Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Scheppach TiGer 2000S - Wetstone Grinder

Looking at getting a Scheppach wetstone grinder, anyone had anything to do with them? Pros cons?

Cheers Sam

I have one. Works all right with quality steel knifes. But not overly impressive with cheaper blades. There are better and cheaper systems out there to make a blade very sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsamdjt View Post
    Looking at getting a Scheppach wetstone grinder, anyone had anything to do with them? Pros cons?

Cheers Sam
    I have one mate. Scheppach used to be quality German gear, now like everything it is made a China, I believe. We use ours for chisels and plane blades mainly, but the knife jig is awesome and you can shave with the knives after your done (not as easy as most would believe). Just look after the stone real good. No complaints from my end, but I am not a real regular user.

That is much more affordable than a Tormek.
    Same principle, nothing to loose I’d say.

Cheers lads, yer only for a few butchery knives, hunting and kitchen knives so only use now and again.

One caveat with the Tormek for me is the slight dissymmetry in the bevel that the standard knife jigs can produce, so I presume this one should be similar.
    An offset in the bevel can be noticeable on either much thicker or thinner blades than the average blade width that the jig was designed for.
    Although it is entirely only a cosmetic issue, I will be buying the new centring jig when they come available in NZ in October as it bugs the hell out me.
    The speed at which you can produce truely a scary sharp edge will astound you.
    Repeatable, versatile and as importantly IMO, quick.
    I also echo the point about quality steel vs cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I have one. Works all right with quality steel knifes. But not overly impressive with cheaper blades. There are better and cheaper systems out there to make a blade very sharp.
    The cheap/soft steels probably end up with a big burr. Will need stropping and or passing the edge through the end grain of some soft timber a few times to break the burr off.

De burring cheap steels can be a bit of a process as the soft steel is so pliable.