the 75kg limit when I climb onto the rack!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    hotbarrels likes this.

Yours is solid as anything. And incredibly, yes, rivets!

Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.